Date: 17-05-24  Time: 21:00 pm

Author Topic: Heads up (Barry Sheene)  (Read 2100 times)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Heads up (Barry Sheene)
« on: 23 December 2014, 06:50:49 pm »
« Last Edit: 23 December 2014, 10:26:32 pm by slimwilly »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Heads up (Barry Sheene)
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2014, 07:47:44 pm »
 :thumbup.That's a definite watch.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2014, 06:10:42 am »
Today !!  9pm BBC 2
« Last Edit: 28 December 2014, 06:11:39 am by slimwilly »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2014, 09:09:53 pm »
Great programme that,what a legend,talk about focus & determination,especially after those crashes.The '79 British GP must have been an amazing race to see.Classic era.Not sure I could have handled the responsibility of riding the RG at the end the programme tho!.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2014, 09:03:05 am »
In general it was ok, but thought Vic Reeves was the wrong choice to present it. Too much time wasted on him and preparing to ride the RG than get on with telling us more about Barry.

I know he was meant to add some entertainment to proceedings, but he rides like a granddad and was completely the wrong person to put on it. He didn't even seem that taken with the experience.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2014, 09:33:19 am »

I know he was meant to add some entertainment to proceedings, but he rides like a granddad and was completely the wrong person to put on it.

I'm a granddad, what are you trying to say!  >:

;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2014, 09:37:20 am »
In general it was ok, but thought Vic Reeves was the wrong choice to present it. Too much time wasted on him and preparing to ride the RG than get on with telling us more about Barry.

I know he was meant to add some entertainment to proceedings, but he rides like a granddad and was completely the wrong person to put on it. He didn't even seem that taken with the experience.

Must agree, why not have Guy Martin present it since he is kinda the modern ish version and is well practiced now at presenting on TV plus can ride a bike well.

Was a good programme though, I enjoyed it, too young to remember Barry Sheen so I actually learned something. Was much better than Top Gear before it which although featuring nice scenery was pretty dull.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2014, 09:51:15 am »
thought it was good...your all right about vic,just didn`t seam to fit in,some good footage in there,best bit for me and probably most, was the cheeky "wave" to roberts  :lol  you got to have balls to do that   :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2014, 12:57:09 pm »
Showing my age now --- can remember seeing the race on the telly also saw him race live at Mallory way back. Got the thumbs-up from him at Donnington at the end of the classic race in 1992 (I think) Within a year Cancer got him R.I.P.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2014, 02:27:12 pm »
It was a fitting tribute to a fantastic determined racer, a proper lad, and a true legend.

Vic Reeves seemed to be living his own dream, but added the comedy factor squeezing him into a one piece, and sitting him on Barry Sheene's super focused machine. Oh sweet comical irony!

You could also see that Roberts was holding back when asked about Sheene. They hated each other, as they were enemies, but had the very highest of respect too. Both gentlemen racers, both timeless legends.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2014, 03:53:41 pm »
Brought back great meemories - I'm old and knackered enough to have been at Silverstone for that epic race and to this day i agree ith Murray Walker it was the most tense and exciting race I've ever seen ,the atmosphere was just incredible.....a real high point!  Sheene and Roberts always lit the place up whenever they appeared whether on 750s or 500s.......they called it as they saw it definitely NOT PR dummies saying all the right things......Bye Barry - you're truly missed.
This is as young as you're ever going to be!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2014, 04:27:41 pm »

I think they pick presenters who are best known for other stuff in order to try to attract a wider audience.If it's a bike programme presented by a biker,probably only bikers are gonna tune in.It was good that the various contributors they spoke to were people who actually knew & were involved with Barry.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2014, 08:47:46 pm »
some good footage in there,best bit for me and probably most, was the cheeky "wave" to roberts  :lol  you got to have balls to do that   :lol

Yeah,it didn't look much like a wave did it?!.I think Murrays description might be what could be called 'broadcasting etiquette' :lol.

You can almost smell the 2-stroke oil in this clip...