Date: 04-05-24  Time: 02:00 am

Author Topic: A hard, rewarding day  (Read 2657 times)

Inertia_v1

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
A hard, rewarding day
« on: 25 May 2015, 11:27:59 pm »
So after having some gear box issues I opted for putting in a new engine
I friend I know found me a low mileage engine for £250 only problem was the bike had been in a fire :/
Didn't realy know what to expect when I picked it up. I was hoping it wasn't bad and that I would have it in tonight. We picked it up at 10am and I already had my own engine pulled out, so I was praying for some minor paint damage or some melted plastic stuck to it. I was wrong.

But in the end it was a blessing because I'm very happy with the result of a long day of tlc :)

rajoana

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: A hard, rewarding day
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2015, 11:45:47 pm »
just wondering how heavy is the engine?

Inertia_v1

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2015, 11:57:45 pm »
One person can lift it, I'm not sure exactly how heavy but i guess around 50kg. I was able to get it out on my own but il not be trying to maneuver it back in on my own

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2015, 12:36:08 am »
What are you doing with the old engine?

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2015, 01:31:43 am »
theyre awkward to get in on your own, jack underneath will help you wiggle it into place but it needs a lot of persuasion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2015, 06:40:59 am »
Get some of that black engine paint on the tank, otherwise you'll slow it down.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2015, 07:39:12 am »
what engine paint did you use - i am going to have to paint the one i am taking to bits at some point as its all flaked!

Thats looking nice.....

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2015, 07:50:31 am »
questions - you said i
I friend I know found me a low mileage engine for £250 only problem was the bike had been in a fire :/

not sure if its in and turned over BUT are there any things you would need to be careful with or consider before turning it over in light of it being BBQ'd????

Inertia_v1

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2015, 08:25:18 am »
I'm going to strip it and rebuild it I think. It's needs a new shift shaft and selector forks, might see what tuning parts can be added along the way. It will be a long journey I'm sure

That was a typo, I ment a friend of mine found me a new engine lol

I just used a satin black spray paint from wisebuys the guy who found me the engine has used it before and assures me it will be fine :)

Il be polishing up the frame and getting all th impossible to reach places next so I'm not going to attempt to lift it in on my own incase I gouge any paint when I get frustrated and use ignorance to get it in place lol

I never Seen it turned over, but the beaker had it turned over and checked the compression before he took it out so fingers crossed it's fine, he is a long time friend of my buddy so I have no reason not to take his work it will be ok.... I hope lol

My plan is to run some old oil through it with my old filter and try to collect any corrosion or gunk that may be in there now, then fill it up with clean stuff, I have replaced as much as I could with parts and casing from my old engine, I will probably change out the oil again soon after that and see how it is then and maybe run a cleaner through it, everything I could see looked fine except around the intakes and exhaust holes, there was some funky stuff in there, my friend blew it out best he could befor it was brought home and he reckoned it would be fine once it's run for a while and the oil pumps around.

Il be starting her up tomorrow so il let you all know how it gets on and if there are any issues with the paint or anything else a few miles down the road

Inertia_v1

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2015, 08:28:27 am »
Get some of that black engine paint on the tank, otherwise you'll slow it down.

I'm going to wrap a tin of tango around the starter motor to counter act any spend issues :0 lol

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2015, 02:36:38 pm »
i used poundland black gloss on my engine, came out amazing and even on a hot day using the whole rev range ;) it was fine.

if the engines in the bike start it and warm it up a fair bit first then spray it.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2015, 03:22:23 pm »
i used poundland black gloss on my engine, came out amazing and even on a hot day using the whole rev range ;) it was fine.

if the engines in the bike start it and warm it up a fair bit first then spray it.

how much was it  :rollin :rollin

Inertia_v1

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2015, 07:58:10 am »

how much was it  :rollin :rollin

Flip sake mate, it's pound land everything's the same price......99p :rollin