Date: 26-04-24  Time: 08:10 am

Author Topic: Hein Gerike - A store in decline?  (Read 8233 times)

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Hein Gerike - A store in decline?
« on: 07 April 2012, 11:15:27 am »
My leathers have shrunk yet again over the winter so it's time for some new ones.

I've been getting emails from HG with all sorts of offers I didn't really look at as I never needed anything but got one yesterday that caught my eye as I knew I possbly need some kit. It started off at 20% off any 1 HG item. Scrolling down revealed up to 30% off trading your old kit in, like for like eg a jacket for a jacket.

Now I didn't really expect 30% but chucked my leather jacket and jeans in the car boot and took a drive down there.

On arrival, was greeted by a very pleasant young man. I thought I'd get it out in the open straight away and ask about the trade in after informing him what I wanted to purchase. He straight away said no need to trade in, they would probably be able to give a better discount anyway!

I was looking at their sport style leathers and he said 30% discount, no trade ins or vouchers required  :eek

So I was in luck after all. I like HG gear, it's all I have ever bought and never had a problem with any of it so started to try it on.

As you may know they use the euro sizing which gets a bit confusing. The biggest one on the rail, a 58 was too tight. After some dissusions about ordering in a bigger size (60) the assistant discovered that was the biggest size they do. I didn't really beleive that as we've all seen the size of fellow bikers tucking in to a breakfast and they've mostly got leathers that fit!

So I moved to the Alpinestars rack wher it's even worse. HG only go to 54 I think it was  :(

Why are they only stocking boy's sizes?????  If you want a good old fashioned XL or bigger they point you to the textile rails. Looking in their catalogue later they do a basic no frills leather a bit bigger.

Very dissapointing, not much in stock, no range of sizes for anyone older than 10 and chucking discounts around, not looking good to me.

Went round the corner to a largish independant multi franshise dealers.  The Dainese racks had an Easter only special of 20% off, mmmmmm.

There was a new out Avro jacket in black and white with flashes of red on it - lovely.
Largest they had was the fabled 58 but larger sizes were available - hoorah!!

The 58 fitted perfectly, enough room in case they shrink over the next few winters as well - bonus. Looked at the price lable, gulp but only about £80 dearer than HG would have been and boy I looked cool with the Dainese branding  :D

I was seriously tempted. OK lets try the jeans on, I happened to look at the price first this time. £300 quid, yes £300. Twice what I was expecting. The wife said try them on and of course they fitted and I then looked uber cool  :D

I'm doing the maths and still kept hitting £544. I really couldn't bring myself to pull the readies out of my pocket :lol

Wifey says have them, you work for it and we've got it, cant take it with you etc etc.

Girl behind counter is shocked and even looked offended when I ask for a better deal  :b  Nothing doing so I walk out thinking the good old interweb will come up trumps, but no. Is there a secret society of Dianese suppliers who will kill a fellow member if he discounts?

So I've got two more discounted Easter shopping days left, will I crack, will £540 slowly become reasonable.

Will I drive back down there at warp speed and leave the shop looking so cool, girls will fall at my feet?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Hein Gerike - A store in decline?
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2012, 12:59:00 pm »
I hate Hein Gerike in Glasgow.  I really really hate em.

They are ignorant arrogant twats, and look at you as if you are from another planet if you say (haggling) ask for a free tinted visor with your 420 quid Arai, or say as they pack the display model into the box "I'll be looking for at least a ton off and a free visor if you think you are fobbing me off with the display model!"

Then went I went back a weeks later for a spare side pod after breaking it and complained bitterly about the visor system (they told me it was the best on the market, better than Shoei and I'd love it) they told me "that's just your experiance" I almost lost it with them.

Never ever going in there again.  Umm expect when I next need a hat, just to try em on, find my size, and buy elsewhere. 

Might buy from them again, but absolutely only if the Glasgow shop comes under new and decent management.  Otherwise no, never.

Oh got leathers from Scott about three years ago, top of their range, made to measure and my spec for 500 quid (jacket and troosers).  Seriously thick leather, takes a good bit of breaking in, but great value.  All black, discreet logos, so I don't look like some power ranger twat when I'm oot on ma bike.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2012, 01:29:47 pm »

I'm doing the maths and still kept hitting £544. I really couldn't bring myself to pull the readies out of my pocket :lol

Wifey says have them, you work for it and we've got it, cant take it with you etc etc.

Your wife is right, go on and treat yourself, £544 is a bargain if you think about how long they will last and how much pleasureable they are to wear than cheapo leathers. They should last 5 years which works out at £2 a week -how long does it take you to earn £2 during the week?
 I spent a similar amount on some Furygans a few years ago and they are my favourite bit of kit next to my Arai Astro R. No regrets and I look cool.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2012, 02:05:28 pm »
Bugger, just phoned em and reserved em  stand by ladies of Kent to be swooned by a cool looking biker on his sexxxy Fazer. :lol

urbanswine

• Technically More Proficient than Blue2
    imageJanuary 2010  
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2012, 06:58:07 pm »
Post a pic with them on later :P

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2012, 07:54:30 pm »
I happened to be passing earlier when he came out wearing his new kit and took a quick snap

martynR

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2012, 10:06:02 pm »
Yeah, he looks really cool!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2012, 11:25:32 pm »
I happened to be passing earlier when he came out wearing his new kit and took a quick snap

:rollin  There were enough animals killed to make his leathers to feed the lions at Longleat for a year, so it was win win !!
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2012, 10:49:30 am »
Cheeky sods! Now he,s got no chance of finding anything in Gerikes :lol Wonder how long his lap was around the ring. (looks like the nurburg ring to me?)
Old stuff just gone up on ebay so hopefully get a few quid back!

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2012, 12:54:21 pm »
Can you imagine the state of the shock after a few thousand miles with that fecker on it?

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2012, 07:14:50 am »
HG are either way over priced that they offer these discounts all the time...or they are in serious trouble and are hungry for cash....not conducive to profitable trading  maybe ??
bikes are expensive, bike gear is expensive....my opinion is they know there is not a mass market any more, so their pricing caters for the wealthy cadre who can afford them...
also ref leathers...maybe the boom in adventure bikes is affecting sales of leathers as adventure bikers tend to buy textile....??

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2012, 05:29:00 pm »
Probably too late for you now but have a look at this place http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/

Went there with my eldest around Christmas time. Seemed very friendly and good prices too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2012, 06:45:18 pm »
hein gerick the home of IAM and Rospa riders who want luminous yellow jackets  :rollin ive got teknic leathers really heavy and thick mmmm

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2012, 06:49:46 pm »
Got my Alpinestars combo of vented leather jacket and jeans from them a year or so ago.  Quite a lot of kit packed into a small-ish shop and the guys were helpful.  Prices very good but I got the impression they were clearing old/bankrupt stock on the cheap so be aware of that and check the quality/condition carefully.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2012, 06:50:44 pm »
Should have said that was TheBikerStore and not H-G. :)

No bloody edit on this side.  Hurrumph!

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2012, 06:39:43 am »
I did buy  a pair of boots from HG at xmas - I needed  to replace my ageing touring boots, which offer  ankle adjustment, essential after my broken leg which means my right ankle is bigger than my left ! HG are one of the few who stock  boots which allow this. Normal boots sometimes dont fit especially if my leg swells a bit. I got a chunk of money off which I bought a pair of gloves with.
I have found  generally their kit is good quality and does the job.Personally I find the size variance in bike kit is so big , you do need to try on b4 buying ...especially at bike kit prices.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2012, 07:44:41 am »
i agree with pitt sizes are crap went to buy some FT racing boots went up 2 sizes from norm still couldnt find a pair that fit never mind walk in them

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2012, 09:22:05 am »
Strange isn't it. The HG and Alpinestars 58 jacket don't fit yet the Danese 58 does !
I cant work HG out. They never really know when and what stock is arriving. I feel sorry for the staff.
The lad who tried to serve me was really nice and helpful but he was on a hiding to nothing.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2012, 09:44:33 am »
I did buy  a pair of boots from HG at xmas - I needed  to replace my ageing touring boots, which offer  ankle adjustment, essential after my broken leg which means my right ankle is bigger than my left ! HG are one of the few who stock  boots which allow this. Normal boots sometimes dont fit especially if my leg swells a bit. I got a chunk of money off which I bought a pair of gloves with.
I have found  generally their kit is good quality and does the job.Personally I find the size variance in bike kit is so big , you do need to try on b4 buying ...especially at bike kit prices.

What boots did you go for?

I need a new pair and have vouchers for HG, i do a bit of walking in the boots and the pair of Sidi Evo Rains i had were done in less than a year.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

ChrisJH

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2012, 10:10:46 pm »
My lad 18 keen young biker called in they had a part time job applied in person went down to the shop, had a chat with them so they knew he was genuine and knew his stuff about bikes, Didn't even get the reply no letter or call, no issue if their was a better candidate but come on not even the common courtesy to let him know
i don`t have anything profound or funny to write so .............................

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2012, 07:42:48 am »
Chris thats the norm these days for business not to contact you i rememver when i was made redundent a few years ago hardly had any replies to letters and interviews that i sent and went to

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2012, 09:51:47 am »
^absolutely, as disheartening as it is when you're looking.
thou shalt not kick

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2012, 08:17:04 am »
Tefer
I went for the cycko2 boot, £99. Its a nice boot , fits me Ok , comfy for walking for the distance I go in them. My last pair have done 8 euro tours, but were wearing out from toes touching tarmac, and  a slight wear hole had appeared in the leather at a crease point, and they leaked like a sieve......I can fit into race boots, but often my leg swells during the day where my bone was broken, and it wont go back on if I take my boot off ! Thats scary if you have to ride any further ! Sometimes my ankle will swell up to 1" in circumference, so this sort of boot means I can always get them back on.I have tried race boots up to size 12 but little diffrence in ankle provision.
Oddly it used to be the calf muscle which was the problem,as many race boots are made for waif like such ... but its now the ankle joint itself !

Tifa

• ignorant tw*t
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia Tuono + Hornet 900
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2012, 12:42:31 am »
Dainese vs HG?
No contest. The Dainese is a far better finished product.
I've recently replaced my trusty Dainese gore tex jacket. 9 years old, still watertight, and no appreciable wear. It's been macine washed every year too.
Dainese is generally well made, stylish, and ALL jackets zip up to ALL pants. Can't go wrong really.
Finally, if you sign up at the D Store, you'll get 10% discount on all future purchases.
I always use the Manc store, and the service there is second to none.

Highly, highly recommended.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2012, 04:53:37 pm »
The uber cool gear is hanging in the cupboard under the stairs, still unworn :(
Just too busy with a property for a couple of weeks.

On the bright side my old stuff made £150 on ebay so it  now only cost £400 :woot