Date: 27-04-24  Time: 14:08 pm

Author Topic: Valve Clearance Check  (Read 1755 times)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Valve Clearance Check
« on: 19 June 2013, 11:23:09 am »
I want to do a valve clearance check....something I have never done before. (Bike now done 26k miles).
I have looked at the service manual and want to have a go myself but just wonder about a couple of things.
Is access easy enough? The AIS is removed.
Will I need new gaskets?
How long should it take me?....Oh, that's three things!

Anything else for a 'first timer'?

Thanks

D

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Valve Clearance Check
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2013, 02:19:59 pm »
Theres enough clearance to get the camshaft cover out-much easier with  AIS already off!  The rubber sealing gasket for cover should be OK-you may need to add some instant gasket to half moon shaped areas where the gasket locates in top of cylinder head. Oh yes-you will need to remove the timing rotor cover to turn the engine whilst checking valves-so good idea to replace the paper gasket. Easier to see whats going on with (empty?) fuel tank raised & supported or removed. Time?-how often do you need a cup of tea/fag break? At least your not billing yourself  :lol  but allow plenty of time. Remember its 1-2-4-3-but you knew that didn't you!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2013, 02:53:48 pm »
You might get lucky and have the timing cover gasket survive without tearing.  If you fit a new one, grease both sides so you can remove it again in the future.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/fastfranksvalvecheckadjustmenttips.shtml

I'd remove the tank to make everything more clearly visible.  You might need to shuffle a few things around over the head to get the cover off but take your time and it's do-able.

You'll need narrow tapered feeler gauges as the valves are small and access to a lot of them is constrained by castings in the head.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2013, 09:15:04 pm »
Thank you guys and thanks for the link Mike...that is really helpful.
Just need to build up the courage to have a go now! :eek

D

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2013, 10:41:05 pm »
In addition to what has already been mentioned.
You need to drain the coolant,
I would recommend removing the radiator and the thermostat housing as it makes access for removing and replacing the AIS system much easier. It also makes it easier to see what you are doing.
Remove the hoses from the H shaped coolant pipe unit to the coolant pipes on the cylinder head, Remove the two coolant pipes attached to the cylinder head (Black on the right unpainted on the left.
Remove the spark plugs
Replace the two O rings on the coolant pipes attached to the head.
You will most likely require a gasket for the cover over the timing rotor cover.
I would  strongly recommend buying or borrowing a small torque wrench 0 to 20Nm, many of the bolts only require 10Nm torque and are easily over tightened
If any of the clearances are out of tolerance and you  need to change shims then you will also need a tensioner gasket and possibly shims. Sometime you will get away with swapping the shims around.
If you are doing it for the first time take photographs as you go and it will make reassembly easier.
The secret is: take you time, be meticulous and use proper fitting tools

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2013, 11:00:05 pm »
I'm less than an hour from you bud. If you want a helping hand just send me a pm. It's a straightforward enough job that I've done umpteen times. Off on my annual Euro trip though so not back till early July.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2013, 11:29:20 pm »
Thank you for that offer, I might just take you up on it......in the meantime enjoy your trip!