Date: 20-05-24  Time: 04:21 am

Author Topic: Buzzy bars  (Read 2440 times)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Buzzy bars
« on: 07 June 2012, 04:47:18 pm »
I've noticed an increase in the buzz I get through the grips at around 6500rpm, especially through the throttle grip, which is making my right hand go numb on longer journeys.

I think the Oxford heated grips I fitted might have exacerbated this but without them my hands will go numb from the cold!

I already have some heavy oberon stainless bar ends.... would switching out the oem bars to some Renthals cure this? Any other suggestions?

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzy bars
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2012, 04:52:29 pm »
Welcome to my world, mine is more 6000 revs though, I've been told by others on here that this is an "enhanced feature" of a Fazer....blooming annoying though, my right hand goes numb on a long journey.

I've got Oxford hot grips on mine and it's made no difference.

I balanced the carbs last year and it did help a little (placebo effect?) and I'm due to balance them again in a couple of weeks so we'll see if it again helps.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2012, 11:23:54 pm »
I thought it was just me! My right hand always ends up numb after a medium to long journey (say 30 miles+ ??) Figured it was just my riding position, or gloves, or something to do with me in general. I usually end up flexing my hand as much as possible at lights / traffic to get the blood pumping again but can be difficult on long A roads...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2012, 06:32:57 am »
I thought it was just me! My right hand always ends up numb after a medium to long journey (say 30 miles+ ??) Figured it was just my riding position, or gloves, or something to do with me in general. I usually end up flexing my hand as much as possible at lights / traffic to get the blood pumping again but can be difficult on long A roads...

yes thats what i do.....looks like ive riden hundreds of miles and not about 20/30....going to try some foam grips i`ll let you know the outcome  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2012, 11:34:32 am »
i had a bandit 12. and that was a bstd!!!!......what i did was?...take off bar ends, and fill bars with...expanding foam!!! ;) ....then replace bar ends!!....job done!! :)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2012, 01:29:31 pm »
I think the answer's heavier bar end weights, I've been meaning to change mine for quite some time as I've got 60 miles of A road every day, normally taken between 6 and 7 thousand revs.

anyone else tried this?

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2012, 01:07:51 pm »
hmmmm, was hoping there was a cure for this! There has always been a buzz there but I'm sure it's got worse recently. I already have pretty heavy bar end weights so maybe a carb balance will help.

I know of various anti-vibe products such as a long rubbery insert that goes all the way through the handlebars but these are usually from the US and are quite expensive....

Maybe I'll give the Renthal bars a shot and see if they help.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2012, 01:37:00 pm »
filling the bars with expanding foam was a well known bandit fix!!!!!....specialy with the bandit 6!!.....it certainly cured my 12!!!!!!!!!! so i cannot see why it wont work on any other bike???????? the american fix you mention is a tube of rubber/silicoln,...which you push through bars then trim off!!....the expanding foam does exactly the same!! ..and is pounds cheaper!!!!!!!! ;) ....when filling bars though?..you do so very slowly .best from each end?...bit at a time!!..then when you cant get any more in, leave to settle!! for at least 15mins, after that time simply cut off surplus, re.fit bar ends.......

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2012, 02:27:10 pm »
CRH, that's a good idea, I'll bear that in mind, I can see a trip to homebase calling!

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2012, 12:44:59 pm »
Mine used to do this a lot around 6000rpm 70mph
It was cured by renthal ultra low bars & i do not have any bar end weights fitted bike runs smooth as, no vibes at any revs,SIMPLES.
Ps you have to use the bike to keep things running smooth not sit looking at it and polishing the life out of it.. ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2012, 02:24:25 pm »
I was chatting about this last night, as you do, and a friend of mine suggested filling the bars with sand.

Kinda made sense, and will be a lot easier to do, and a less messier option!  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2012, 08:37:43 am »
ooooooo, liking the idea of expanding foam.  I've never used the stuff myself, are there different types? If so, if there a particular type I need to be using or is expanding foam expanding foam?

Possibly a bit of a noob question, but thought I'd best check.

Cheers

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2012, 10:09:48 am »
Tell you what it's -ing messy!

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 June 2012, 10:32:27 am »
ooooooo, liking the idea of expanding foam.  I've never used the stuff myself, are there different types? If so, if there a particular type I need to be using or is expanding foam expanding foam?

Possibly a bit of a noob question, but thought I'd best check.

Cheers
just use the make/brand available to you!....best to ware gloves when using it?...but its supplied with a long nozzle which you insert in bar anyway?..so you should not find it messy??....just make sure to leave it to cure?..usualy ..15mins in open air will do?..

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2012, 04:46:13 pm »
Just checking before I over force something and it all goes horribly wrong (usual for me)....I removed the bar end by unscrewing the allen bolt but I was unable to remove the part where the bar end screws into in order to fill the bars with foam.  I presume this bit comes out, but how?  I didn't want to force it and bugger it up.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 June 2012, 05:21:35 pm »
Wet sand can often do the job.

I use a Scottoiler Crampbuster for distance work

Scottoiler Crampbuster

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 June 2012, 08:11:27 pm »
I haven't tried it with the Fazer but did the following on a previous Honda, which also had bar ends that screwed in to a threaded weight inside the bar. Might be the same, or it might be completely different, but worth a go maybe!

There were two holes drilled into the bar, one ontop, the other below, around an inch from each end of the bar. To remove the weights inside, you had to depress two clips/buttons inside the holes and slide the weight out. I remember just rolling the clutch side grip out of the way to do this, but cannot remember what I did on the throttle side - I'm guessing you might have to remove the throttle assembly, so it'd make sense to start with the clutch side.