Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:01 am

Author Topic: Exup  (Read 1437 times)

TonupSid

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Exup
« on: 14 June 2021, 04:40:43 pm »
Hi all, new to FZS1000s bought one recently very please with it, goes well got the 7k tacho so checked the exup valve it's seized solid and the pulley is rusty as old nail the prongs fell off when I touched them so no maintenance I suspect, if I remove it what will happen will it notice thanks 8

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
Re: Exup
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2021, 10:42:35 pm »
Hi matey & welcome to the madness.

Exup''s are often seized in some way, finding a good used unit that's serviceable is like trying to find Unicorn shit.
Never seen one for sale, occasionally half decent set of headers appears on eBay but usually seller wants silly money.
Most pipes never have a valve in em.
It's no big deal to leave Exup out, if you ride in lower to mid RPM range, you'll notice it till you adapt to it, if you cane it everywhere, it'll not be missed.
If you decide to remove it, just disconnect Exup cables from servo motor, leave servo plugged in, if servo''s not seized,  youl'll not get tacho fault code.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2021, 07:24:40 am »
Hi and welcome  :D

Just to add to what Gaz66 has said, I think the general advice would be to get the EXUP working so you can enjoy the bike as Yamaha intended, with it working and a 4 degree advancer the low down grunt and smooth power delivery is amazing and great for sensible riding especially with the misses on the back. However as already said if you take the valve out and ride it you will still be able to enjoy the bike and you won't miss not having the EXUP as you wont know any different, just don't ride a bike with a working one  :lol
« Last Edit: 15 June 2021, 07:26:31 am by PieEater »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2021, 07:39:28 am »
If the valve is seized in the bushes/housing, removing it might involve almost as much effort as getting it functioning again.  Finding a replacement pulley is much easier than finding an entire working EXUP.

It would be worth trying to get it working again.  Maybe remove valve temporarily, refit the end plate with a bolt/washer to blank the spindle hole and focus on getting the valve and bushes separated then refit when they're free-spinning as they should be.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2021, 07:52:41 am »
If the valve is seized in the bushes/housing, removing it might involve almost as much effort as getting it functioning again.  Finding a replacement pulley is much easier than finding an entire working EXUP.

It would be worth trying to get it working again.  Maybe remove valve temporarily, refit the end plate with a bolt/washer to blank the spindle hole and focus on getting the valve and bushes separated then refit when they're free-spinning as they should be.

:agree
Having no EXUP does make the bike a real pain to ride on the road especially in towns, gunning it everywhere isn't really an option.  I've seen many a seized valve, some really bad but only one I couldn't save.  As mentioned it will take almost the same amount of effort just to remove it as to refurb it.  ;)
Later

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2021, 09:27:58 pm »
Hi all, new to FZS1000s bought one recently very please with it, goes well got the 7k tacho so checked the exup valve it's seized solid and the pulley is rusty as old nail the prongs fell off when I touched them so no maintenance I suspect, if I remove it what will happen will it notice thanks 8

Things could be worse!  Spare a thought for this poor guy!  In the search facility at the top of the page search"removing the downpipes".  Where it says under username put in *solorider* it doesn't get much worse than this!  Do not know if he is still an FZS 1000 owner or if the whole affair broke him!  :'( No wonder!
« Last Edit: 17 June 2021, 04:40:08 pm by Decoke Dave »
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!