Date: 17-05-24  Time: 13:26 pm

Author Topic: Cam chain rattle  (Read 2259 times)

BorisTheThird

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Cam chain rattle
« on: 28 May 2014, 08:22:05 pm »
Hi all!
i know this has been done to death, but wanted to clear some things up. My cam chain is rattling (badly i think, seems more then a ticking), and im getting worried about riding it. (especially after i read this thread about the engine giving up).

Whats likely to be the cause and how do i fix it?

i reset the cam chain tensioner about 6 months ago (though noticed that there were two ball bearings in to make it push more)
the bike is on 60k miles (1998)

any ideas?

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Cam chain rattle
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2014, 08:26:57 pm »
Hi does it rattle just when cold or does it continue once fully warmed up? I.e. After 10+ minute ride.

stinch182

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2014, 08:28:30 pm »
I just had the same thing and had the chain replaced . All quiet now .

BorisTheThird

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2014, 08:30:46 pm »
Hi does it rattle just when cold or does it continue once fully warmed up? I.e. After 10+ minute ride.

all the time (cold and warm)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2014, 09:07:00 pm »
If it's ratting when warmed up then it probably is time for a new cam chain, or at least to get a professional to check it out. As I understand it they stretch over time, and just like your drive chain can reach maximum stretch and should be replaced so too with the cam chain. The tensioner just takes up the slack up to that point.

Deefer has been recommended many times and by the sound of it does a proper job with an endless chain at a fair price.

And if it's stinch182's thread I was reading recently then he got a right bargain by removing the engine himself... think he got it changed for a little over £100!?

The alternative is that you take your chances, and accept that if it skips a tooth then there could be serious engine damage. It's one thing to do that when the rattle is just on a cold engine first thing in the morning, but another if it's rattling away when warm. I don't know what happens if it happens when being ridden, could it cause an accident? More experienced people than me might advise.

Or depending on the cost you might consider picking up another lower mileage engine and doing a straight swap. But probably best to get your cam chain changed as at least you know that engine is good in all other respects, and your new one might not be.

I have a bit of a rattle when it's cold in the morning, but it does go away when warmed up and so for now I'm just being careful to let it warm up on the drive and taking it easy for first few miles, and monitoring to make sure it doesn't get any worse. If it does then I am going to address it as they are meant to be enjoyed, and worrying about it all the time can spoil the fun.

Andy

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2014, 10:26:37 pm »
How many adjustments were left on the tensioner? At 60k miles it probably needs to be replaced

BorisTheThird

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2014, 10:52:31 pm »
cheers people,

going to take some bits off tomorrow to see how loose it is, and if possible tighten the cam chain tensioner (Im going down to Portsmouth for two week on sunday, and want to take the bike).

wheres a good place to get the new chain from (wemto have one, but its an endless chain.

BorisTheThird

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2014, 01:31:45 pm »
got the cam chain tensioner out, its at the end of its adjustment, so time for a new chain!

though now i need to take the car to portsmouth this weekend  :(

thanks for the help everyone!

BorisTheThird

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2014, 04:22:51 pm »
i spoke to a handy mechanic about this, who warned me that it might be the front guide that is worn, and if it is then i need to strip the engine right down.
he said to take to rocker cover off and measure the length across 10 links, and compare them to what it is meant to be, does anyone know what this is?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2014, 09:28:26 pm »
Nah once you take the cams out you can pop the front guide out. No need to take the engine apart

BorisTheThird

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2014, 05:48:48 pm »
sorry, meant rear guide.

probably going to put a new chain in without doing the guide (as it saves a bunch of work, and may not be needed).

was thinking this chain, unless anyone has a better suggestion?
http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/product/unbranded/741.21.25/timing%20chain%20open%20with%20rivet,%2092rh2010/130%20open,%20fzs600%20fazer,%20fzs600sp%20fazer?uid=0

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2014, 05:26:33 am »
Did my cam chain last year with an open chain DIY rivet link one.  Most difficult part was finding a cam chain rivet tool.  Ended up improvising  a little with a universal riveter from machinemart. Wasn't ideal but managed (with a bit of patients), to knurl over the posts  securering the link without squeezing it too much creating a tight spot.  ended up fitting and removing the cams several times afterwards, trying to line up the timing marker dots. Kept putting the exhaust cam in one tooth out...that was annoying!!! Was my first time doing it lol  but got there in the end and totally rewarding job once you hear that smooth engine without rattle :-)
This week I've been mostly tinkering in the garage