Date: 26-05-24  Time: 23:59 pm

Author Topic: Service intervals  (Read 1936 times)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Service intervals
« on: 22 February 2013, 12:27:43 pm »
Hi

I have a Fazer Thou with just shy of 31K on the clock. ive always looked after my bikes by keeping on top of the servicing. my annual mileage is 5.5 - 7K a year

Swing arm / shock - remove once a year, full clean and regrease
Oil / filter - changed every 3.5 - 4K
brakes - clean, pistions red rubber greased twice a year.
Exup - stripped, copper greased at least twice a year (after it seized the first time & i had to drill it!)

and so on........

BUT...my fazer is no longer my number one bike. Im now only doing 1.5 - 2.5K a year and dont have the time or money to spend keeping my bike mint.

Just got me thinking what other peeps service schedules are? with my new low mileage would you still drop and the oil and filter once a year? my biggest fear is the EXUP seizing again.  :'(

Also...are the checks im supposed to do on the cam chain tensioner, too make sure it moves freely? never done anything to a Cam Chain Tensioner ever  :o
« Last Edit: 22 February 2013, 12:37:21 pm by phil on a fazer »

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
Re: Service intervals
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2013, 12:42:11 pm »
Hi Phil
Been a long time.
I only do around 1100 miles a year due to my business. :\
I always change the oil and filter though. Lack of use and leaving what becomes contaminated oil in a engine especially over winter can't be good.
As long as your exup valve is copaslipped up can't see a problem . Just make sure the area is clean etc.

Cheers jacko :)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2013, 01:28:08 pm »
I would definitely change oil/filter once a year regardless of mileage. Also brake clean/service/checks.
As for swing arm & rear suspension pivot bearings I would stick to makers schedule
If you have scrupulously checked/copper greased EXUP valve I would just do this once a year at the mileage your doing. The main problem with these was the fact they dont mention in the service schedule so wouldnt automatically be done by dealers, together with fact that manufacturers are notoriously stingy with grease when assembling bikes in factory! :eek

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2013, 05:31:01 pm »

i've pondered service intervals too. i only managed 1500 miles on the fazer last year and have decided not to change the oil and filter this time around. reasons are

- other forums have told me that oil has a long shelf life and that it's the hot/cold cycle that wears them
- there's always the first couple of seconds of oil starvation rattle when starting an engine after an oil change
- modern oil formulas last longer than those in old'n times
- it saves the 30-40 quid cost (although this is probably the least convincing reason)

i don't strip and clean my brakes as often as twice a year either, i do monitor them critically for feel, bite and power however and jump on them whenever i feel that they could be improved.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2013, 10:09:33 pm by bludclot »
is it clean enough?

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2013, 09:01:27 am »
I'm pretty crap with maintenance on the bike, just do the 6000mile service, top up the scottoiler, and give it an occasional clean. I think I've done the ex up
once...I've lost my copper grease so going to get some more today. will check the exup as it will need checking.
Never have a problem in ten years of owning the bike though.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2013, 10:45:41 am »

- other forums have told me that oil has a long shelf life and that it's the hot/cold cycle that wears them
- there's always the first couple of seconds of oil starvation rattle when starting an engine after an oil change
- modern oil formulas last longer than those in old'n times
- it saves the 30-40 quid cost (although this is probably the least convincing reason)

This was my thinking, hence the question. i changed the oil the other day (1400 miles in somthing like 14 months) and it cam out rather clean!  :eek

My fazer is a keeper, the money and time i spent on it i would not get back in a sale. i literally want it for the rest of my lfe (im 31) so even though im not riding the old girl too much (my Tenere is my 1st bike now) i still want her to treat her like a princess  :D .

Ive got this thing in my head though about cam chain tensioners....ive read about them seizing and we all know what happens then! but ive never played with one before and im unsure on what your supposed to do? i had the valves checked a while ago....would the mechanic of done anything to it then?

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2013, 03:39:39 pm »
If you are doing very low milages (say under 2,000 a year), I would suggest you still consider changing fluids and consumables every second or third year, as even then you haven't worn them out, they are still exposed to the elements and will get tired. Shelf life refers to on the shelf, i.e. in original sealed packaging in ideal storage conditions. 

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2013, 04:45:55 pm »
 I have often wondered about the cam chain tensioner, does it need a little attention now & then moving it through its range off the bike or is it best leaving well alone & let the regular oil changes do the cleaning?

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2013, 08:35:45 am »
Phil
If like me you like getting yer hands dirty by working on the bike, and strip it all down and regrease all bearings...think you can talk time not miles.Bearings will lose grease over miles on the road, not sat in  a garage.I also think engine oil does last longer than makers say. They want to sell it ! A filter life is based on use, so why change every year if you dont do the miles?
But do consider that an oil filter is about a fiver, so is a small price to pay . I have a bmc air filter so can clean and re oil , eliminating costly time based  replacement. I do change oil once  a year as I use semi synthetic which is reasonable cost.
Brake fluid is yer problem as its hygroscopic, so will degrade over time rather than miles.I stick to 2 yrly replacement.I also stick it into a good yam dealer every 2 yrs for a service too, just to make sure I am not missing anything, plus they change the brake fluid  and have the diagnostics and tools for engine checks. Everything else I do myself, and work on a mix of time/ miles.Last  dealer service was 24k when they also checked the valves, which didnt need reshimming.That was nearly 2 yrs ago, so is due for a fluid change this yr, and will be around the 40k mile mark.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2013, 04:20:28 pm »
and have the diagnostics and tools for engine checks.

on a Gen 1? what exactly and how are they checking the engine?

i ask im always trying to think about what i may have missed,  like you i do all my own servicing and like to keep the bike in as good as state as poss.

DISCLAIMER: i dont bleed brakes....ive tried....i failed....i tried again....and failed  :'(  apart from that i do all my own servicing.