Date: 27-04-24  Time: 22:31 pm

Author Topic: Carburettor Gasket Advice  (Read 5044 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Carburettor Gasket Advice
« on: 10 August 2014, 12:21:55 pm »
So I ordered a bran new pack of gaskets for the float bowl for the fzs and my wonderful girlfriend in all her wisdom, had a tidy up and threw an "empty" envelope containing the brand spanking new gaskets, but don't worry it's my fault not my wonderful girlfriends. You may be able to tell I'm a little focced off.

My question is the carb I stripped and used the old gasket is leaking, if I strip it and put some of the blue liquid gasket shite on the old gasket would that be any good. Or shall I order another set and lock them in a safe until I can commence work on the bike.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Carburettor Gasket Advice
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2014, 01:11:40 pm »
I'd order some more gaskets. If the sealant doesn't hold you have to order them anyway and it'd save you having to do the job three times

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Carburettor Gasket & Screws Advice
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2014, 01:45:48 pm »
Just ordered a new set again  :rolleyes . Any ideas where I can replace my screws for the top of the carbs and the float bowls. I've found a pack on ebay from France (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-1998-2003-Carburetor-stainless-allen-screw-kit-1-FZS-600-/200989704219?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2ecbeb801b). Is this the best option do you thin k or can I just get these kind of screws from B&Q/Screwfix?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2014, 02:14:20 pm »
If you know the correct size and pitch then any one will do but you can get the exact ones with the part number from this manual

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=13

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2014, 02:54:36 pm »
Didn't know that part list existed! Keeping that handy. I might just get this pack of ebay save the hassle of trying to find the right parts, screws are a science I don't understand.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2014, 06:17:23 pm »
Metric bolts aren't too bad. Basically if you're buying metric bolts you need to know three things. What diameter the bolt is at the threaded end, the pitch of the bolt and the length of it. For metric they assign the letter M in front of the diameter at the threaded end so M8 is 8mm diameter at the threaded end, M6 is 6mm diameter at the threaded end etc. The next thing is the pitch of the bolt which is the distance between threads.  You can get a thread gauge that slots into the threads that will tell you the pitch but in general there's two types of pitch for each bolt fine and coarse. If you don't have a gauge you should be able to tell the difference between fine and coarse by looking at the bolt. A coarse pitch is the standard looking thread that you see most of the time, a fine pitch has more threads. There's a picture.

As an example if you look at the table in the middle of this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread called "ISO 261 standard preferred threads". Say you measure your bolt diameter at the threaded end and it's 6mm. So it's M6. If you look in the table for 6mm diameter you get two standard pitch options. One is coarse and it's 1.0 and the other it fine and it's 0.75. So you decide it's got fine threads so it's a M6x0.75 bolt and you measure the length excluding the head and it's 40mm and has a hex head. So you now know you need a M6x0.75 40mm hex head bolt.

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2014, 01:49:59 pm »
Dude your on form with the knowledge this week! Cheers for the 101, handy stuff to know. Do B&Q stock these kind of screws?

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Carburettor Gasket And replacement screw set
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2014, 11:19:44 pm »
So new gaskets came today and my set of replacement screws from France. FairPlay I know they're only screws but the kit looks pretty comprehensive for £9 and it replaces the Phillips heads to Allan bolts so should be easier to strip the arbs in the future. I attached a pic for you guys if anyone's thinking of changing them there's some info on the pic.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2014, 02:08:51 am »
That's an excellent deal. Getting the old screws out is often the trickiest part so having a new set is a good idea

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2014, 08:05:46 am »
All done finally she's running again after my run of problems. Used my new impact screwdriver to get the rounded screws out fair play that thing is worth the £8! Couple of the screws were really rounded so I bought my self a Dremel and cut a notch out the top and hey presto! Cleaned the carbs out FairPlay there was loads of sediment in there the float bowls were red! Power seems a lot smoother. Also in another post I mentioned that my cam chain tensioner was missing the 2 ball bearings, sourced 2 put them in and no more ticking! Well happy!
« Last Edit: 18 August 2014, 08:06:28 am by Timbollew »