• Club Racer
  • Put down and piss off
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph ST Sprint 1050
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: 10 September 2014, 11:33:42 pm »
I have a 2001 Gen 1  :thumbup  and have been running Avon Storms 2 ultra's for sometime as I had them on my 2003 Fzs600, I put new rubber on in march and have done about 4500/5000 miles and have come to the end of my rear and just put another one on as the front has plenty of life in. The question is what do you run and what mileage do you get from yours. Cheers guys Stewie :D

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2014, 11:42:32 pm »
Ive just about finished a set of Maxxis Supermaxx on my Gen 1. got almost 2.5k out of the rear. average grip, pretty poor life - wont have them again.

Much prefer Michelin PR3's myself.

woodwizzard

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2014, 06:20:57 am »
Have a mich PR3 on the front and a mich PR4 on the rear. Only put about 800 miles on the rear so far, but am impressed already. 640 of those miles were motorway and half of that was in the wet (very), very secure feeling tyre and more grip than I will ever need, can't wait for the front to wear so I can get a PR4 on there.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2014, 07:41:06 am »
The question is what do you run and what mileage do you get from yours.
I find these threads problematical because they can be misleading, tyre wear rate depends on so many variables, the weight the bike has to take (rider weight / pillion use / frequency carrying luggage), the use the bike gets put to (commuting / scratching), the road surfaces the bike spends it's time on (smooth tarmac vs chippings) etc..

For instance If I said I get 3000 miles out of a rear Avon Storm 3D-XM (which I do) and someone comes along and posts that they get 4500 miles out of their BT023 rear people are likely to come away thinking that by changing from Avons to Bridgestones they will get a lot more life out of their tyres. The fact is that I got 2700 miles from the last BT023 I tried meaning in reality people using Bridgestones would likely get more tyre life by switching to Avons.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2014, 10:48:31 am »
The question is what do you run and what mileage do you get from yours.
I find these threads problematical because they can be misleading, tyre wear rate depends on so many variables, the weight the bike has to take (rider weight / pillion use / frequency carrying luggage), the use the bike gets put to (commuting / scratching), the road surfaces the bike spends it's time on (smooth tarmac vs chippings) etc..

For instance If I said I get 3000 miles out of a rear Avon Storm 3D-XM (which I do) and someone comes along and posts that they get 4500 miles out of their BT023 rear people are likely to come away thinking that by changing from Avons to Bridgestones they will get a lot more life out of their tyres. The fact is that I got 2700 miles from the last BT023 I tried meaning in reality people using Bridgestones would likely get more tyre life by switching to Avons.

Very good points made and I agree. I've had just about every popular sports touring tyre fitted in the last 8 years and over the same commuter route they all last about the same mileage before squaring off and starting to feel unstable - I now change tyres at around 8,000/9,000 miles before this happens.
 I'm on my third consecutive set of Z8s though and will stick with these because I like the feel of them and they are noticably better in the wet than any of the others I've tried.
 I'm tempting fate by also adding that the Z8s are the only tyres I've never had a puncture with, maybe the belts are more resistant to penetrating objects or something.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2014, 10:49:18 am by Simon.Pieman »

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2014, 02:12:11 pm »
I use T30's and get about 7k from a set. For comparison, I used to get about 6k from 023's and I ride the T30's harder because they are more fun. I can't praise the T30's highly enough but in fairness I can't compare them to anything other then the Dunlop qualifers that were on the Fazer when I got it, which weren't as good in grip or life as even the 023's.

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2014, 05:36:42 pm »
Still running 023's,  6k a set is about my mark mixed riding, some luggage + pillion. Less post Ivanising as I can't stop twisting the throttle!!

Are the T30's better with regard to grip and performance? :)

BW

Timbo

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2014, 03:25:31 pm »
I have tried various tyres of the years on both my Fazers, Storms take some beating .but they are pricey!