Date: 30-04-24  Time: 21:01 pm

Author Topic: Dyno jet vs Ivan's kit opinions please  (Read 9317 times)

flo55y0

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Dyno jet vs Ivan's kit opinions please
« on: 22 March 2014, 03:26:42 pm »
Looking for opinions on Ivan's kit for fazer 1000!  Have read great reviews about them, but Also a few bike mechanics I know have never heard of them!  Has anyone had experience with Ivan's kit as well as dyne jet ? What would u recommend and why? Is there much of a difference in performance for the price , is the first stage Ivan's kit worth doing without the air box mod etc! I'm running standard fazer 1000 with k&n filter with a scorpion end can! and how easy are both to fit??? Thanks in advance

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Dyno jet vs Ivan's kit opinions please
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2014, 09:30:02 pm »
I think you will find no one wants or likes the dynojet, Ivan's all the way, I believe the dynojet works best at higher revs loosing out in the midrange, Ivan's works everywhere and fixes other fuelling issues that dynojet doesn't.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2014, 11:23:25 pm »
I think that just about sums it up and as for your mechanic friends having not heard about the Ivan's kit before, I think this is quite common as I know several bike mechanics who have never heard of them either.....It's our little secret and thanks to Mike (Falcon), one that we're all benefitting from.  ;)

yamaman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2014, 11:46:42 pm »
Fitted full monty in summer last year, much, much better now.  If fitting yourself do take your time as it is a delicate process!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2014, 07:10:35 am »
I think you will find no one wants or likes the dynojet, Ivan's all the way, I believe the dynojet works best at higher revs loosing out in the midrange, Ivan's works everywhere and fixes other fuelling issues that dynojet doesn't.

Succinctly put. :)

The DJ kit needles have exactly the same profile (single taper) as the stock needles but are fitted higher in the slide.  Smaller main jets and adjustment to the mixture screws are the total of what you get.  You could achieve the same top end gains yourself by shimming the stock needles higher and fitting smaller mains but - as solorider said - you'd likely encounter fuelling problems at part-throttle.  I've removed several DJ kits and replaced them with Ivan's kits and the owners have been delighted with the difference.

Ivan's needles have 5 different taper angles along their length to optimize the fuelling at any throttle setting.  There are other elements to the installation which contribute to the end result.  You can read more about it here:

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/jetkitinstallation.html

The reason many won't have heard of Ivan is that he only does tuning kits for about 20 or so bikes.  The amount of R&D time he dedicates to each model is therefore enormous by comparison with companies that try to cover the whole market.

Ivan's Slip-On kit (ie, stage one) works better with the stock air filter and no airbox mods.  To get the full benefit of a less restrictive air filter and exhaust, you'd need to go the Full Monty route (ie stage two) which includes mods to the airbox lid and the intake stubs.

If you're reasonably competent with your toolkit, you can go the DIY route.  Expect it to take around 4 - 5 hours, including synching the carbs afterwards.  If you are considering giving it to a dealer or bike mechanic, budget on 3 hours labour for a Slip-On installation.  They probably wouldn't know what to do for a Full Monty so expect that to run another 1 1/2 - 2 hours for research and the additional mods.  A lot of dealer installations aren't done correctly because they either take shortcuts to save time or miss out parts of the process because they think they know better than Ivan - they don't!  ;)

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2014, 11:08:48 am »
I haven't used a Dynot Jet kit but know mine has Ivan's from pulling out one of the needles measuring it and ringing Ivan with it in my hand, he said "yep" its one of mine (thanks Steve the previous owner) can't fault the throttle response, all the surging and other issues supposed to be with the stock carbs I don't have, and plugs great colour, fuel economy is fine, just a tad more that a siz gs500!!  Mine has the air box mod and k&n filter i suppose it's the full monty, i rode a stock FZ1 in Thailand and it still hauled but not as quick once at the 7K plus range, with ivan's it fucking well flies and starts to lift the front wheel in first and you can provoke it to in 2nd.
where does the muffler go?

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2014, 07:02:17 pm »
As far as I'm aware dynojet tend to go for top end hp figures to sell the kits, you're rarely at top end so the midrange grunt and smoothness of the ivans kit is far more worthwhile, mine with slip-on kit pulls from 15mph in top gear without getting emotional, once the revs get going it pulls like a foccing train, only downside is when you get the wrong type of snow or leaves on the line.....
Go for the ivans kit.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2014, 03:22:58 pm »
My '05 FZS1000 runs an Ivan's slip on kit, K&N and Scorpion end can.  With the baffle in the bike put out just under 126 bhp when it was run on a dyno a couple of weeks back.  More importantly the fuelling is a near to perfect as you can get with carbs and the bike is silky smooth with a strong mid-range. 

For the Fazer, Ivan's is the only way to go.   

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2014, 04:13:04 pm »
My '05 FZS1000 runs an Ivan's slip on kit, K&N and Scorpion end can.  With the baffle in the bike put out just under 126 bhp when it was run on a dyno a couple of weeks back.  More importantly the fuelling is a near to perfect as you can get with carbs and the bike is silky smooth with a strong mid-range. 

For the Fazer, Ivan's is the only way to go.   

I have a similar set up but with standard air filter....but mine is pushing out 135 BHP.....do you think it may get better if you change to standard air filter

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2014, 04:32:48 pm »

I have a similar set up but with standard air filter....but mine is pushing out 135 BHP.....do you think it may get better if you started bullshitting like me.
[/quote]
- :b

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2014, 06:52:39 pm »
Don't know about power output, but the Ivans full monty definitely produces far and away more grin factor than Dynojetting  :D

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2014, 12:03:16 pm »
no questions no choice speak to mike (falcon269)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2014, 12:21:01 pm »

I have a similar set up but with standard air filter....but mine is pushing out 135 BHP.....do you think it may get better if you started bullshitting like me.
- :b
[/quote]

Cheeky bastard :lol.......there are bikes on here pushing out 140+ on here

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2014, 12:25:50 pm »
Are we talking at the crank or at the back wheel?

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2014, 12:42:56 pm »

As the fuel / air ratio on mine is pretty much spot on, I doubt there would be any gains from returning to the standard filter. Either way, the output from my machine is very healthy and I doubt there is much more available without additional modifications.  Why mess with a good setup just for some extra bragging rights?  Rideability is goal - not outright horsepower.     
« Last Edit: 28 March 2014, 12:49:17 pm by MEM62 »

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2014, 12:50:08 pm »
Are we talking at the crank or at the back wheel?

Back Wheel

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2014, 12:51:49 pm »

As the fuel / air ratio on mine is pretty much spot on, I doubt there would be any gains from returning to the standard filter. Either way, the output from my machine is very healthy and I doubt there is much more available without additional modifications.  Why mess with a good setup just for some extra bragging rights?  Rideability is goal - not outright horsepower.     

No worries mate....I was only questioning why yours was less...that's all

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2014, 05:12:32 pm »
Don't change the air filter ... change the dyno. ;)

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2014, 05:21:36 pm »
Dyno fiqs are a snapshot in time
I had my ZX12R dyno,d on the same rolling road 3 times a year apart (charity shoot out on an open day)and got different fiqs each time

Its just a ride

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2014, 06:37:51 pm »
Dyno figures need to be corrected allowing for air temp/air pressure/vapour pressure/humidity on the day, an uncorrected reading on a cool day with high barometric pressure will be better than a hot low pressure day, there are different correction factors in use too.
The pen is mightier than the dyno....
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 April 2014, 12:24:23 pm »

No worries mate....I was only questioning why yours was less...that's all

And a very good question it is too - but I haven't got a clue.