Date: 28-04-24  Time: 09:12 am

Author Topic: iPod touch, gen 4 broken screen, repair / replacement advice please  (Read 1800 times)

nakedadder

• "Fat lad from Derby"
    imageSept 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050
    • View Profile
Our eldest daughter came home earlier absolutely distraught because she'd dropped her iPod touch and broken the screen. It's a Gen 4, 32Gb and, after a quick Google, it looks like the glass screen and LCD are bonded together, and need to be replaced as one. A few people have said that it is possible to separate the two parts, but the success rate of re-aligning everything when the replacement parts are bonded back together is not too high.
Does anyone have any experience of any such repairs or know of any repair centres that they would be happy to recommend?
Thanks in advance for any useful tips  :)
Sent from a fat foccer sitting in front of his pooter

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
sorry no Idea

But these people are just down the road from me and had heard nothing but good about them
https://mendmyi.com/

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I have repaired a few iPods/iPhones, though it is a fiddly job. The digitising screen and the display can be separated so if it's just the screen that's broken it can be a cheap fix if you follow one of the many online "how to" guides. Parts are surprisingly cheap.
FWIW, I've never had any success at prising apart iPods with the plastic tools supplied in the parts kits... a few single-edged razor blades snapped into narrow strips makes the task easier.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Fazerider just beat me to it.

I get parts from these people (see link) and have repaired and replaced parts in a few iPhones before, and can't imagine that an iPod will be any harder.

As said the online guides will help you. Also as said the kits are pretty crap and I've made my own tools for prising chassis apart.

http://www.iphonerepairsltd.co.uk/iphone-repairs-spares-news/iphone-parts-prices-reduced-for-diy-repairs/

Magnifying goggles also come in handy.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Rebuilt

• DAS Born Again
  • Varadero 1000 09...used to be 99 Fazer in pic
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - honda Varadero 1000 (09)
    • View Profile
hehe daughters n bloody phines ... mine did same thing n i ended up paying £65 to get it repaired localy ... then few days ago she broke the back aswell ... theres a few on ebay ... but i guess good old you tube for a how to
 this is how i fixed the back of my daughters i phone 4 
Working on this bit :OP

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Christ, I just read a mate's status on Facebook that she'd broken an Iphone.

Have done a few Nokias, but never an Iphone (I'm not a fan of Apple's newer products).

nakedadder

• "Fat lad from Derby"
    imageSept 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies folks, will be taking ipod to a local shop for repair on recommendation from several friends  :)
Sent from a fat foccer sitting in front of his pooter

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Well worth getting a screen for £15 off Ebay etc and following a simple guide.  Takes about 15 mins to replace yourself and it's really not as hard as it sounds.  I'm sure your local shop will charge you £50 for doing the same plus you won't get the same admiration from your eldest!!

« Last Edit: 08 May 2013, 10:36:37 am by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...