Date: 17-05-24  Time: 10:13 am

Author Topic: Brake light not working - front only  (Read 2035 times)

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Brake light not working - front only
« on: 23 February 2012, 11:13:14 pm »
When I pull the front brake, the brake lights don't come on. The bulbs are fine as the light comes on with the rear brake.

So, what's the 1st thing to check? Is it a switch or relay or something on the lever? I'm not the most gifted electrician but will have a go....hopefully it's a common fix!

FZS600 btw

Ta
Brace

sausageroll

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Brake light not working - front only
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2012, 11:25:39 pm »
Hi Mate, I had this problem a few days ago, turned out to be the micro switch under the front brake lever. Look under the lever you will see 2 wires going to a small black plastic micro switch held on with 1 philips screw. Just remove the screw and it comes off, pull the wires off the switch, You'll see a sticky out bit on the switch that should push in and out when the brake lever is pulled. It should make a clicky sound if you push it with your finger. Got a new one off fleabay for about a fiver from Bike Business.
Good luck
Paul

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2012, 11:32:52 pm »
Cheers Paul, sounds like that's where i'll start tomoz. I usually hear a click on pulling the lever but that has stopped so guess that micro switch is buggered!

Ta
Brace

TERMINATOR

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2012, 07:56:37 am »
Try to spray the micro switch with WD40 or buy a new one (14 euro in Greece)
« Last Edit: 24 February 2012, 08:02:26 am by TERMINATOR »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2012, 09:14:34 am »
When that happened to me it was caused by corrosion to one of the wires at the little spade terminals that plug onto the switch. It was a fiddly job remaking the end by cleaning up the spade connector and soldering the wire back on... crimping a fresh terminal on would have been an easier solution if I could have been bothered to go out and buy a kit. :lol

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2012, 10:00:50 am »
When it happened to mine I dissasembled the switch carefully, it is hold with rivets. I just broke it a bit intentionally, cleaned it, put again the two parts together and taped it. Cheap, but it works like this for two years now. You could try it before buying a new one.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2012, 10:28:30 am »
I guess I will need to get it apart this weekend and see what's what then....i'll report back  :)