Date: 28-04-24  Time: 03:24 am

Author Topic: We are becoming an endangered species!  (Read 6499 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: We are becoming an endangered species!
« Reply #25 on: 31 July 2016, 06:19:36 am »
Think it more us older ones that actually ride them. Spent the last few weeks test riding and the amount of new models and stock levels suggest they are selling bikes to someone. Always fascinates me how many (younger)  people come up to admire mine in the work car park and start telling me about their bike. When I ask where it is they assure me it only gets used on sunny weekends and does 200 - 400 miles PER YEAR  :eek
Theres a world of difference between those who own a bike & those who ride them regularly regardless of whether its Sunday & the suns out
Risk averse culture?
Wouldnt they like to see us all in one long line of cars even if we werent able to get anywhere....?
Heres a question....How many motorcycle licences held in UK & How many bikes currently taxed,insured, with VED?
i see statistics suggesting there are around 37 million vehicles on our roads with a population of 64 million.
West Midlands is becoming increasingly like South East of country-Have noticed a huge increase in vehicles on road/parked up in last 5 years.
Seems to be everyones goal to own a car @ 17.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 July 2016, 06:58:54 am »
Think it more us older ones that actually ride them. Spent the last few weeks test riding and the amount of new models and stock levels suggest they are selling bikes to someone. Always fascinates me how many (younger)  people come up to admire mine in the work car park and start telling me about their bike. When I ask where it is they assure me it only gets used on sunny weekends and does 200 - 400 miles PER YEAR  :eek
Theres a world of difference between those who own a bike & those who ride them regularly regardless of whether its Sunday & the suns out
Risk averse culture?
Wouldnt they like to see us all in one long line of cars even if we werent able to get anywhere....?
Heres a question....How many motorcycle licences held in UK & How many bikes currently taxed,insured, with VED?
i see statistics suggesting there are around 37 million vehicles on our roads with a population of 64 million.
West Midlands is becoming increasingly like South East of country-Have noticed a huge increase in vehicles on road/parked up in last 5 years.
Seems to be everyones goal to own a car @ 17.

Been riding bikes 29 years now, got the highest grade in my school for Motor Vehicle Studies, yet still never driven a car!  :deal
This is maybe gonna sound strange, although probably not so much to you lot, but i don't feel safe in a car with other people driving,'cos their observational skills seem non existant to me.
I would much rather sit in the back, seatbelt firmly on, than have to endure a drivers tunnel vision with me pressing the floor like i'm trying to slow them down due to blatant dangers ahead.
The difference being, when that dipshit sack of spuds driver kicks open their door to get out, a car will just plough through it without a care in the world, better still it'll be the passenger who has to endure it.
A biker, in comparison, will hit that door and sustain untold damage, hence the reason we avoid such scenarios.....'cos it hurts as well.
If ever i get in my mums car for instance i feel like i need to wear my full bike protective gear 'cos she has this knack of skimming parked motors to the point of seeing your face in wing mirrors, which i find truly terrifying.  :eek  And it's every time as well, not just the odd occasion.
My dad used to be the opposite, he would always seem like we were about to have a head on smash, the car would always be a third over the centre road line with him.
Only driver i ever had full trust in was my oldest brother who had a CBX1000 waiting at home for him that he paid for himself when he passed his test on his 17th birthday, but in later life was also an HGV driver, so he knew the best of both worlds and had full knowledge of how drivers would think and react. Plus he crashed a Z1300 when he was 18 and knew the consequences of when it all went wrong.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 07:01:09 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 July 2016, 07:30:09 am »
Some interesting thoughts there, Darrsi !
There have only been 4 car drivers I have been a passenger with when I have felt entirely safe:
1 My Dad who had ridden bikes prewar in the army & was a professional driver most of his working life
2 A boss of company I worked for in the late 60s who was IAM qualified
3 Friend who rode bikes from Honda C90 to 1000cc superbikes from age 16 to 50 when he had to give up bikes due to health condition but was an excellent driver
4 Another friend who was a biker for many years before becoming a car owner/driver.

Everyone else-no thanks-dont trust their "reading of the road", awareness of potential hazardous situations. Tunnel vision? Yes-many just see whats in front of them & dont  take in "the big picture" so how can they make informed decisions? So many are "reactive" rather than using their faculties to take in all the available information.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 July 2016, 07:47:19 am »
Some interesting thoughts there, Darrsi !
There have only been 4 car drivers I have been a passenger with when I have felt entirely safe:
1 My Dad who had ridden bikes prewar in the army & was a professional driver most of his working life
2 A boss of company I worked for in the late 60s who was IAM qualified
3 Friend who rode bikes from Honda C90 to 1000cc superbikes from age 16 to 50 when he had to give up bikes due to health condition but was an excellent driver
4 Another friend who was a biker for many years before becoming a car owner/driver.

Everyone else-no thanks-dont trust their "reading of the road", awareness of potential hazardous situations. Tunnel vision? Yes-many just see whats in front of them & dont  take in "the big picture" so how can they make informed decisions? So many are "reactive" rather than using their faculties to take in all the available information.

You can also throw into the equation the elements.
I've ridden on snowy days and had cars beeping their horn at me whilst tailgating because i'm taking it easy going around a roundabout with blatant ice on the road.
And now we have the mobile phone brigade......i don't need to explain any more.  :grumble
What i see a lot of as well is people driving with their phone in their hands, they literally cannot put the bastard down for a second, it's almost like a comfort blanket?

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 July 2016, 09:02:55 am »
Dont get me started on mobile phones! :eek
So called "professional "drivers of LGVs & PCVs, vans, minibuses, and so many car drivers-lets face it-its an unenforceable law-so many brain dead types that cant make the connection between paying attention to the road & the effect that phone use has on their driving-especially when its obvious to anyone following-lane switching, no mirror use, poor or no signalling,erratic use of brakes, rolling forwards/backwards at lights-how do they steer the bloody things-with their knees or stomachs? :eek .Combine this with a sat-nav on dashboard obscuring forward vision, wide "A" pillars on many cars/SUVs-no wonder they dont see us but I suspect the real problem is they just dont care-the selfish t***s. Soon we wont be endangered we will be extinct! :'(

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 31 July 2016, 09:58:13 am »
Got to agree with all the points raised, the last few  posts by dave48 and darrsi ring true for me also. I hate being a passenger in any vehicle.
Also the risk averse culture, the amount of airbags, warning signals for lane departure etc mean people pass the driving test without ever being taught how observe.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #31 on: 31 July 2016, 10:49:55 am »
If ever i get in my mums car for instance i feel like i need to wear my full bike protective gear

So save up £149 and buy her an Advanced Driving Course for her birthday/ Xmas because you want her to be safe out there because of all the numpties who might put her life at risk... ;)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 July 2016, 12:12:20 pm »
I saw a young biker today....

Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 July 2016, 12:21:30 pm »
Disgusting
Shorts, tee shirt, no helmet, and that looks like an illegal undersize numberplate to me   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 July 2016, 12:24:40 pm »
If ever i get in my mums car for instance i feel like i need to wear my full bike protective gear

So save up £149 and buy her an Advanced Driving Course for her birthday/ Xmas because you want her to be safe out there because of all the numpties who might put her life at risk... ;)

She's 77 and passed her test in 1975, can't see too much changing now.
Maybe i'll get her a days rallying or gymkhana.  :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 July 2016, 03:30:34 pm »
any piccies pete ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 July 2016, 04:44:44 pm »
any piccies pete ?
I posted 2....can't u see them?
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 July 2016, 05:21:04 pm »
I can see the pics but not the "young biker".....have you posted the wrong pics ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 July 2016, 05:37:57 pm »
I can see the pics but not the "young biker".....have you posted the wrong pics ?

If you're looking on a phone swipe the picture with your finger.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 July 2016, 06:06:02 pm »

If you're looking on a phone swipe the picture with your finger.

Imagine it's the wife's bean......you'll get there eventually ;-)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 July 2016, 06:16:36 pm »
No, still cant see a "young biker".....all I can see  is an old foccer on a shi**y honda............

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31 July 2016, 06:46:50 pm »
I can see it you just need to scroll across, its a big picture.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31 July 2016, 07:11:18 pm »
Ah ha.......gotcha  :lol......your leave those young uns alone exupnut.....remember what happened last time   :eek

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
We are becoming an endangered species!
« Reply #43 on: 31 July 2016, 09:38:28 pm »
Shit.......ur daughter told u ?  (Duece) ;-)

That kid had three more parked in his dad's garage a BMW gs ...suzook vstorm thingy and a trail...amazin....the one he was on  is a BMW 1000 sport ...had a key that worked and Rev and go....and he could ride his better than you....

(15:30)
« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 09:39:50 pm by Exupnut »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 August 2016, 12:12:23 pm »
Such a luxury to be able to ride a bike these days......cost me about £800 to get through my test.

I was lucky i got mine when i did & enjoyed a few years of riding before becoming a dad......because bow i just cant get the time to go out........folk are leaving marriage and kids later and later so that they can better their careers........so they cant be a biker for a few years and then in their 30's maybe have to give it up.......so i can see 40'ish as the ideal time for getting the freedom to get out on 2 wheels........but thats only if you already have a bike licence......thise that havent got one by 40's i dont think will ever get one.....its not born again.....its never born.........once all yous oldies are passed it i can see the industry having big problems.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 04 August 2016, 08:10:41 am »
the small bike at the back looks the fastest.