Date: 20-05-24  Time: 23:39 pm

Author Topic: rac break down problem  (Read 1526 times)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
rac break down problem
« on: 01 June 2015, 02:26:36 pm »
Bit of a twat here in Italy . One of our bikes has broken. A triumph speed triple. Missing badly.coil or something.
Rider has rac breakdown a d repatriation. Bike gone on break down truck. But rac says bike can't be looked at until Wednesday.we will be home by then.but rac say if bike  can be fixed then he has to ride it home. They say get cheap flight home and we will pay for it.

What a pile of shit. Total let down

Also they said hire a car to Italy border. Get taxi to next hire place .then taxi on.pay a d reclaim costs.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Re: rac break down problem
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2015, 04:23:17 pm »
Only happened to us once. A mates R1 went bang big time on day one of two day trip home.

Don't know who he was insured with but they dealt with it pretty well from what I remember. His bike was taken away, he was put up in a hotel for the night and a hire car delivered the next morning. He made the same ferry as us!

His bike was damaged by the recovery/repatriation  process but that's a different story!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2015, 04:42:11 pm »
You always hope it doesn't happen.
Anyone  know someone in the rac
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2015, 06:23:22 pm »
I was with RAC couple of years ago when a back tyre gave up on me in a non reparable way. One phone call to RAC in England and they arranged recovery to a garage. Too late to do anything that evening and I managed to sort getting and fitting new tyre with the garage myself the following day. They did ring me back to check if I needed any further help but said I would not be able to claim cost of a nights accomodation. Was just glad I could ride the bike again and overall pleased with the service from RAC.
Best of luck with getting sorted Slimwilly.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2015, 01:10:53 pm »
  But rac says bike can't be looked at until Wednesday.we will be home by then.but rac say if bike  can be fixed then he has to ride it home. 

Are they saying once they fix the bike he has to go back and ride it home?  That's not right.

I can understand the repairers not being able to look at the bike straight away as most dealers/garages will have work booked in at this time of year. Once diagnosed there will be another delay for parts and fitment.

You've said he has the repatriation cover so guess he has 5 star or standard cover.

http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/european-breakdown-cover
5 Star - Repatriation included

Standard - Repatriation included up to £500 to get your vehicle back to the UK

Short trip - no Repatriation included  back to UK

http://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/breakdown/ebc-web-pdf-31-03-14 

Section 9 – Vehicle repatriation - Repatriation (including storage while awaiting repatriation) of the vehicle back to the territory if the vehicle cannot be repaired by the time you plan to go home and your vehicle is not roadworthy.

Ive taken the fact that a bad misfire means that the bike isn't roadworthy to ride back.

Although if the bike isn't worth that much this exclusion might apply 'Up to market value of your vehicle'
« Last Edit: 02 June 2015, 01:20:35 pm by Phil »