Date: 27-04-24  Time: 18:54 pm

Author Topic: act20 camera placement.  (Read 2111 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
act20 camera placement.
« on: 19 July 2013, 04:20:11 pm »
I have just bought one of these to replace my old action camera that decided to work only when it felt like it,( takes after its owner).
The old camera was fitted to the handlebars centrally above the top yoke but when i fit the act20 in the same place it is too low and all you can see is the clocks.
I have thought about fitting it underneath the front fairing but i am doubtful about using velcro to keep it in place, or strapping it to my helmet but i would prefer it fixed to bike.
Where have you guys that use fitted yours?

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: act20 camera placement.
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2013, 06:39:43 pm »
I used the brakcet that came with it to screw into the bottom of the front fairing, works well and stays put

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2013, 08:01:02 pm »
I used the brakcet that came with it to screw into the bottom of the front fairing, works well and stays put

Do you mean that you drilled the fairing or just clamped the bracket to the fairing?

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2013, 08:50:04 pm »

Do you mean that you drilled the fairing or just clamped the bracket to the fairing?

Self tapping screw through the bottom of the fairing.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2013, 11:59:53 pm »
I have thought about fitting it underneath the front fairing but i am doubtful about using velcro to keep it in place,

You could use "Dual Lock" Velcro (I think it's actually by 3M rather than Velcro, but WTH!")

Rather than the hook-and-loop of Velcro, it's got interlocking plastic "mushrooms" which are a lot stronger. Provided the surfaces it sticks to are clean and dry so the glue adheres properly it should be fine (although you could always add a safety lanyard too just in case it falls off!)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2013, 09:41:31 am »

I thought that yours was record on power, continuous record and was plugged in to power all the time.  If so, please can you tell me how you waterproofed the USB connection ?  A water balloon ?
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2013, 10:57:29 am »
I am waiting on my new camera arriving. It comes with a selection of mounting kits for various applications. I was thinking I would adapt on to fix it (semi) permanently to the left hand fork leg. The camera is self levelling, so it can be used on its side or upside down. I read on here that someone uses the sucker mount and sticks it onto the taco. I can't remember who it was, but they said it works a treat. I wouldn't want to rattle into a mighty pot hole and loose it, just when you would need it to win your case  :lol .

I had though about under the fairing, between the forks. I think it would foul the front wheel fairing during hard riding though...?

Whilst we are on this subject, I am going to the Nurburgring soon and want to film at least one lap. Only, its not allowed. Cars get away with it because it can sit in the glove box and go on last minute. I have no idea how other bikers manage it, so if you guys have any cunning tips for getting a sportscam fitted to a bike in 30 seconds, whilst mounting the steed, please share  :D
« Last Edit: 21 July 2013, 10:58:18 am by adeejaysdelight »
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2013, 11:00:15 am »
I am waiting on my new camera arriving. It comes with a selection of mounting kits for various applications. I was thinking I would adapt one to fix it (semi) permanently to the left hand fork leg. The camera is self levelling, so it can be used on its side or upside down. I read on here that someone uses the sucker mount and sticks it onto the taco. I can't remember who it was, but they said it works a treat. I wouldn't want to rattle into a mighty pot hole and loose it though, just when you would need it to win your case  :lol .

I had though about under the fairing, between the forks. But, I think it would foul the front wheel fairing during hard riding though...?

Whilst we are on this subject, I am going to the Nurburgring soon and want to film at least one lap. Only, its not allowed. Cars get away with it because the camera can sit in the glove box and go on last minute. I have no idea how other bikers manage it, so if you guys have any cunning tips for getting a sportscam fitted to a bike in 30 seconds or less, whilst mounting the steed, please share  :D
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2013, 11:54:56 am »

I thought that yours was record on power, continuous record and was plugged in to power all the time.  If so, please can you tell me how you waterproofed the USB connection ?  A water balloon ?

It was, I spent a long time drilling a hole through the back cover, soldering in power connections permantely with a coil of wire inside so it could still be removed and then gluegunning it water tight.

Thats until I went out in the rain, and the lense let a crap load of water through :(

Im planning on putting silicone sealant around the edge of the lense at the front to waterproof that as well, as its just a friction fit now!

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2013, 12:13:06 pm »
You should be okay if you take the lense off, smear silicon all over the thread on the body, then tighten it up.  Might be worth siliconing the lense in too.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2013, 12:19:33 pm »
I'm considering leaving the back as is so that I can remove the micro sd card easily and drilling and siliconing a cable with waterproof connector out of the bottom or top of the camera.

Once the camera is in situ and positioned the only thing you need is the micro sd card.

I am considering a hole drill the size if the lenses in the front fairing which may kill some of the wind noise too.  My front nose is pretty knackered anyway.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2013, 12:37:31 pm »
I think that's a better idea. Although there is very little space inside the camera. Use pliers to break the plastic  plug that keeps the circuit board in and slide it out.