Date: 27-04-24  Time: 20:24 pm

Author Topic: wales trip advice  (Read 2825 times)

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
wales trip advice
« on: 03 May 2015, 04:57:08 pm »
Hi guys as above me and the wife are going for a trip to wales at the end of the month three nights B&B leaving from london.any suggestions for a nice scenic few days.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: wales trip advice
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2015, 05:16:15 pm »
Watching the dolphins at new Quay goes down well with my missus. The west coast is stunning.  I'll leave it to the Welsh foccers to advise you on the best roads. :D.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2015, 05:33:18 pm »
Hi guys as above me and the wife are going for a trip to wales at the end of the month three nights B&B leaving from london.any suggestions for a nice scenic few days.

There's an awful lot of nice scenery to see in three days. Where abouts are you staying?
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2015, 05:50:06 pm »
Not sure yet but think maybe head to the brecon beacons for the first night then head over to the coast and do the A487 to snowdonia for second night then maybe horseshoe pass but nothing set yet.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2015, 06:26:06 pm »
If not sport riding then your head will steer you to the sightseeing routes and seaside stops, some lovely little seaside towns,not many but a few, cut across Brecon is good as then you miss south Wales, that's vast and will take a couple of days,Noggy can see New York from his balcony :lol
I would suggest a44 to Brecon, then down to Llandovery,,good café stop there, then on and right onto A482,Lampeter through to the coast Aberaeron,, then you got the coast all the way up to Snowdonia.

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2015, 07:38:35 pm »
I'd agree with the others...as nice as my part of Wales is...it's so far away & really warrants a complete half day in itself just to do a nice little loop of the Pembrokeshire Coast......but you're then going in to the come back out rather than it being a stop along the way.

Same with the Ellan Valley dams at rhayader...ges theyre stunning...but again they warrant another half day of mooching about just on their own.

I would say that the A44 to Aberystwyth is a must do...it's a well surfaced and direct...ish road to Aberystwyth & some stunning corners...do it during the week for some decent unhindered progress.

So many other small routes and roads such as the mountain road to Machynlleth which i found last year (pictured)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2015, 07:55:48 am »
When you read the bike mag road tests you get the impression that you can "do" Wales in a couple of days.
In reality it is a sizeable country and should be signposted "Croeso y Cymru-Biker Heaven!"
I previously lived in North Wales & have spent a lot of time in the south, based around Swansea & Gower Peninsula.
If you are travelling from London due west (M4?) then you can either do the Severn crossing and then turn north through Chepstow to Monmouth along the Wye valley or you could detour off M4 towards Gloucester and then head towards Brecons/Mid-Wales.
As noggy says, a trip to West Wales would need at least a couple of day to explore whats on offer.
If you havent been to Wales previously I would opt for the Brecons initially which then puts you in a good position for Elan valley/Devils Bridge/Aberystwyth or travel north to Bala,Dolgellau/Snowdonia.
Better to focus on one area rather than spend hours in the saddle & come home with no clear memories & needing another mini-break to recuperate.
Wherever you go will be good-although  the icing on the cake would be dry roads & sunshine :lol  Enjoy!

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2015, 08:55:05 am »
Try and get a copy of bikers Britain there are lots of routes and relevant info then you won't end up on mundane boring roads

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2015, 04:11:27 pm »
and most important don't forget your passports for the severn bridge, that's a must have. :)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2015, 07:23:35 am »
and most important don't forget your passports for the severn bridge, that's a must have. :)
[/quote
And they charge "foreigners" in cages etc to enter but bikes get in free (unless theyve changed the rules?) :lol

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2015, 06:21:30 pm »
[/quote
And they charge "foreigners" in cages etc to enter but bikes get in free (unless theyve changed the rules?) :lol

Bikes still get in free !!
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2015, 07:02:13 pm »
 They have some nice hedges near Newtown, go take a look  :o   :rolleyes   :lol

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2015, 10:18:09 pm »
They have some nice hedges near Newtown, go take a look  :o   :rolleyes   :lol

They were part of a failed short cut programme. Nice to see you back Nick hope your well on the mend.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2015, 08:13:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys think i'll stick to a smaller area and have a chilled out few days.
Glad to see your on the mend nick all the best m8 :thumbup

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2015, 08:35:55 pm »
For a first trip to Wales, wanting to cover a small area of scenic beauty, I'd go for Snowdonia. But just remember, all those hills generate their own weather, so it can often be dull, wet and dreary there when the sun is shining to the south and east. Noggy's pics show that mid Wales has it's great scenery too, but I'd still say Snowdonia for your first visit, weather permitting.

Great scenery through the Llanberis Pass (can often be slow traffic though), with the visitor centre at the south end, Pen y Pass, could ride(?this a bike trip, or car?) up to Caernarfon with it's magnificent Edward I castle masterpiece. Not too far from Conwy for another impressive castle, or A5 down to Betws Y Coed is a lovely road past Tryfan; Betws is a bit touristy but good for fish n chip stop, great views (again, weather permitting) of the Snowdon Horseshoe just beyond Capel Curig headed west towards Pen y Pass (A4086). A470 from Betws to Ffestiniogg is another nice one. Horseshoe Pass further east and down to Llangollen with it's steam railway and motor museum (haven't actually visited the museum myself) and some great roads down from there to Bala, and another favourite of mine, the B4391 down through Llanfyllin.

Don't forget if time permits, Cadair Idris and Tal-y-Llyn off the A487 between Machynlleth and Dolgellau further south, and the A4212 between Bala and Trawsfynydd back up towards the north again - a brilliant road for bikes in good weather.

Plenty more too  :)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 May 2015, 08:39:12 pm »
for a short visit, the wisemans bridge inn, ;) great for 3 days,
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)