Date: 28-04-24  Time: 05:44 am

Author Topic: Which conti tyre?  (Read 2619 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Which conti tyre?
« on: 19 August 2013, 11:14:08 pm »
So my bikes going to be due tyres soon as its still on the tyres it came with when I bought it, it has a Pirelli Diablo Rossi 2 on the rear, and a Dunlop sport tyre on the front. As I don't know the age or mileage on each tyre I want to change the pair and get a matched set (a bit OCD that way).

I've ridden a bike with continentals on it and really liked them (I think it was road attacks), but while looking there I noticed there are two different conti tyres:

Road attack, and sport attack. I've a feeling that road attack will offer everything I need, but what's the differences between the two, anyone any idea? (I assume sport attack is more track focused, more grippy but less life? That's purely supposition though).

Thanks for any help :)

Mick.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Which conti tyre?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2013, 11:39:34 pm »
I suppose that the sport attack is more track focused, more grippy but doesn't last as long......Hang on a minute, isn't that what you just said ?  :D

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2013, 12:16:46 am »
wasnt sure if that was the differences, or if i was just picking something out my arse :lol

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2013, 08:00:33 am »
Hi mick. On my work bike we r using conti motion at the mo. they have coped with all i have thrown at them and r pretty good in the wet. They r also well priced. I gonna stick a set on the thou.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2013, 08:08:24 am »
Those are actually a few quid cheaper than the RA's as well. Perhaps ill look into them as a set of RA's is just shy of £200. Less than ideal when the cage needs an mot this month too..

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2013, 09:58:54 am »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2013, 03:53:53 pm »
I used a rear contimotion on my fz1. Fantastic tyre, and I gave it loads of grief, it never let me down once. Edged it, pegs down, wet/dry, it coped with everything well. And it was cheap!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2013, 07:13:20 pm »
Road attack, and sport attack. I've a feeling that road attack will offer everything I need, but what's the differences between the two, anyone any idea? (I assume sport attack is more track focused, more grippy but less life? That's purely supposition though).

You pick tyre to suit your riding style, conditions, not (just) the bike.  For my riding, Road Attack 2 is very nice.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2013, 08:42:19 pm »
I was given a set of the contimotions (as well as other continental goodies) in exchange for filming my riding around the city in all weathers which was to be used as an Internet advert, the guy that organised it all quit mid project and the footage was never used.
I liked them, they had good grip but as a sport touring tyre were rubbish as the mileage was about 6000 when needing changing!
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2013, 08:36:06 am »
I liked them, they had good grip but as a sport touring tyre were rubbish as the mileage was about 6000 when needing changing!
I think I got 1/2 hat out of mine :o
But it was better than what I got out of my pr3 !!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2013, 03:03:41 pm »
I think I got 1/2 hat out of mine :o
But it was better than what I got out of my pr3 !!
Yeah, see somehow I get good mileage out of tyres, my pr3's were 16000 on the rear ( twice) and over 20000 on the front, so in comparison to the contimotions a big difference!
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2013, 03:40:08 pm »
It's amazing the differences different people get out of the same tyres on the same bike. Maybe some get out more for fun blasts in the summer, obviously those that do more motorway mileage will get different wear rates to those that do little and so on and so forth, but even so, you wouldn't think the variation would be that great. But this is why, aside from general consistently good reports, I don't pay too much attention to the recommendations of others. As Slaninar says, as much of it is down to the rider as the tyres themselves. You've just got to try things out until you hit on what works for you. I absolutely swear by PR2s on the gen 1 thou, but someone else will hate the things! Mileage? Can't remember from my last set, but the current ones seem to be holding up well after over 3000. Grip and performance is more important to me, but I have been known to look for cheap options when hard up, only to come back to the Michelins when I'm flush again.

I've used Conti Road Attack on my previous thou, an example at the time of needing something cheaper, and thought they were perfectly ok, but still prefer PR2s, better wet weather grip and predictability (it seems to me).

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2013, 05:31:19 pm »

I've used Conti Road Attack on my previous thou, an example at the time of needing something cheaper, and thought they were perfectly ok, but still prefer PR2s, better wet weather grip and predictability (it seems to me).

RA2 are different than RA. RA2 being very predictable (for me at least), especially on hard braking.  You tried the 2s, or the Road Attack (1)?
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2013, 05:44:25 pm »
Yes, would have been RA1s I tried, because at the time I could get them nice and cheap. Well, now you have PR3s too, but I'm not really interested in trying them because the 2s are cheaper, and I generally reach my limits before the tyres reach theirs. If I'm able to ride almost as fast with as much confidence in the wet as the dry on the PR2s, as is the case, then I'm more than happy. I'm not going to suddenly turn into Rossi/whoever overnight cos I've switched tyres, nor do I have a desire to. Do you see where I'm coming from? You could give me the best bike in the world, I still won't be the best rider in the world, but if I'm happy in my confidence/ability, well then, that's ok by me.  :)

But if you see PR2s at half price, that's another matter, let me know would you?  :lol

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2013, 07:59:44 pm »
Yes, would have been RA1s I tried, because at the time I could get them nice and cheap. Well, now you have PR3s too, but I'm not really interested in trying them because the 2s are cheaper, and I generally reach my limits before the tyres reach theirs. If I'm able to ride almost as fast with as much confidence in the wet as the dry on the PR2s, as is the case, then I'm more than happy. I'm not going to suddenly turn into Rossi/whoever overnight cos I've switched tyres, nor do I have a desire to. Do you see where I'm coming from? You could give me the best bike in the world, I still won't be the best rider in the world, but if I'm happy in my confidence/ability, well then, that's ok by me.  :)

But if you see PR2s at half price, that's another matter, let me know would you?  :lol

I don't like posting my mate said his mate etc but-
According to Burwins mechanics after a discussion with the michelin dealer the pr3's are exactly the same rubber compound as the pr2's, the only difference being the design of the sipes to expel the water, if you mainly ride sunny days then the extra £'s won't be worth having the newer pr3's, which makes the pr2's quite a bargain tbf!
Some say...