Date: 17-05-24  Time: 13:34 pm

Author Topic: Clutchless gearchange ok?  (Read 5822 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Clutchless gearchange ok?
« Reply #25 on: 21 April 2014, 08:23:34 am »
I suppose I'm a bit anal then !  -  I use clutch less changes because, when done properly, they're quicker, slicker, smoother and easier on the engine and clutch. BUT, to do them properly (especially down-changes) takes care, skill and precision in matching RPM's, as well as good hand to foot coordination, that most riders don't have the patience or ability to do.

I take it as a challenge to get this right. The smoother and slicker I can be, to my mind, the better rider I become.
Its certainly a useful skill to learn & helps develop hand/foot/brain co-ordination, the bike becoming an extension of the riders brain/will.
The other way to achieve smooth controlled down changes is to "blip" throttle when downchanging to match engine speed to road speed for the lower gear selected. A smooth rider is generally a  faster one.
Engine braking is simply the drive train working against the compression of the engine which is useful on long descents to avoid brake fade(overheating)
There is no hard & fast rule for all road situations-its down to practice & experience.

mark

• DAS Born Again
  • do 1 thing a day that scares you
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 & triumph tiger 885i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 April 2014, 09:15:01 am »
After reading this I can see this bike costing loads  :'( I use front brake rear brake and foccing engine brake by the sounds of that I recon I must be stopping more than going  :rollin And clutchless nah I like swinging on the lever we ain't on a race track people

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 April 2014, 09:37:22 am »
I had clutch cable snap on a Yamaha Diversion during my Direct Access test +10 yr ago. Shifting down approaching traffic lights hmmmm not a hope lol.

Luckily examiner gave me a lift to collect another bike to complete the test without clutchless gear changes woohoo.
This week I've been mostly tinkering in the garage