Date: 30-05-24  Time: 18:56 pm

Author Topic: Removing the throttle.  (Read 2386 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Removing the throttle.
« on: 27 August 2013, 09:40:12 pm »
Anyone know how to remove the throttle twist grip???

I'll soon be getting some Renthal ultra low bars & I've been perusing the Haynes manual to get an idea how to get all the stuff off.But there's no mention of removing the throttle anywhere.

A search of the old forum finds Kebab explaining to someone about some lugs on the throttle or switch gear that need to  be filed down so that everything fits on the new bars so i reckon these lugs probably make it difficult to remove all the stuff from the old handlebars.& are the throttles generally well stuck on???

Stevie has been giving me some advice about the Renthals as he had them before, hey Stevie if you read this, have you any more wisdom on the subject?, i felt cheeky mythering you directly, or anyone else recently Renthalised???
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the throttle.
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2013, 09:49:50 pm »
The lugs don't make it difficult to remove the throttle, its just a locating pin that stops the entire throttle twisting when you twist the throttle, people file this pin down instead of measuring it up on the new bars which would then need drilling to accommodate the pin, if you go that route then you'll need something decent like no more nails double sided foam tape to stop everything twisting.
The whole thing is removed by just undoing a couple of screws, you can either undo them partially enough for the pin to come loose of the hole and slide the whole unit off (if all wires are long enough) or undo the screws completely and let the 2 halves come apart!
« Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 09:52:10 pm by Punkstig »
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2013, 09:59:25 pm »
Cheers punkstig.

I cant believe they'd create such a simple (crap) way of stopping it spinning, i mean surely some kind of clamp system would be better.

I reckon ill try getting the hole drilled through the bars as i think id make a right mess with glues & tape & the like& ill be keeping the bars long for some extra leverage since i dont do much filtering.

Ill just need to figure out a way of measuring where to put the drill hole.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2013, 10:04:40 pm »
Just measure the existing hole on the old bars, it should be the same distance from the end as the new one
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2013, 10:12:31 pm »
Just measure the existing hole on the old bars, it should be the same distance from the end as the new one

The new bars are longer Bill so ill have to measure how much by & factor that in, it'll need a bit foccin about trying to find the ideal bar position first also as i need the hole to be at the right angle.

Hope i dont foc it up!!! :rolleyes

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2013, 10:16:49 pm »
In that case undo the screws completely and split the throttle housing and the switchgear, Try and make a mental note of the angle of the throttle housing and where the throttle wires come out. Also what the overlap of the throttle tube is at the end of the bar.
When lining everything up use a dab of copper grease or similar on the pin of the housing, when you hold it into place on the new bars this will give your point to drill, I'd suggest drilling the throttle hole before doing the switchgear (I think they both have pins, then do a temp attach to measure up for the switch gear.
Not going to teach you how to suck eggs but obviously you will need a punch to mark the hole on the round bar to give the drill a start point, if you don't have a bench and vice twist the bars in the handlebar clamps and tighten to use as your vice!
Have fun!
Some say...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2013, 10:17:58 pm »

There also rotation angles to consider, and the pins for the throttle and switchgear aren't inline!

Are the bar end weights the same? If not then then you need to consider if they will foul the twist grip and adjust as necessary!
« Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 10:19:41 pm by Punkstig »
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2013, 10:50:17 pm »
Oh foc it does sound like fun :b

Thanks man honestly even the simplest things are worth saying in my book, everything i do with the fazer is a first for me.

Ill be taking lots of digi photos so i can look back on them as a ref.

Im sure once i rip it all off things will make more sense & if i have any minor issues ill pop back on here

Thanks again.

Fras

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2013, 10:53:36 pm »
I think that's why people opt for the file off peg and use tape method!
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2013, 10:59:42 pm »
I think that's why people opt for the file off peg and use tape method!

Thats more my level of expertise to be fair, but i cant help thinking that it would play on my mind.

If it comes to it & i give in, ill find someone local with a mega shed who likes problem solving, theres always folk like that who love tinkering with things just for the crack.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2013, 11:06:59 pm »
Yeah, you'd definitely be happier with yourself doing it properly!
Some say...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2013, 11:07:25 pm »
A bit of double sided tape should do the trick shouldn't it? How long is the locating pin? If its relatively small then you may be able to get away with not filing it and just let it sink in to the foam double sided tape stuff - shouldn't go anywhere then :) It's what I would try on mine at least...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2013, 11:13:55 pm »
But if you ever needed to get it back off again would it not be stuck on & not slide off, or am i not picturing things properly as usual, is it more the case that the stuck on bit of the gear actually splits in half anyway so doesnt need to slide anywhere, just split & pulled apart????

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2013, 12:05:13 am »
Sorry Noggy, just read your latest thread whilst in work.
As per punkstig said, file the pegs off, and use some kind of tape (i used zinc oxide medical tape) to help with the clamping. Its a bit of trial and error at first, but its easy enough to do. A Damn sight easier than drilling the bars, and then wanting to adjust things later. :o
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2013, 07:55:06 am »
But if you ever needed to get it back off again would it not be stuck on & not slide off, or am i not picturing things properly as usual, is it more the case that the stuck on bit of the gear actually splits in half anyway so doesnt need to slide anywhere, just split & pulled apart????

Both the throttle housing and switchgear split in half if you undo the bolts completely!

If you use the foam tape all the way round then this is enough adhesive to stop any twisting forces from using the throttle breaking the bond, however you can still split and remove everything if needs be.

The bonus to doing it this way is you have an unmolested set of bars, if you ever change bikes its easier to reuse them or resell them without the drilled holes!
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2013, 09:18:43 am »
This is more clear now, i didnt realise everything completely split in half,

Well im fully armed with info now

Just waiting on the post

Cheers!

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 August 2013, 10:00:03 am »
Del does a good explanation of how he changed his bars for Renthals..

Delboy's Garage, Renthal bars, Suzuki Bandit.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 August 2013, 10:27:14 am »
Buzz that video is just the ticket ta!,

Doesnt look too hard now.

Interesting that del boy doesnt even see the need for any tape but ive got an idea ill try regards the sticking on.

Also exciting is that he was fitting the same ultra lows in the same colour as mine, oooooh i cud piss myself with joy!!!! :)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 August 2013, 11:07:36 am »
There's a follow up vid to that one regarding bar weights which might come in useful as well.  I don't know if the Fazer bar-ends are a direct fit but if not then this might help, I'm sure loads of others have done it anyway.  I've been meaning to fit Renthals to mine for the past 2 years...one day!

Delboy's Garage, Renthal Bars, Bar End Weights Ghetto fix.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2013, 11:11:10 am by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 August 2013, 02:06:26 pm »
Thanks buzz i havent taken a look yet but ther may be something of use on that as im fitting bar end mirrors for that size bar but it would be too easy if they just fitted straight away.i'd be dissapointed! :)