Date: 18-05-24  Time: 19:15 pm

Author Topic: Best Screen?  (Read 9140 times)

cyclingscott

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Best Screen?
« on: 04 October 2011, 03:42:40 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've just bought an FZS1000-It's great but I would like to get a bigger screen as it's a bit windy at high speeds. Has anybody got any suggestions for a good screen?

I've seen a double bubble version but it's only 3cm higher than standard. Is that going to make much of a difference?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Best Screen?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2011, 04:13:21 pm »
Huge amount of discussion on this topic: agreed consensus appears to be that there is no general consensus.

It depends on your height, your helmet, riding speeds, whether you have higher / lower aftermarket handlebars, higher / lower aftermarket bar risers, the standard mirrors and how far in front the fairing sits. 

I have an MRA Vario which is the same size as the standard screen but has an adjustable vane, and a Givi D129 which is about 4 inches taller & 1 inch wider. To me, both are better than standard, but neither is good enough. The Givi transmits a *lot* of extra noise & along the top it 'vibrates' above 60mph. The Vario is quieter but seems ineffective in all but the highest vane setting, whereupon it deflects all flies straight onto to my visor.

Remove your mirrors, go for a ride & see if that makes a difference.... or alternatively keep them on & remove the screen to see what extra turbulence factors are at work...   

kevinf-g

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2011, 04:18:18 pm »
Me and Tom found a double Bubble to be the most effective, we are different heights and tried most other screens but settled on these as the best of both worlds.

cyclingscott

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2011, 05:42:19 pm »
Thanks Guys,

I am 6'3" (meant to put that in the original post, sorry) so I guess it's always going to be a bit windy unless I fit a really big screen which I don't really want to do. Maybe the shape of the double bubble screen makes more difference than the actual height?

Everything on the bike is standard by the way.

Scott

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2011, 07:05:51 pm »
I've got a GL1800 Goldwing with a 4" taller than original screen - can't see over the top without standing up on pegs and I have a windscreen wiper for when it rains! - I still wear earplugs, 'cos it's a motorcycle and there's wind noise.  ANY screen/fairing will cause noise/buffeting, it's just a question of what the rider's prepared to put up with.  I won't be buying a taller screen for my Fazer 1000, but am looking for one of the smaller genuine Yamaha screens 'cos my upper torso (6'2" meself) will be outta the turbulance just as a naked.  Sometimes less is best.  :eek
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2011, 08:41:10 pm »
Got to agree with Kebab, screens are such a subjective thing, I changed the original for a powerbronze screen but also have a givi, which is a bit noisy, then again I don't like full face helmets as they make me claustrophobic so any screen will be noisy for me!! :\
You can get a 20 inch Rifle screen from the states, looks odd but may work, check out www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1 (pats motorcycle page) its a great resource for fazer1000 stuff.
Anyone tried a schuberth C3 helmet???

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

cyclingscott

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2011, 10:02:10 pm »
Kevinf-g, how tall are you?

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2011, 02:13:03 am »
I had a bit of trouble with getting battered around by the wind while riding but thought nothing of it,
I bought a double bubble purely for the different colour but have noticed a difference.
Cant say it'll be the same for all, also i only have FZS600, but a few friends have double bubble for the same reason.
I'm 5ft9 btw so tall enough to peep over the top of most screens! :)
Ride It Like You've Stole It

markp2

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2011, 01:46:03 pm »
I use a MRA Vario screen but with the little movable bit taken off and the original Yamaha screen put in it's place. I did a write up with pics on the old forum about this. I am 6'2" and it greatly reduces the amount of buffeting up to about 110mph but it is noisy. The wind is obviously deflected away from the body and hits my helmet at visor level. If I duck down a bit, it all goes quiet.
Cheers,
Mark

cyclingscott

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2011, 08:00:01 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone.

In case anybody is interested, after a lot of looking around, I went for a Double Bubble screen from Zero Gravity. I've fitted it, it looks good and it definitely improves the wind buffeting-there is still some buffeting but it's acceptable now.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2011, 06:45:53 am »
I too like the vario, in 9 yrs of fazer ownership I have tried almost all screens available. None do a perfect job, but the stock one is the worst for a bike capable of a true 155 mph.
I found the DB type to improve things, but to be very noisy ( whistling). The vario is quiet but does have some turbulence over 120 mph. TBH at these speeds I would duck down anyway. In calm weather I have riden at 130mph + in germany for several hours with the vario on, and found it quite comfortable.In terms of overall effectiveness I found the vario to be the best compromise.
If you can, try diffrent screens as one may be better for your needs.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2011, 07:25:11 pm »
My experience is bigger screen = less wind = more noise. i used to use a TCP in winter which kept all the wind off me but noisy as foc. I used to put the OE one back on in summer just to enjoy the quiet.

Of course that may just be me - but my choices are windy OR noisy and I have settled on a compromise between the two/
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2011, 10:09:56 am »

I tried a vario, but found it presented more surface area to the oncoming wind,  so was worse than standard at speed,  but better at slower speeds.

Went for a puig double bubble,  and it was much better at speed.   It lifted the weight higher up, so I was getting it in the shoulders,  as I always will (I'm over 6"3 - but currently just under 19st) so the extra girth definitely has an effect too.  A big one!.     The major advantage of the double b, is that you can get in behind it,  and it's then superb,  if you're not too wide further down.     

A big influencing factor I found,  when I was not so fat (around 16st) and hence not as wide,   was my helmet.   I went from AGV, to Caberg then splashed out on an Arai RX7,  and that was the dogs danglies.   I had substantial helmet "lift" with the other two,  but I got the Arai deliberately very snug fitting,  and it didn't move upwards half an inch at 155+.  I even turned my head sideways and rotated it to see if there would be a difference but it was solid as a rock.   I could actually sit up,  and forget about the lid completely,  and not be mullered by buffeting either.   Down behind the tank was brilliant.    Earplugs are essential for high speed work though'

I'd never heard of removing the mirrors before.   I have a chromed cruiser type of mirror - screws into the right hand side,  and has little wind resistance,  so I might give that a shot later.  Looks great as well.     Different horses for courses,  but with the standard screen I was being lifted back on the bike, and wind hitting me around diaghpram level.   Total pants.   But a rider below 6" should have much better success with it,  and with the double,  provided they are normal frame size,  shouldn't have too many issues at all.
Head Focced