Date: 27-04-24  Time: 20:19 pm

Author Topic: Breakdown - bike electrics go dead  (Read 429 times)

orion kid

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Breakdown - bike electrics go dead
« on: 29 March 2024, 12:48:06 pm »
Any experience of this or suggestions what it could be before I go back to the mechanic greatly appreciated -

I don't ride much in winter but a couple of months ago I rode into the city centre probably early February. While riding slowly in heavy traffic around the streets, my bike just died. Dash went blank and restart attempts just resulted in useless clicking sound. I had it recovered and checked. They said it was just an old battery and changed it and checked everything. Does that sound right ? I though once you have a running engine it should be a self sustaining system.

Anyhow, two days ago I went to ride into work. Again zero electric power and totally blank dash. I charged the battery overnight for 12 hours and in the morning it showed "Charged and maintaining" on the charger and the bike started (I didn't ride anywhere). Now this morning I went for a ride along the coast and after about 5 miles, same thing again. Down shifted to 2nd and slowed to let an oncoming car pass at which point bike again died. I had enough battery to attempt a few restarts but not enough to get going again, managed a few rotations and then useless clicking again. I have left it there while I decide what to do. Go back with another new battery, or have it recovered some place else maybe..

2008 FZ6 S2 ..

Thanks

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown - bike electrics go dead
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2024, 02:55:07 pm »
Can’t offer any help with your problem, but feel you’d get a much better response if you reposted it in the FZ6 section. Good luck :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2024, 09:25:50 pm »
I've moved this to the FZ6 Fazer Forum as it's more appropriate.

First question: Can you push start the bike? (It may take a few attempts because the failed starts might have left unburned fuel in the system).

If so, the problem may well be with the alternator or regulator/ rectifier meaning the battery is not getting charged properly.

Have a look here for the FZ6 manual with details of how to use a multimeter to check the outputs and see if they're in spec.

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=3

Also get a Drop Tester (or a friendly local garage) to check the battery as "new" batteries can be faulty (trust me, I know!)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2024, 05:56:32 am »
My bike's an FZS 600, but your issue sounds very familiar to what happened to it a few years ago.

Just to point out, i originally bought a cheap starter relay online which turned out to be a bad move on my part, as it didn't take long to fail in exactly the same way again.

Was all good once i'd bought a a decent one, but it was more expensive.

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26685.msg330868#msg330868
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

orion kid

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2024, 08:14:05 am »
I went back to lock up the bike a couple of hours later. It started and showed the orange engine light. I considered trying to ride it home but after about 3 minutes, again dash went blank, then total loss of power again and cut out. Will have it recovered later today and see what they find.

orion kid

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2024, 09:03:39 pm »
It needed a new rectifier. First mechanic didn't catch it.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2024, 04:51:39 pm by orion kid »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2024, 12:12:54 am »
Glad you got it sorted :thumbup