Date: 19-05-24  Time: 14:17 pm

Author Topic: Rear Axle  (Read 12798 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Axle
« Reply #50 on: 11 September 2015, 06:19:11 am »
I'll say it again, the washer is bent due to severe overtightening!

Look at Red98's photo of the swingarm and you'll clearly see that the nut is smaller than any side of the adjuster plate, so in theory it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference which way round the adjuster plate was as far as the washer is concerned.

By being overtightened the washer will be forced to go any place that is free space, in this case the gap which is the metal thickness of the swingarm.

The washer couldn't really have physically got any worse as there's simply nowhere else for it to go.

As for which way round the adjuster goes it would make more sense to me to have the main central force of a torqued up nut pushing from a smaller area onto a bigger one, plus it would be much more important to keep the sprocket side flat and true which is why the need for the bigger footprint on the adjuster on the inside.
So i'm gonna boldy say whoever did that service manual drawing probably went for a liquid lunch and had one too many cups of Japanese Sake back in the day.  :b

« Last Edit: 11 September 2015, 06:25:05 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11 September 2015, 06:49:55 am »
clear as mud,that put you mind at rest HARRY ?.... :lol ......iam with DARRSI on this one,the surface areas on both sides of the chain adjuster is big enough to cover the washer/nut area,not checked the swing arm hole size though,parhaps we have stumbled on a design fault.......new washer should sort things out,still think 117NM is a bit much,did you try undoing the nut with the bikes tool kit,the  length of the tool was designed with torque setting in mind,be interesting to find out .....
One, is never going to be enough.....

marklawrence66

• CBT Wobbler
  • loving the old fazer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 September 2015, 10:23:23 am »
Guys easy way to stop the rattle on the chain adjusters. When you have  You have done you adjusting and are ready to do up your axle to the right torque settings put a spanner in between you chain and sprocket at the top and pull the wheel towards you gently. This will pull everything nice and tight.
Hope that helps some what.
If you don't ride in the rain you DON'T  ride

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 12 September 2015, 01:53:43 pm »
Had a closer look at my washers and noticed one side has a letter "N" stamped into it and the other side has a "O" stamped into it --- whats that then ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 12 September 2015, 02:20:24 pm »
Had a closer look at my washers and noticed one side has a letter "N" stamped into it and the other side has a "O" stamped into it --- whats that then ?

Is it possible to mean Nearside and Offside, but than the markins should be swapped on the opposite sides for each spacer and also we'll need to know which is left and right??  :eek
« Last Edit: 12 September 2015, 02:20:57 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 12 September 2015, 02:31:46 pm »
What if you're in Europe?  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 12 September 2015, 03:19:12 pm »

Is it possible to mean Nearside and Offside, but than the markins should be swapped on the opposite sides for each spacer and also we'll need to know which is left and right??  :eek
The washers are indeed fitted N= on the nearside and O on the ofside
Both measure 44mm diameter I have tried to measure the thickness in situ with the vernier caliper depth gauge but keep getting a different reading every time but I think the nearside (nut and thread side  ) is 3mm but the offside fixed nut seems to be MAYBE 2.75mm but what would be the point of that - why not both 3mm. My measuring could be wrong.
 And if both are 44 mm then why have a near and offside preference.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 12 September 2015, 08:01:38 pm »
the nearside washer does not go over the axle, the difference seems to minimal, but only the off side washer will slide down the axle.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!