Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:22 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585195 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8725 on: 12 September 2021, 09:32:17 pm »
out exploring the Cotswolds today. dropping in on Diddly Squat Farm, Blaze Inn Saddles and The Pig Place.

Wasn't there a Combine Harvester there...? :pokefun

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8726 on: 12 September 2021, 09:52:22 pm »
was keeping my eyes peeled GRAMAMM. But if iam honest...I was out with a couple of old friends and there is a fair bit of banter exchanged when we get together. By banter i mean piss take, a bit like top gear but worse  :lol ...i get a lot of stick when i get my map out when the other two have those new fangled BEE sat nag thingys...there was no way i was going to stop and take a picture of my bike with a combine harvester   :lol

will sneak out on my own when no ones looking  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8727 on: 21 September 2021, 07:42:30 pm »
Hooned it everywhere today...
Used it for errands at every chance and went the long way lots of times  :lol :lol :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: 22 September 2021, 05:47:55 pm »
Back from my trip to the Aragon MotoGP. Fazer went like a train with no dramas, racking up just short of 2400 miles. Considering the varied weather over the 9 days, we only had to put on waterproofs on four occasions, the last being on leaving Berga in north eastern Spain. Virtually the whole trip through France was done on D roads, ensuring little traffic and plenty of high jinx.

The best day for me was the Saturday ride into Spain to Mequinenza, where we based ourselves for the track. The ride down from the mountains was the best I've had on the Fazer, with endless fast bends taking us towards our hotel.

We'd got excellent stand tickets alongside the famous "wall" sector of the track. Unfortunately there wasn't much for us to cheer about, as Jake crashed out on the second lap. I was glad however, to have got the opportunity to wave goodbye to Vale after many years of edge of the seat entertainment.
I'd never stayed in the Aragon region before, only passed through it, but biking wise I found it to be excellent, maybe the last frontier in exciting road riding on perfect surfaces, with little police or camera interference, in western Europe.

Both France and Spain were very covid aware with strict mask wearing policies in supermarkets etc. In every bar/cafe in France, evidence of your double jab QR code was needed, or there'd be no service. A chore maybe, but I felt a lot more protected there than I do in this country.

The days shot by as fast as the miles, with sadly little time for scenic photo opportunities as it was either riding, eating or drinking. After completing the necessary pre travel pcr test, it was a matter of sitting back for a few beers, waiting for hopefully a negative result email. Everyone was fine, so from near Chartres, we mainly backtracked on our D road route back to Calais and the train. This completed its customary 35 minute journey to Folkestone, and the M20, which was shut  from junction 9. Oh deep joy, welcome back to England.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: 22 September 2021, 05:51:58 pm »
A few random pics.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8730 on: 22 September 2021, 09:38:49 pm »
Very cool shot on the track.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: 23 September 2021, 12:24:06 am »
Yesterday and today I was up at the Wave Pool in Bristol getting in some more surfing.

I'd left Portsmouth earlier yesterday to give me the chance to skip the incredibly boring 50mph average speed section on the M27 and, instead, went via the A32 and Morestead road which was much more fun.

I caught up with a BMW GS who was stuck behind some cars, then we were caught by (I think) a Triumph Daytona and a Ninja, so, once past the traffic there were four of us enjoying a "spirited ride" ;) on some nice twisty roads and my FZ6 holding its own very well :thumbup

The Wave Pool is actually next to a farm, unfortunately, judging by the big rolls of plastic wrapped hay bales, they'd already done their harvesting, so, although there were assorted tractors and a JCB hedge cutter, there were no Combine Harvesters to do the Bike Picture Challenge :(

Today, having had some good surfing, I came back via the cross-country route with some more great roads and some fun overtaking, but, unfortunately, there's no easy way to get back to Portsmouth from the bottom of the A36, so I got stuck on the M27 trundling along at 50 and trying to stay awake...   :z

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: 29 September 2021, 03:29:48 pm »
Chuckin down here, so decided on some mancave time. Thought Id start by checking the rear shock bottom linkage is still free, but carried on and also took out the swinger to check the bearings etc. The swinger was fine so cleaned and re-greased, the bottom shock pin can out dead easy as Ive had it out to grease it up every couple of years, but there was the smallest amount of play between the collar and the bearing so I've ordered those two items plus new seals, Swinger is back in, exhaust all back on, body parts back on, waiting now for parts delivery

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: 02 October 2021, 03:32:12 am »
Chuckin down here, so decided on some mancave time. Thought Id start by checking the rear shock bottom linkage is still free, but carried on and also took out the swinger to check the bearings etc. The swinger was fine so cleaned and re-greased, the bottom shock pin can out dead easy as Ive had it out to grease it up every couple of years, but there was the smallest amount of play between the collar and the bearing so I've ordered those two items plus new seals, Swinger is back in, exhaust all back on, body parts back on, waiting now for parts delivery

Inspired me to do the same on my Gen 2 FZ1 today - the bearing at the rear end of the dog bone link was shot - Corroded and most definitely in need of replacement. I took the opportunity to paint the triangle link plates and cleaned up the shock whilst they were off the bike.  I will need to reassemble with the shot bearing to make room in the garage whilst awaiting the parts delivery.

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: 02 October 2021, 11:25:09 am »
Cleaned up and reassembled but still need to change the bearing when it arrives.

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: 02 October 2021, 05:33:27 pm »
Looking good mate but you could have painted them bolts  :D

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: 02 October 2021, 07:56:14 pm »
Found some petrol!!

I'm off to Bristol again on Tuesday, but, having not tanked up the last time I got back home (I should have!), I was getting a bit worried as what I had in the tank would only get me half way...  :eek

Fortunately my local filling station had a delivery yesterday (which should have actually turned up on Wednesday) and there were only about half a dozen cars queueing, so I topped off and just hope I can pick up some for the journey back.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: 02 October 2021, 10:31:41 pm »
+1 and dem bolts :-D

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: 04 October 2021, 09:56:11 am »
Found out late on Saturday that the Pioneer Run, which was cancelled due to COVID back in March, had been rescheduled to Sunday(yesterday). So with alarm clock set I was up and out by 07:30, for the short ride up to Epsom Downs, in time to see the first group of riders flagged away at 08:00. Both the crowd and the entry was noticeably depleted, maybe some of them, like me, were unaware of the event being on. Sammy Miller is usually a regular competitor, who was absent from yesterday’s proceedings. Normally I follow this event down to the finish at the coast, but other plans were already in place for the rest of the day, so I was back home in no time. Very unlike me, as normally out for a full day.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: 06 October 2021, 08:56:36 pm »
I was up in Bristol for another surfing session at The Wave and decided that, since the next Bike Picture Challenge was Street Art, what better than to take a pic with a piece of Banksy's work.

So I spent ages checking on my phone for a work that was accessible and visible from the road but, having found one, I discovered that the connection from the Optimate lead to the TomTom cradle was faulty and my sat nav had a flat battery! :(

There was no way I was going to try to navigate around bits of Bristol that, even when I lived there, I wasn't familiar with, so I gave up on the idea.

I wanted to go home by a more interesting route than via the M4/ A34/ M27 so I figured that, as it was early afternoon, if I kept the sun on my right and headed roughly south east, eventually I'd get to somewhere I recognised, and, fortunately, I eventually got to Devizes and to a route I knew, so I followed that and got home safely.

Now I've got to figure out what's wrong with the connection so the sat nav stays charged...!

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: 08 October 2021, 08:18:22 pm »

The replacement bearing / inner bush arrived and got installed this afternoon.  I cleaned up the bolt heads and applied zinc primer.  All looking a bit better but still some 5mm free play at the swing arm.  I thought I could feel slight play at the bearing in the swing arm and as I had a spare, I replaced that too.  I compared the new bearing and new inner bush compared to the items removed from the swing arm and really not that much difference.  A little bit less overall free play so I guess they must all be like that.   Next time I am in the bike shop I will feel a new bike to compare.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: 11 October 2021, 05:45:58 pm »
I finally got to pay the Cliff Top Cafe a visit yesterday. For some reason this is only open on Saturday to Monday, so was somewhat disappointed a month or two back, when I turned up midweek to find it closed.

My Tracer GT riding pal and myself had quite a pleasant two hour ride to the cafe at Capel le Ferne, between Folkestone and Dover, taking in A and B roads that we often use through Kent.

I must say that the cafe's breakfast was a disappointment, being quite small, very expensive and no choice, just the set breakfast, which with a tea came to £9 :eek , a complete piss take. The view on the other hand was outstanding. I will go back next summer, but just for a drink and the view. The Airport Cafe is not that far away, mileage wise, and serves excellent food with many choices at very reasonable prices.

This part of Kent must have its own micro climate, as within seven miles of leaving perfect blue skies and sunshine, raindrops started to appear on my visor as we approached Street End and our turning that would take us to the Chilham Bends. Convinced it was no more than "mental rain", we attacked the bends section with our normal gusto, with no ill effects. As we descended the hill towards Charing the rain ceased, giving us a totally dry run to the pub near Headcorn Aerodrome, where over a few shandies, we watched the local Spitfire perform its magic.

Getting petrol was next on the agenda for me, which took visits to four garages before finding one that sold E5. Duly gassed up, it was then a quick cross country dash towards Brands Hatch and home, clocking another 199 of our lovely English miles on the Fazer.

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: 11 October 2021, 08:29:13 pm »

The replacement bearing / inner bush arrived and got installed this afternoon.  I cleaned up the bolt heads and applied zinc primer.  All looking a bit better but still some 5mm free play at the swing arm.  I thought I could feel slight play at the bearing in the swing arm and as I had a spare, I replaced that too.  I compared the new bearing and new inner bush compared to the items removed from the swing arm and really not that much difference.  A little bit less overall free play so I guess they must all be like that.   Next time I am in the bike shop I will feel a new bike to compare.

Moocho better mate

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: 19 October 2021, 11:48:58 pm »
Removed the regulator / rectifier mounting bracket to clean it up and repaint.  Installed a helicoil type repair to the radiator side cover mounting hole which had been stripped out previously.
Also removed the R/H footpeg to sort out the wear in the clevis pin bores that was causing the peg to hang below level.  Used a Durafix rod to braze up the peg ears that bear on the mounting clevis and then filed them back to shape.  Peg now hangs level and straight.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: 24 October 2021, 08:52:55 pm »
Rode up to Winchester from Portsmouth to join a Group Ride that went up around the Oxfordshire area and had a lot of fun on roads I'd never ridden before.

Fortunately, despite the forecast, there was almost no rain until the end of the return leg back to Winchester where we had a lot of that nasty fine, misty drizzle that isn't proper rain, but just hangs around and makes for miserable conditions :(

After we'd finished, I rode a few extra miles around Winchester to pick up a board game that someone was selling, but wasn't willing to post, which was convenient.

On the way back home, fortunately, the weather improved, but I noticed that, on the M27, the signs that used to say "Upgrading to Smart Motorway" had been edited and it now just says "Upgrading to [blank] motorway"!

Obviously someone's decided they weren't as "smart" as originally made out...

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8745 on: 26 October 2021, 04:02:27 pm »
A few more aesthetics today.  Received the new (Chinese) headlight to replace the yellowed existing item that was also losing chrome from the reflector along with new side light bulb holders to replace the poorly fitting previous items that the last owner had siliconed in place.  Also fitted a LED ring main bulb that has a little fan in the end to move air over the heatsink.  Lastly, replaced the front mini indicators with OEM style clear lens items (also Chinese).
All work's fine and freshens up the front of the bike a whole lot.

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: 27 October 2021, 05:55:49 pm »
Had a run up my favourite local road before the council resurface it with loose chippings which is scheduled to start this weekend.  Strange warm (16 deg. C.) weather with high humidity preventing a lot of the roads from drying out completely but still good for late October.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2021, 05:57:34 pm by notsofast »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: 31 October 2021, 05:33:35 pm »
So, I've got one more surfing session at Bristol Wave Pool this year (a freebie tomorrow morning as a thank you to the crowd funders :thumbup

As I'm staying over at my sister's in Yatton (North Somerset), this gave me the chance to try a ride I'd wanted to do, but never had the time.

Go from Portsmouth to Stockbridge, then take the A30 to Shaftesbury and pick up the B3081 which eventually gets you to the Cheddar Gorge Road.

Thankfully I missed most of the rain (although there was one place where there was supposed to be a bridge over a river, but there was actually a river over a bridge!)

Apart from that and a few showers, it was a really good ride :)

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: 04 November 2021, 10:03:58 pm »
In the past week, trued up the slightly bent handlebars, painted them and refitted along with a new throttle tube and grip.  Ordered a new clutch cable as the lever end was a bit beaten up.  Changed the coolant and took the opportunity to remove the radiator for better access to replace the air solenoid which was rather rusty and also cleaned up the exhaust headers.  Cleaned up and painted the two lower water pipes.  Refilled with coolant and on testing I noticed that the R/H fan did not kick in.  Fuse blown.  Removed the fan to check it on the bench and it seemed ok.  Resistance was higher than the L/H fan.  Hooked it up with an ammeter and only 9 amps start current and 3 amps running so refitted it and it tested out fine on the bike so will keep an eye on it.
All minor and mostly aesthetic but freshens up the bike.

« Last Edit: 07 November 2021, 06:41:42 am by notsofast »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: 06 November 2021, 11:05:50 pm »
Well, that's two things ticked off the "To Do" list (from the "What will you do with your Fazer" thread) in that it got a good wash and a spray with ACF50 :thumbup

I was planning on putting a new RH blind spot mirror on it too, but by the time I'd finished with the washing etc, it was getting dark, so I left that for another day...