Date: 28-04-24  Time: 09:02 am

Author Topic: Winter glove recommendations? (Don't mention bar muffs)  (Read 13993 times)

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Winter glove recommendations? (Don't mention bar muffs)
« on: 07 October 2014, 06:48:56 pm »

I had muffs 2 years ago. They work. Well. Especially with heated grips. BUT you need to get ones that are rigid enough (or that you modify) so that they don't blow into the brake lever/clutch, which mine did. I had the Givi TM418's.

I also had Alpinestars WR-V GTX gloves. Which weren't good. By the end of the winter they leaked, and would weigh a lot and take forever to dry, and all the way through winter they were nowhere near as warm as I had wanted.

Oh, and no heated gloves, I won't always have a power source.

I'm now looking for a new pair of winter gloves that are waterproof, and keep my hands warm at motorway speeds. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not wanting bar muffs right now, my old ones are laying around. I want winter gloves, and I want people to say 'I had these, and they were great' or 'I had these and they were crap' (like I did with the WR-V GTX's)

Thanks guys, could be good to have a topic that says what is good, and what isn't...
« Last Edit: 07 October 2014, 07:08:15 pm by papercutout »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Winter glove recommendations? (Don't mention bar muffs)
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2014, 07:14:37 pm »
Find a way to fit hand guards and that will deflect most of the wind induces cold.
Problem is there isnt any that will fit the fzs600 without hitting the fairing on a full lock or less.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2014, 07:40:32 pm »
I've got no fairing, which helps ;)

And I might be interested in some in the future (any particular suggestions?), but right now, I want gloves. Nothing else!

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2014, 07:54:12 pm »
I bought a pair of these as a backup pair three years ago because they were cheap (but from Held, one of the quality manufacturers of gloves) but now I wear nothing else in the winter because they are so warm. They are very windproof and mine havn't leaked a drop since I've had them and I pretty much ride every day in all weathers. If you have the misfortune to have water run down your arm and into the glove they dry out very quickly on the radiator -unlike many other gloves. They have a handy visor wipe too that doesn't fall off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELD-Freddo-Waterproof-Breathable-Motorcycle-Motobike-Winter-Gloves-/221373346766?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Gloves&var=&hash=item338ae133ce

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2014, 09:34:21 pm »
I bought a set of H-G master IV gore tex gloves a good few years ago, and they're the only gloves that I've had that are truly waterproof, and actually warm for longer than 30 minutes.

They've seen me through quite a few winters, and served me very well, still looking good, and in one piece. A bit bulky, but it's a pay off that's worth it.

Don't know if you can still get them, but I can highly recommend them, and that recommendation doesn't come lightly.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2014, 09:40:56 am »
Spada Enforcer have been good for me.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2014, 10:04:31 am »
Buy the right make of muffs that don't push the levers back!
Some say...

Wade90

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2014, 10:16:45 am »
Spada Storm gloves are pretty good, always keep me warm and dry. Can't remember how much I paid for them, about £35 I think?

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2014, 08:21:34 pm »
Thanks everyone, some great replies here! Hearing good stories about gloves make a big difference - nothing like first hand experience compared to either sales blurb, or magazine reviews that don't have comprehensive tests

Go buy some glasses that let you read full paragraphs. And thread titles. ;)

Damn FZS600 owners! Don't pay attention! (I have one before people ask, whereas punkstig has just broken his!)
« Last Edit: 08 October 2014, 08:25:50 pm by papercutout »

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2014, 08:49:59 pm »
Can you not mount the muff with the bar end sticking thru the side of the muff, which should stop any muff from pushing against the levers?

I use Gerbings heated gloves. Warm hands on crisp winter mornings.. Bliss...

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2014, 09:23:49 pm »
I've ordered some Alpinestars Apex Drystars so i'll report back on those.
Shame they only go up to 3XL as they're a touch snug.

Chosen because: Quality/price balance + Best i could afford + Time being a factor as my current AS Drystars are falling to bits after a year of daily use. They were good gloves, but NOT for winter. I hope the new ones get me through this winter and then come summer; I'll get myself some nice short street gloves with good venting.

ukdiceman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2014, 09:57:48 am »
Buy a pair of silk under gloves, dirt cheap and make a massive difference!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2014, 10:15:44 am »
Thanks everyone, some great replies here! Hearing good stories about gloves make a big difference - nothing like first hand experience compared to either sales blurb, or magazine reviews that don't have comprehensive tests

Damn FZS600 owners! Don't pay attention! (I have one before people ask, whereas punkstig has just broken his!)
I read fully and paid complete attention- my point is completely valid from years of experience riding through snow as a courier, you want hands on experience of an everyday rider then that is mine!
if you're riding in the cold months day and night then gloves alone, no matter how expensive or thick or waterproof are not enough to keep your hands warm-
you need several things-
you've already dismissed heated gloves/ grips therefore buy the right muffs!

Oh, and foam lever sleeves!
Some say...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2014, 10:16:33 am »

I read fully and paid complete attention- my point is completely valid from years of experience riding through snow as a courier, you want hands on experience of an everyday rider then that is mine!
if you're riding in the cold months day and night then gloves alone, no matter how expensive or thick or waterproof are not enough to keep your hands warm-
you need several things-

Some say...

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 October 2014, 10:56:29 am »
Buy a pair of silk under gloves, dirt cheap and make a massive difference!

Second that but not you still need waterproof gloves, most of which are thick winter gloves. I do keep a pair of thin silk gloves in my pocket for early morning/late night summer rides though.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2014, 03:15:41 pm »
I'm with punkstig in this one in all trueness. I've been a 365 biker for over a decade now, (that's when I gave up on cars), and muffs/heated grips have been the only thing that have allowed my hands to survive longer than an hour.

My super-duper H-G gloves are ok for an hour, but that's it. Summer gloves with maybe a liner (just use thin cotton) heavily modified muffs to stop wind collapse, and heated grips are what used to see me through my 240 mile commute.

Not tried heated gloves as I really don't need them anymore, but heard a lot of good things about them. Handguards are a bit of a waste of time for winter riding, they don't really do bugger-all.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2014, 04:36:28 pm »
I like the look of those  Alpinestars Apex Drystars I dont commute, but do ride through the winter but dont do rain, my summer gloves are alpinestars GP pro. The thing i think about winter gloves as that they never "look" like they would offer as much protection as my summer gloves in an off. 
Think I will get a pair of silk gloves which I am hoping will mean I can carry on with my gp pros for a little longer into the winter, as I dont like the way thick gloves remove a lot of feel.   
« Last Edit: 12 October 2014, 05:29:55 pm by fazersharp »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 October 2014, 04:45:51 pm »
I'm with punkstig in this one in all trueness. I've been a 365 biker for over a decade now, (that's when I gave up on cars), and muffs/heated grips have been the only thing that have allowed my hands to survive longer than an hour.

My super-duper H-G gloves are ok for an hour, but that's it. Summer gloves with maybe a liner (just use thin cotton) heavily modified muffs to stop wind collapse, and heated grips are what used to see me through my 240 mile commute.

Not tried heated gloves as I really don't need them anymore, but heard a lot of good things about them. Handguards are a bit of a waste of time for winter riding, they don't really do bugger-all.

Also a 365 rider. Totally agree with the pair of you on this when it comes to a Fazer i.e. muffs (Punkstigs recommended ones ONLY). Only disagree with the handguards bit, these plus heated grips and good gloves on the Tiger are ample.....for me.

As for gloves, I swore by the Spada Enforcers for warmth, 100% waterproof etc....until I broke my wrist when ice skating and decided that scaphoid protectors were for me so changed to the Racer Titan gloves....also good gloves.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/racer-titan-waterproof-gloves-black/3649

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/spada-enforcer-waterproof-gloves/826
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 October 2014, 06:11:15 pm »

you need several things-

I have some bar muffs around already. I am asking for different reasons - I already know muffs are the best way. Don't argue with me, I've got reasons for not asking about them, you just don't know them! The same thing with heated gloves. (I have heated grips fitted too)

Good to see more positive reviews from other people on gloves - especially the Spada Enforcer after this (admittedly 2 years ago):
http://www.visordown.com/product-features/tested-sub-100-all-weather-gloves/21734-8.html#historysub

Although MCN also tested the Spada Enforcer (in 2009) and gave them the highest score in the group test. Alongside was the £29.99 Tuzo TZG-5, which no one here appears to have. They're meant to be really quite bulky, but ridiculously warm and waterproof otherwise (No link to test as it's a PDF - google for it if you want):
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productinfo/222303/Clothing-and-Helmets/Winter-Gloves/Tuzo

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 October 2014, 07:12:45 pm »
I use the Spada Enforcers and they are very good but i find the wrist strap doesnt go tight enough and the the cuffs are quite wide making it hard to fit under a jacket sleeve  :rolleyes

Mark :)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2014, 01:01:26 pm »

As for gloves, I swore by the Spada Enforcers for warmth, 100% waterproof etc....until I broke my wrist when ice skating and decided that scaphoid protectors were for me so changed to the Racer Titan gloves....also good gloves.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/racer-titan-waterproof-gloves-black/3649

Could you tell us (me) more about these titan waterproof gloves I very much like the sound and look of these as they look like they will offer the same protection as my summer gloves and with added winter warmth. But I cannot find any winter reviews, so its over to you Frosties please 

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 October 2014, 02:02:29 pm »
Some of the gloves recommended look up to the job sure enough, but I think a winter glove isn't complete without a built in visor wipe. A wipe is especially useful for the current drizzle we are getting -when there isn't quite enough water to bead off the visor and the spray from the cars has finely powdered grime in it. Wiping with anything else other than a proper wiping blade risks scratching the visor especially if the visor is dirty.
I don't know how anyone copes without a wiper to be honest, unless peeps are prepared to put up with seeing rather less through their visor when it rains.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 October 2014, 02:15:55 pm »
Another vote here for Spada Enforcers. Very warm gloves. Not sure about waterproofness, as I don't ride in the rain much.

I find with a lot of the built-in visor wipes, they quickly deform and so don't work very well for long. The Enforcers have one, better than nothing I suppose.

HANDLEBAR MUFFS      :look

:b