Date: 18-05-24  Time: 22:40 pm

Author Topic: Givi hard luggage question - why monolock only?  (Read 2291 times)

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
Givi hard luggage question - why monolock only?
« on: 14 December 2015, 10:13:22 am »
Hi, quick question if I may. Why do Givi only recommend the lesser 'Monolock' top boxes for the 2nd gen FZ1S.

My bike came with a small Monolock box fitted and its pretty poor quality so was thinking of getting a Monokey top plate (M5)  and fitting my old 50L Monokey box, however their website, when you search products by bike only offers the Monolock options. Always thought Monolocks were for scooters

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Givi hard luggage question - why monolock only?
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2015, 12:47:01 pm »
I have one of each, a monolock and a mono key and I would not say one was significantly inferior to the other, mind you, neither is exactly brilliant. Givi only offer one bike specific solution for the Fazer hence their recommendation but since I have the generic rack, I can fit whichever top plate suits my needs.   

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2015, 06:57:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply Paul, the Monolock* boxes are at Givi's budget end and iirc they term them as being 'single skin', the Monokey's being 'double skin', they are also described by Givi as being 'Suitable for scooters and small motorcycles' and are generally far smaller in size, guess I must be in the minority thinking that it's odd that they include the Gen2 FZ1 in the small bike category, I'm wondering if Givi is infact run by Gen1 owners.

*The  lid on my Monolock is very flimsy which apart from feeling shoddy makes the locking locking clip less secure   

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2015, 10:17:31 pm »
Probably wrong, usually am, but I assumed that it was to limit the size of the top box.(IIRC they recommend a maximum of 35 litres??)
I've got a Monokey plate and pannier fittings on my Gen2.
Rob

FirstYamTwm

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - RF900RV+CB400SF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2015, 12:20:06 pm »
try again- hope you don't mind me joining in but this is my homemade system on my FZS1000, got my old Nonfango kit to fit my Givi rack, pic below. Regards, Tommy

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2015, 06:05:24 pm »
Probably wrong, usually am, but I assumed that it was to limit the size of the top box.(IIRC they recommend a maximum of 35 litres??)
I've got a Monokey plate and pannier fittings on my Gen2.
Rob

Just find it curious that Givi would suggest a limited choice for the FZ1S, unless they've compromised on the integrity of how the support arms are anchored.

Anyway, I've ordered an M5 (Monokey) base plate just incase I decide to swop over from the Monolock, though when I had the bike valeted & ACF50'd last week I took the topbox off and realised just how much better the bike looks without one. So I'm digging out my old Kriega US20 & US5 tail packs, removing the 'box' and going to see if real life needs interfere with/scupper good aesthetics

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2015, 10:07:47 pm »
I only fit mine when its needed because, as you say, it looks much better without.
The pannier frames don't fit with a tail tidy either so it's a few hours work to refit the frames with the OEM tail light.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2015, 10:20:25 pm »
The shadow in the first pic in post #5 looks the dogs bolox. 'Hard' luggage indeed LOL! 
__
There's no replacement for displacement