Date: 22-05-24  Time: 13:43 pm

Author Topic: Numb backside and fingers.  (Read 2114 times)

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
Numb backside and fingers.
« on: 20 July 2013, 11:54:44 pm »
Ok, i've only had the bike for just under a week, so as you will probably understand, i'm riding it as much as possible, like you do when you get a fresh pair of wheels.
I really am over the moon with it, she handles brilliantly and runs well but i've come across a couple of problems that are ruining my riding pleasure.
The first one is that the seat isn't as comfy as i would have expected it to be, i like to be sat IN the bike, rather than ON it, my Ducati Monster had that kind of seating position, the bike seems to handle much better when sat in it.
Anyway, the problem is that after about 50-odd miles or so, my backside becomes rather uncomfortable and my wedding tackle is being pushed into the fuel tank, not sure if all Fazers have this problem?
The other one is that the fourth and fifth (little) fingers are getting numb after a similar number of miles as above.
There is a fairly high frequency vibe around the 6k mark, which is where i tend to cruise at, would this be causing the problems maybe?
I'm thinking of going up a tooth on the front sprocket, as that might move the vibe a touch, plus it would also give the engine a better cruising speed.
Any thoughts on this please?

G ; )
Life's a long song....

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Numb backside and fingers.
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2013, 07:02:12 am »
I suspect you'll need to get the seat shaved/restyled or buy a custom one if it's too high.

With regard to the vibration, mine vibrates at certain times and I just put up with it but I guess changing the ratio may have an effect on the sympathetic harmony but the effect would probably be to move it somewhere else in the rev range.  It may be worth checking your engine mounts and any other places where there are grommets/brings/rubber between two pieces of metal to see if they're perished or worn.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2013, 08:41:20 am »
Both my Fazers have had the seat problem. My current one less so but I think it's getting worse...

I have a pretty strong vibe on the right hand side of mine, which I'm yet to discover the cause. Sometimes balancing the carbs can help with that :) Engine mounts are certainly something to look at as well but since they don't use any rubber mountings I'm not sure what can be done if they look fine.

Sometimes the tyre's can create vibrations - I've heard people mention some weird noises / vibes from a Bridgestone BT021 on the front?

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2013, 08:51:57 am »
The seat does let you slide to the tank easily. I resist with my knees and legs, but for relaxed cruising it does make you work a bit more. You could have it reshaped. What I don't like about some reshaped seats is that they give you just one seating position and make it harder to slide forward-backward when you want to.

About the vibes: most fazers vibe around 6000 rpm. When carbs aren't tuned, the vibes tend to spread all the way from 5000 to 7000 rpm (and get worse), but 6000 is some resonant frequency that makes the bike vibe a bit. Solution? Carb sync, riding just above/below the mark, getting good leather gloves that and good grips that should dampen the vibes a bit.

Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

yamy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2013, 09:16:42 am »
I've got vibration through the tank and grips

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2013, 10:36:49 am »
Carb balance and heavier bar end weights will help.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2013, 11:21:51 am »
Cheers for the helpful comments guys.
I haven't got round to checking if any engine bolts/nuts have worked loose as yet but will check them today sometime.
The bike came with heated grips, which are quite thick and comfy but no weights on the bar-ends, might invest in some next week.
I have a mate who runs a dyno business on Anglesey, he sets up some of the race bikes for the TT and Irish road racers, so i might nip over to his place and have a chat with him.
He worked wonders on my Ducati Monster a few years ago.

Cheers again.

G ; )
Life's a long song....

Andy Smith FZS

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Superbyke RMR 125 (Non Runner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2013, 07:29:27 pm »
I did a 220 mile blast upto fort william and back on friday, weather was amazing.  Stopped for a fag, could barely spark it because my hands were so numb!
Was chatting away to another biker who mentioned he's had that before.  You could wear cycle shorts with padding to help the vibes.  Might give this a try before doing something about the actual seat.  Was not the most comfortable trip even though alot of the road was smooth, can only imagine what the guys on the sportsbikes have to put up with.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2013, 07:46:54 pm »
I've heard good things about these too:

http://www.airhawk.co.uk
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2013, 11:44:38 pm »
The airhawk looks interesting, anyone on here tried one yet?
My main problem is the front of the seat not going far enough up the tank, my mate has a Beemer K75s triple (no sniggering at the back please)!
His seat is quite comfy and he never seems to moan about arse numbing, plus the front of his seat goes quite a way up the tank, i need to thing about a solution to this really.
I mentioned on my post above, that i didn't have weighted bar-ends...well i do, just didn't notice them before, doh!!
Anyway, i might get the carbs balanced and see if that help with the vibes (or not).
Thanks again for the info guys.

G ; )
Life's a long song....

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2013, 11:51:26 pm »
if you dont mind splashing the cash, you might want to think about changing the seat altogether?

topsellerie do one which goes up the tank more at the front, but its a pricey solution:

http://www.topsellerie.co.uk/YAMAHA-FAZER-600-seats-petrol-tank-covers-tank-bags-motorbike_8_199.html

:)

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2013, 12:04:11 am »
Cheers Mick, yes a bit pricey as you say..but what price comfort?

G ; )
Life's a long song....

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2013, 12:09:19 am »
indeed. And a certain amount of bespoke-ness about them as well, so tailored to what you want from a colour/feature point of view. a type 3 (which goes up the tank) with the gel extra padding is probably highly carressive on the butt-cheeks :lol