Date: 18-04-24  Time: 13:19 pm

Author Topic: High pressure selling of software to my 75 year old mum!  (Read 3623 times)

urbanswine

• Technically More Proficient than Blue2
    imageJanuary 2010  
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
High pressure selling of software to my 75 year old mum!
« on: 08 November 2011, 06:59:56 pm »
My mum got a phone call from some Indian person today and managed to scare the shit out of her and she ended up spending £249 on some software!  [size=0pt] [/size][size=0pt][/color]http://www.quickresolve.net/[/size][/url] is the name of the company, anyone heard of it? Would appreciate a heads up on how they work. Cheers.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: High pressure selling of software to my 75 year old mum!
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2011, 07:11:08 pm »
Read..

http://www.geospecialling.com/index.php/2011/05/a-new-breed-of-scam-quickresolve-net/

And...

http://www.coras-it.co.uk/blog/quick-resolve/

Interesting....fecking bastids eh! Sorry to hear your gran got scammed tho fella!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2011, 07:19:45 pm »
Bunch O'Bastids :guns

I had that call a couple of years ago, I have to confess I quite enjoyed myself with him, but can see how the unsuspecting might fall for it. :(

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2011, 07:27:18 pm »
It's a scam, unfortunately because the call centre is based in India they are not bound by EU rules so getting any kind of refund through the company concerned is not going to be likely. If your mum paid by credit card she should contact her credit card company ASAP and tell them the situation they might be able to sort something out, if she paid by debit card she should contact her bank and ask them to stop payment if possible but she's probably got more of a job on her hands.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2011, 07:31:43 pm »
I should also add that the chances of them having put some spyware on her computer is pretty high, so it would really be sensible for her to disconnect her PC from the internet until she can get her hard drive checked out and for her to change all of her online passwords for banking etc.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2011, 07:40:35 pm »
Bastids! It's always the elderly that can least afford it that fall for these cons, string em up...
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

urbanswine

imageJanuary 2010  
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2011, 07:42:56 pm »
She feels sick now :( She will take her laptop to a local shop in the morning and is contacting the CC company, I told her when some one else tries it again tell them to FUCK OFF! :)

Thanks for your prompt replies

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2011, 10:25:45 pm »
I have been contacted by this very company twice this year. Ironically I work in IT security so was very interested when they advised that my PC had a virus and they had noticed it. I tied the chap in knots over my 5 min conversation and he put the phone down on me eventually. not nice when someone is scammed  :(

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2011, 09:36:47 am »
i had the call yesterday, and apparently it was the FBI that had told him to call me !!!
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2011, 11:25:26 am »
My old man (69) had a call a few weeks ago.   The guy had a lot of his details,  and told him there was a problem with his computer.   The oul fella can just about manage to turn the thing on and off,  but twigged (thankfully) something wasn't right, so didn't fall for it.    If he had a few taken,  it might have been different.  I'd love to meet some of these people.
Head Focced

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2011, 02:38:37 pm »
Friend of mine had these scammers on the phone for 45 minutes the other week trying to get her to install their software so they could clean her pc as it was slowing down their servers. Fortunately she clicked and realised not to install it when the guy became very insistent and called me to go check everything out. I ran full diagnostics even though she assured me she had only downloaded the file but not executed it. Everything was clean but I had to impress on her not to listen to them and call me if she had any doubts or problems with her pc as I do everything for them because we are friends.

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2011, 05:07:39 pm »
This has reminded me of the times as a teenager, we used to go through the phone book and make random calls.   I once spoke to a lady for 30minutes and told her I was from the Electrical section of the Council, and that her neighbours had complained to me that her fridge was too noisy, and was keeping them awake at night  :rollin    I told her the fridge had to be at least 6 inches away from the wall,  otherwise kinetic vibrations would rattle the pictures on the neighbours wall..  She said her husband would move it when he came home from work.
Head Focced

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2011, 06:19:52 pm »
This has reminded me of the times as a teenager, we used to go through the phone book and make random calls.   I once spoke to a lady for 30minutes and told her I was from the Electrical section of the Council, and that her neighbours had complained to me that her fridge was too noisy, and was keeping them awake at night  :rollin    I told her the fridge had to be at least 6 inches away from the wall,  otherwise kinetic vibrations would rattle the pictures on the neighbours wall..  She said her husband would move it when he came home from work.

I used to do this type of thing too

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2011, 06:24:20 pm »
Worst thing we did on the phone was call every taxi company we could think of,  and have them call at a mate's house from 0100 - 0400.   We were in the bushes opposite his house drinking beer and giggling quietly when every taxi turned up at his house.
Must find him some day and tell him it was me and my uncle.
Apologies for the  :hijack
Head Focced

urbanswine

imageJanuary 2010  
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2011, 11:25:28 am »
no Apologies necessary :) Mum has cancelled her card and the cc company say they will not honour it and PC in with reputable local pc guy :)

Thanks for the links and support.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 November 2011, 12:03:09 pm »
Thank goodness you got involved so quickly Derek.
Just think how many poor people pay them and never realize they've been scammed.

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 November 2011, 12:26:00 pm »
Thank "god" she got her money back.   These people are as bad as real life scum who mug pensioners.  I'd like to feed them their own balls.
Head Focced