Date: 26-04-24  Time: 07:28 am

Author Topic: windows scam phonecalls  (Read 2657 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
windows scam phonecalls
« on: 15 May 2012, 04:19:04 pm »
in the past 2 days i have had 2 phone calls from scammers saying i have a problem with my computer,normaly during the week i would be at work but im on the sick so im home and get these annoying phone calls,on the first call the indian woman kept on that my computer would not connect to the internet and she got a bit annoyed before i hung up,on both calls i did 1471 and only the second call did i get a number which doing a web search nothing came up,that number is 092318 .anyone else had these calls?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: windows scam phonecalls
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 04:23:04 pm »
string them along as much as you can (or can be bothered to), but don't go near any websites they ask you to! More people that waste their time, maybe they'll give up (I live in hope :lol )

It is indeed a scam, I've had them on the phone before, as have other folks on here.

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2012, 04:46:16 pm »
I thought this was going to be about double glazing...................

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2012, 05:29:51 pm »
A mate of mine got suckered by one of these calls, the thieving scum took £150 off his credit card, and he had to fork out another £50 to the computer shop to clear the viruses off that their so called fixes put on, I string them on for a while then tell them I don't have a computer.
Just out of interest Solorider, have you called your internet provider recently for any reason, I only get them calling me after i've been in touch with BT's Indian branch. :\
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2012, 05:42:51 pm »
Just out of interest Solorider, have you called your internet provider recently for any reason, I only get them calling me after i've been in touch with BT's Indian branch. :\
not for over a year i have not,im with virgin media

urbanswine

• Technically More Proficient than Blue2
    imageJanuary 2010  
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2012, 09:50:40 pm »
my mum (76) was done last year. CC company know its a scam but refused to help her. They just kept badgering her and she caved. She felt really stupid afterwards but she has no knowledge and allowed them remote access to her laptop. She phoned me and I told her to take it to a local computer company. the bloke only charged her £20 to sort it as he was angry with the scammers. I just tell any cold caller to foc-off if they question my initial rejection  :b

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2012, 10:00:34 pm »
Sign up to TPS............ it stops pretty much all UK based cold callers. Can't do owt about overseas though.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2012, 11:55:48 pm »
I've been getting quite a few of these recently. I strung the first couple along before asking them if their mother knew that their child was a scammer and a thief and whether she'd be proud of what they're doing, but that didn't put them off and now, even though I tell them I know it's a scam and I'm not going to download their software, they *still* keep trying and even call back!

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do short of blocking international calls (which I don't want to do as it's my business phone line) and the TPS is as much use as a chocolate fireguard for stopping them.

Virgin did say I could contact a bunch of people calling themselves the "Call Prevention Registry", but they want £40 a year and all they do is "supply more than 1,500 data houses throughout the UK and overseas with our Do-Not-Call lists" which is only any good if the scammers actually paid any attention to such lists.

They can also (for sixty quid) supply you with "The All in One Call Blocker" which is a gizmo that you plug into your phone line and which will store a scammer's number and block it in future, but that only works if they haven't witheld their number and it's not an international call. It also claims it can block international calls, but I can get Virgin to do that already and, as I've said, I don't want to do that on my business line :(

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2012, 07:31:44 am »
TPS doesn't seem to help much these days, it used to stop them all but as said scams and overseas are not bothered by it.
If you have the time just go along and give loads of crap details and generally try and have fun with them before telling them what positions you have been in with their wife/mother and to go away politely.
Just remember not to slip up and give any real details.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2012, 08:33:02 am »
Sign up to TPS............ it stops pretty much all UK based cold callers. Can't do owt about overseas though.
i signed up a few years a go,what is annoying is my number is ex directory so they cant get my phone number from the phone directory

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2012, 10:20:00 am »
Tell 'em you don't have a phone line, confuses the foc out of them  :lol

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2012, 10:43:10 am »
I'd like to string all these scamming bastards up by their neck from a tree. I've had 2 friends fall for it and I've had to deal with the fallout.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2012, 11:59:11 am »
As my granddad is retired now he loves winding these people up.

When they call he makes himself sound all frail and inept, can keep them on the phone for half an hour just rambling on, sure cheers up his day!

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2012, 12:28:54 pm »
Same as Graham told them stop talking baws and get a real job and is your father proud of you ,,,,not that they will care
Its just a ride

ReNcE

• Big Posh Prawn Ring
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2012, 06:36:10 pm »
I had them a couple of times, an indian guy who started by saying 'Hello my name is Dave". Then proceeded to tell me that I had a problem with my computer, when I asked which one he said 'the main one thats connected to the internet, when I pointed out that there was a PC & 4 laptops(they dont all work but hey he doesn't need to know that) all on a wireless network he got flustered, then I told him I wasn't continuing with the conversation as he didn't know what he was talking about, and had lied from the start ( sure he wasn't really called Dave!) and was just on the con and hung up

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2012, 06:48:54 pm »
strange............ I don't get any stuff like that.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2012, 09:44:03 pm »
strange............ I don't get any stuff like that.

Just wait they will be on to you soon :pokefun :rollin
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2012, 10:19:21 am »
just had a 3rd call today,an indian sounding woman who said her name was sandra  :rollin

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2012, 10:53:43 am »
Yep. Had one last week. Indian man telling me I had a problem with my computer??? I sounded all interested, then put the phone down by the radio and left him to it..............................
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2012, 11:16:28 am »
I do the same as Dilligaff or I pass the phone to one of the kids and tell them that the person at the other end wants them to sing that lovely christmas song they know!

funny they dont last long as the other 2 then want to have a go and then end up arguing and snatching the phone from each other!

my mate had one of these and he works for the Police in their internet computer division oh i wish he had recorded that call!! lol :rollin :lol
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2012, 01:11:52 pm »
My collegue used to work for bt and he knows alot about computers and networking. He had them on the phone and made mincemeat of them. he asked them for their ip address and loads of other techinical stuff. This confused the scammer so much they hung up on him. He then got on to bt and told them. So i think they will be investigated if enough people complain about them.