Date: 20-05-24  Time: 11:12 am

Author Topic: Track days ?  (Read 2613 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Track days ?
« on: 08 July 2013, 08:40:05 pm »
I'm a track day virgin, and looking to do one this summer. Just bought full zip together 2 piece leathers for the occasion.
Are there any do's and dont's, needs and requirements that you guys have experienced that's not in the track small print?
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Re: Track days ?
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2013, 08:49:25 pm »
let about 4 psi out of your tyres, drink plenty of water and eat some thing with salt to help hydrate, some people disconnect their brake lights so watch out for that and don't do the last session as everyone seems to go mad to get the most from the day when they should take it easy as they are knackered and booked the next working day off as well, have fun relax and enjoy !! :) :)
Mark

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2013, 09:09:56 pm »
Cheers Mark 8)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2013, 09:15:02 pm »
Make sure you do the last session and go absolutely mad :b

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2013, 09:36:54 pm »
Enjoy it, but don't be afraid to end a session early or even the day early if your tired.
Plenty of water as said.

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2013, 11:18:12 pm »
All that was said before, except the last session thing. Do it carefully if you see the other riders aren't crazy and you are not tired.
Go with your FZ1. The FZS600 hasn't enough ground clearance for the track. Do not try to follow anybody. Remove or cover your mirrors.
Enjoy

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2013, 07:32:09 am »
Give it at least 3-4 laps for your tyres to warm up properly before you even try and get some serious lean angles.

Watch how many jockeys throw it down the track on the 1st lap with cold tyres  :rollin [size=78%]  [/size]
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Bandito

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2013, 02:49:22 am »
Firstly I would like to say that track days are highly addictive so you have been warned when your bank balance starts taking huge hits!

From my experience here are a few tips and pointers for your first track day...

1. Track days are fun and sociable events so why not get a few mates together and make a day of it!

2. Dont ride to the track, get a van or trailer (share with your mates above  ;) ) you will be shattered at the end of the day!

3. Get to the track early and remember all parts of your license! sign on, sound testing etc all takes time...

4. Get yourself into a garage! some tracks have limited garage space so you will need to get your bike in a gap early. Garages are very sociable places first come first served!

5. Dont be put off by the bloke next to you putting tyre warmers on his ex bsb superbike, he will still be friendly! (and probably not as fast as you think)

6. Do make sure you talk to others around you... might sound daft but I have seen those who turn up and dont say a word throughout the day! that's no fun and not in the biking spirit!   

7. Dont bother yourself with tyre warmers or "wets on wheels"

8. Take a few tools with you, you may need to adjust your chain as the day goes on. Take some spares if you have them but dont sweat if you don't.

9. There is ALWAYS someone faster than you dont feel bad if you consider yourself a don on the road and someone passes you making you look like your standing still on track.

10. Tape over or remove your mirrors, they are an unnecessary distraction on track.   

11. Ignore the nerds next to you having a long drawn out debate about hot/cold tyre pressures. Ask the tyre man on the day what pressures are best for you and stick to it.

12. Most track day organisers offer FREE track instruction make sure you get an instructor for a session or two!

13. Dont give a crap about "getting your knee down" once you've done it (if you haven't already) you'll soon realise there's not much to hype about.

14. Dont give a crap about lap times despite how some people talk track days aint racing!

15. Make sure you eat and drink (its easy to forget!)and lastly make sure your having fun! I can still remember the butterflies as I lined up for my first track session at Mallory Park and the huge grin on my face as I came back in! hope this helps!   

« Last Edit: 10 July 2013, 02:52:08 am by Bandito »

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2013, 07:13:11 am »
all good advice. I would just stress that its so important to build up gradually on your first track day. Even in the novice group there will be experienced riders so dont go thinking I will just follow the guy in front ! Learn the track, look for braking and apex cones ( usually put out  for you ), and dont get competitive till you really know what you are doing. I have had guys try to pass me on the outside of tight corners and go straight on !....knee down is a lark and a rite of passage but tbh I am as fast doing it mike hailwood style !  ;) ..using body weight to help turn a bike in is more important, and if yer pegs ground out , dont be tempted to do too much more lean. Thats when you should look at hanging off etc.If its a fazer 1000, pegs deck out quite early , and watch out for yer crash bungs and exhaust too.I decked my crash bungs and nearly had a big nerf off.
Tyres are soo important , you must must must warm them up properly and if you have cheapo rubber just remember what their limitations may be. The guy on the next bike could have racing slicks !...a lot of trackdays are used as practice sessions by club racers, on far better tackle than you and I...

Its a day of fun and learning new things, how well your bike can corner , handle and brake.Its a lovely environment to explore all this. Just keep in the back of your mind that someone else may have more experience and if you get passed dont see it as a must do to overtake back.Its easy to overcook it on many tracks if you dont use common sense and build up gradually.
Let us know how you get on !

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2013, 09:05:08 pm »
Only thing that's not been mentioned - the hotter it is doesn't mean the grippier the tyres are!

If its a very hot day then tyres will do the opposite to what you think and become greasy!
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2013, 09:12:51 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. I'm looking at Oulton Park circuit maybe next month, booking it with trackdays.co.uk with a bit of luck.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2013, 09:19:03 am »
Oh,  one more thing, in the afternoon the photographer will be at his little desk showing your pics on screen, there is no obligation to buy so go speak to him, ask to see yours and from this take a good look at your body position on the bike, whilst you're on track you're probably going to think you're leaning off like a monkey, the pics will show nothing of the sort ( chances are your knee is out but your head is over the top of your bars instead of by the side of the fairing!)
Some say...

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2013, 09:30:11 am »
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. I'm looking at Oulton Park circuit maybe next month, booking it with trackdays.co.uk with a bit of luck.

Good choice of track, its fantastic. Its long enough so the group will keep spread out, unlike the Brands Indy circuit where its like riding in rush hour.
At the briefing they will go through most of the good advice given here again.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2013, 10:51:54 am »
A friend of mine went, followed the build up on facebook, preparing the track bike, onto the trailer, then his report...................................track, sky, track, sky, track, sky, track ambulance? badly dislocated shoulder, needed an op to fix it back together, weeks off work, he's self employed, which means no work no money?

So take it easy and enjoy it, you can always do another track day.