Date: 27-04-24  Time: 18:39 pm

Author Topic: Tempted to get an FZS1000 for motorway/commuting duties, but have questions.  (Read 25761 times)

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
'Hoy all.

The FZS 600 has been good, but that it doesn't have the standard front fairing (crashed before i got it) is a big problem for me now that i'm going to have to commute about 30-ish miles a day, and maybe more for work. Potentially hundreds of miles.

I need a bike with more power, tank range, and absolutely more wind protection (severe tinnitus/hearing damage).
I have a number of bikes on the list of potentials for less than £3000, and i thought i'd come here to discuss a Fazer with you all.

Those of you who do some reasonable miles quite frequently: How do you feel about the standard screen? Is it enough to smooth the flow of air to stop head buffeting and wind noise? Have you opted for a shorter or taller screen? How has that worked out for you?

For reference: I'm 5ft 11.

I've read this topic, but looking for more feedback on the specifics above.

I'll also be going for some side/lower fairing to smooth the look, maybe a HID kit, crash bungs, better seat, bar risers etc.

I essentially need a sports tourer, and the FZS1000 is a LOT of bang for the buck.
Other bikes on the list of consideration are: VFR800 & VTEC, CBF1000, CB1100XX.

I *was* hoping to get away from an inline 4 to something with a meatier engine note, but i can't ignore what the FZS1000 has to offer, and frankly; In my budget range; Most bikes aren't hugely more powerful than my FZS600, which was a surprise. Specifically the CBF1000 which is amazingly comfortable and has excellent wind protection. But it's only VERY slightly more powerful.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
The FZS1000 is a great bike for doing the miles, you can ride it like a twist and go scooter or get it above 6000 rpm and off it goes.

You will be buying at least a 10 year old bike so condition/wear and tear is everything. suspension if fairy easy and cheaply upgraded and make sure it has or fit an ivans jet kit (loads of info on here use search)

The biggest weak point for many is the screen, getting the balance right for either no wind pressure on chest to wind noise/buffeting around head is very subjective and a personal thing as everyone is a different build/wears different kit, the main problem i think is the fairing is a fair way from the rider .

You can get a big touring screen form the USA, lots of choice but this make is supposed to be very good [size=78%]http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.843/.f[/size] BikeHPS sell them in the UK at around £220.

Good luck.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
I'm in the same boat, and looking at doing a longer commute (70 miles!!!) And have been looking at a few bikes. I used a boxeye for a few years and it did the job remarkably well at 30k k miles/year!
I currently use a Thundercat, and its fantastic, but I've got to carry luggage every day, and just want something a bit torqueyer for the instant overtake where I don't have to scream the cookies off it!

I'm currently looking at the following.
Fazer thou gen I (worst wind protection bit ballistic and frugal)
Tiger 1050 (very noisy screen but oh so comfy)
Sprint st 1050 ('that engine', comfy, economy)
FJR 1300 (comfy, frugal, torquey, big screen)

I've discarded Honda's because I just don't like them. (vfr/b'bird a bit old hat) (Cbf too boring)

Worth a look!

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Commuting, weather= you need the biggest allround fairing you can find, a big bike,1000cc or more,FJR, look at the coppers bikes, thats what they do with them :)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Specifically the CBF1000 which is amazingly comfortable and has excellent wind protection. But it's only VERY slightly more powerful.

Peak power doesn't come into it, if all you want this bike for is 30 miles of routine motorway droning.  The CBF1000F is very torquey low down (much more than a Fazer 1000) and you've already identified its comfort and wind protection.

Much as I love the Fazer 1000 as an all-rounder, the CBF1000F is a way better choice in this specific instance.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
The vfr pre vtec are great bikes for doing big miles and also the blackbird ive had both and the only down side is there abit heavy

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
What about a triumph sprint st 1050? I had one and it was a cracking bike for motorway commutes, comfy, frugal. Better wind protection than the fazer and an engine loaded with low down torque :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Sprint ST 1050 is good, but also well over budget

VFR/Blackbird - I'd probably go for the VFR as it's both cheaper, lighter by 20kg and has a more characterful engine. Would rather have a VTEC model as i prefer the styling and underslung end cans. Though i'm told the older one has the more soulful engine with gear driven cams. Big advantage of the older VFR is that they're well within budget, and there are plenty with less than 40k miles and in good condition.

CBF1000 - Well, at least 30 miles a day, probably more in the near future - as in: hundreds of miles in a given day. Plus weekend fun rides.
But really; My 600 is plenty fast enough, and has more than enough everywhere else in acceleration and power, so that the CBF is only slightly better in most regards is kind of neither here nor there, but yeah; Comfort is vastly better and the wind protection is where it's at. I could probably do with a less 'interesting' bike, because i do tend to ... utilise.. the 600's capabilities were it might not be most appropriate. Add to that, the CBF would give me more road presence as it's a larger bike. I don't think it'd make filtering all that harder.

FJR - I had a look: WAY out of budget, quite heavy, but seems like a great bike. Maybe i'll get one some day when i have more cash and want to do an extended trip of thousands of miles.

FZS1000 touring screen - Seems like a good idea, but i can't see how it's so expensive, especially when you add import tax.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
You don't need to add import duty for the screen as you can buy it in the UK here http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Madstad_Screens_and_Brackets_for_Yamaha_FZS1000_FZ1_Fazer_2001-2005.html

I just added the main website so you could read all about the theory etc.

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
You don't need to add import duty for the screen as you can buy it in the UK here http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Madstad_Screens_and_Brackets_for_Yamaha_FZS1000_FZ1_Fazer_2001-2005.html

I just added the main website so you could read all about the theory etc.

Thanks.

If i get a fazer 1000, i think what i might do before spending such a crazy amount on a screen, is; Get some 10 to 20mm spacers and longer bolts/screws, to see if that helps. Maybe with a more reasonably priced aftermarket screen.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Don't forget it is a full touring screen with base plate and adjustable brackets, not a £50 double bubble, check out the price of full touring screens for BWM and triumph etc.

Have you done a search on here? loads of different options including fitting Gen2 (FZ1) touring screen etc.

Also check out [size=78%]http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/[/size] and more specifically http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/windscreentests.html for ideas.

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Don't forget it is a full touring screen with base plate and adjustable brackets, not a £50 double bubble, check out the price of full touring screens for BWM and triumph etc.

Have you done a search on here? loads of different options including fitting Gen2 (FZ1) touring screen etc.

Also check out [size=78%]http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/[/size] and more specifically http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/windscreentests.html for ideas.

Based on that review of those screens, i'm tempted to get a shorter screen to keep turbulence as far from my head as possible.

The final goal here is to have smooth/est airflow around the head so that my hearing isn't destroyed.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Do you not wear ear plugs?????

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Schuberth helmet, best ever.

Ive got an MRA adjustable screen on my gen2 and it is pants........raising the second screen thingy only makes it worse and actually ducking behind the scren also makes it worse strangely......forget sceens and buy the most sound oroof helmet you can get thats my advice.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Earplugs: Yes. I do. They're -35db, but have ordered some -39's as those are the strongest i can find.
I have Severe Tinnitus and Hyperacusis.

As for helmet: Currently have a HJC Symax 3, but will be upgrading to a HJC RPHA Max Evo in the near future, which has reviewed very well for noise reduction.

I'd go for a standard full-face over a modular, but i have issues with Claustrophobia.

Looking like i'd be going for the streetfighter screen if i were to get a whole litre of Fazer. I'd rather have the wind on my chest than around my head. And at least my chest can't go deaf...

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Why not get a set of ear plugs custom made to suit your needs.

I usually wear diving type ear plugs which have different inserts and find them excellent.

I fitted a MRA spoiler screen to the Fazer recently and today was the first day I had it out for a hi speed blast and it had less buffeting and wind noise which surprised me than the original even though it is shorter, but then I am only 5'9".

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Why not get a set of ear plugs custom made to suit your needs.

I usually wear diving type ear plugs which have different inserts and find them excellent.

I fitted a MRA spoiler screen to the Fazer recently and today was the first day I had it out for a hi speed blast and it had less buffeting and wind noise which surprised me than the original even though it is shorter, but then I am only 5'9".

Hadn't thought of diving plugs. I'll check those out.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
I commute 120 miles a day on my FZS. I have the Yamaha touring screen which is a good compromise for me (I'm 6'1"), but you will probably have to try a few before finding one that suits. Being naked, your legs get colder than the with a full fairing, but apart from that, it's superb for commuting - loads of roll on power at motorway speeds but narrow handlebars and flick up mirrors means it's really quick through traffic, something which can't be said of massive trailies like GS1200s and Triumph Tigers.

If you're doing 20 or 30k miles per year, the most important consideration after mpg is servicing and the FZS is easy enough for most home mechanics bar the valve clearances, but they seem to need adjusting very infrequently which is good. Take a good look at how much servicing something like a VFR would cost - they're a bugger to work on and consequently expensive to service.

Apart from that, the longevity of FZS1000s is extraordinary. I've just hit 132,754 miles and I've only just had to replace the discs and suspension bushes. All my Hondas and Kawaksakis needed these doing at less than 50k miles. This also keeps the cost down. Many parts are interchangeable with other Yamaha models too - discs, calipers etc so there's plenty out there. The only things you might find hard to get second hand are fairing inserts, rear calipers and the downpipes.

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
I commute 120 miles a day on my FZS. I have the Yamaha touring screen which is a good compromise for me (I'm 6'1"), but you will probably have to try a few before finding one that suits. Being naked, your legs get colder than the with a full fairing, but apart from that, it's superb for commuting - loads of roll on power at motorway speeds but narrow handlebars and flick up mirrors means it's really quick through traffic, something which can't be said of massive trailies like GS1200s and Triumph Tigers.

If you're doing 20 or 30k miles per year, the most important consideration after mpg is servicing and the FZS is easy enough for most home mechanics bar the valve clearances, but they seem to need adjusting very infrequently which is good. Take a good look at how much servicing something like a VFR would cost - they're a bugger to work on and consequently expensive to service.

Apart from that, the longevity of FZS1000s is extraordinary. I've just hit 132,754 miles and I've only just had to replace the discs and suspension bushes. All my Hondas and Kawaksakis needed these doing at less than 50k miles. This also keeps the cost down. Many parts are interchangeable with other Yamaha models too - discs, calipers etc so there's plenty out there. The only things you might find hard to get second hand are fairing inserts, rear calipers and the downpipes.

Wind and cold? Used to that. I have a FZS600 (1998) with no fairing. None. It was crashed before i bought it. This is my front end.

Fully used to getting wind on the legs etc, and it's been.. Tolerable... through this winter with thermal liners in.

I'd be getting the lower side fairings and a belly pan on the bike pretty soonish, as i think it looks a lot better with compared to without. Crash bungs, HID kit, Pilot Road 4's etc... Maybe some luggage eventually.

I'd also eventually look at refitting the front end with uprated forks, the rear with an uprated shock - If i felt it needed it for my preferences.

If it's much like the FZS600; It'll do me just fine for performance. And it'll have the poke to handle long stretches of motorway.
I'm not one to speed (deliberately) so i doubt i'll be hitting 80+ or revving the balls off it. I also know i'll appreciate the extra low-down pull and improved tank rage. Especially considering mine was lowered due to some vandalism and a big dent in my tank. I'm lucky to get 100 to the tank.

So far; the FZS1000 is looking much more suitable now that i've looked into screens and got some feedback about wind noise on here. It's certainly the most bike for the money.

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Get to the for sale section one there with all your needs :thumbup  & well within your price range

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Get to the for sale section one there with all your needs :thumbup  & well within your price range

Well, if it's still available when the time comes for me to buy, i'll be putting that particular one right at the top of the list.
Sadly; Buying time might end up being very early June as i'm trying to avoid finance, need to start current job (still waiting on a start date), need to save up some, and June is insurance renewal time.

I fully expect it to be gone by then, but i'll be sure to look.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
My wife was dead set on a pre-VTEC VFR - until she had a test ride on one. Much too leaned-forward for any town, or slow traffic work. After a test ride on a Fazer 1000 that was in the shop, next to the VFR, she was a convert. Just as comfy as the VFR on the motorway, but much better at slower speed. The riding position on the Blackbird is very similar to the VFR.

With the Yamaha "high" screen (not very high at all, but effective) and a set of fairing lowers, the Fazer 1000 has been perfect for over 10 years now - being used as a tourer (around Europe a number of times), a track bike (including the Nordschleife/Nurburgring), a commuter and a work bike (when she was a bike instructor).

It's been totally reliable, runs over 200 miles per tank of fuel and has very long valve check intervals. With regular servicing I doubt anything would ever break - only wear out with old age.

Im sure the CB1000f is a great bike too, but for your budget, I'd say the Gen 1 Fazer will get you the best bike for the money (the Triumphs are also on the expensive side, for decent ones).

2 Pictures below show (Yamaha official "high" !!) screen and fairing lowers (which give surprisingly good weather protection).

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
THIS is why i decided to start a topic, even though it had been partially covered in various threads on various sites.

This is some good feedback/convincing.

The Fazer thousand is right at the top of my list now.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
I keep changing my mind about the litre Fazer, it's getting more likely my bike of choice against the 1050.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
I think my other option may be to source and fit the front fairing, mount, lights etc.
Certainly a cheaper option, and perhaps a good stop-gap solution.

Would require some welding of mounts to the frame, however.
Possibly also best to go for the foxeye rather than the boxeye it came with.

Now to try and source parts and get a price...