Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:53 am

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 641652 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!
« Reply #3725 on: 02 December 2020, 05:29:21 pm »

Aston Martin in row over 'sockpuppet PR firm' pushing anti-electric vehicle study

Aston Martin is at the centre of a climate lobbying controversy after a study co-commissioned by the company that cast doubt on the green credentials of electric vehicles was found to have been attributed to a PR company registered to the wife of a director at the luxury carmaker.

The study, which has since been widely debunked by experts, was presented as “groundbreaking” third-party research and appeared to show that electric cars would have to travel as far as 50,000 miles before matching the carbon footprint of a petrol model that has done 500,000 miles when you take battery manufacture into account.

After "Dieselgate", now this...!

I have corrected the original quote now.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: 28 December 2020, 04:06:03 pm »
What gets my goat - those people who plaster their cars in cameras filming the front and back and yet it is THEY who's driving is totally SH1 T :rolleyes
Was behind one the other day - crappy car, not flash or anything and in place of the rear view mirror was a bigger version but it was showing a split screen of the front camera and the back and then it would scroll through a full view of the back then front and back to split again, and then some text started scrolling down WTF ! surly that has to be illegal.
It was dark and this thing was so bright it was distracting me.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: 02 January 2021, 12:37:44 am »
And if you'd rear ended him you'd have been the biggest twat walking. :\
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
VAT on overseas goods sold to UK customers: Economic sucide
« Reply #3728 on: 08 January 2021, 10:41:26 am »
 So regarding the HMRC tax rule -
Who the actual Fuck! do the HMRC think they are? Clearly they are on some post brexit power trip and are suffering from delusions of grandeur. In what reality will ANY company (that isn't a large corp) or individual outside the UK pay UK tax, news flash they wont. It will be a case of, well fuck the UK then.   
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 10:44:04 am by b1k3rdude »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: 08 January 2021, 11:41:50 am »
So regarding the HMRC tax rule -
Who the actual Fuck! do the HMRC think they are? Clearly they are on some post brexit power trip and are suffering from delusions of grandeur. In what reality will ANY company (that isn't a large corp) or individual outside the UK pay UK tax, news flash they wont. It will be a case of, well fuck the UK then.   
I respectfully refer and remind you to the thread title What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS! Perhaps you would like to start a politics thread.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: 08 January 2021, 11:53:56 am »
I respectfully refer and remind you to the thread title What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS! Perhaps you would like to start a politics thread.

It's not politics just a statement of fact on just one of the many hidden consequences of your favorite typic, the B word enjoy  :lol :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 12:39:21 pm by Gnasher »
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: 08 January 2021, 12:35:18 pm »
It's not politics just a statement of fact on just one of the many hidden consequences of your favorite typic, the B word enjoy
Its not a topic about Brexit, but as Gnasher said yet another bloody consequence of it.

For example if you or I try to buy something (NOT off ebay/amazon), let say a motorcycle part that's over £135 from the US. That seller would then be faced with having to pay the UK vat on that which is bad enough, but also have to pay £1000-1500 per year for an accountant over here. The logical and right assumption will be the seller will say, er terrible sorry sir, but we cannot and will not sell anything to any UK buyers period. 

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: 08 January 2021, 01:00:04 pm »
but we cannot and will not sell anything to any UK buyers period.

Already happening and the same the other way around UK sellers into the EU or NI or Ireland getting hit with tariffs, M&S being only one of the big boys who've suspended sales  ;)

Apparently there's a get around but it's pertracted and probably beyond smaller business, added cost which make their products more expensive and possibly unviable.  It's one of the hundreds of things that still need negotiating :rolleyes  Fear not it's all oven ready :rolleyes :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 01:01:49 pm by Gnasher »
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: 08 January 2021, 01:13:01 pm »
Today's "What Gets My Goat" -NOT POLITICS NO POLITICS!Why do you have to contaminate every thread with your politics. Start a politics thread and I will see you there.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: 08 January 2021, 03:08:09 pm »
HMRC do what Ministers tell them to do. The government of the day decides tax policy. HMRC merely implement it.
The change in VAT rules is a direct consequence of withdrawal from the EU's Single Market and VAT harmonisation.
Those are not political statements, they are facts.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: 08 January 2021, 03:49:29 pm »
HMRC do what Ministers tell them to do. The government of the day decides tax policy. HMRC merely implement it.
The change in VAT rules is a direct consequence of withdrawal from the EU's Single Market and VAT harmonisation.
Those are not political statements, they are facts.

:agree   :)
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: 08 January 2021, 04:33:01 pm »
For example if you or I try to buy something (NOT off ebay/amazon), let say a motorcycle part that's over £135 from the US. That seller would then be faced with having to pay the UK vat on that which is bad enough, but also have to pay £1000-1500 per year for an accountant over here. The logical and right assumption will be the seller will say, er terrible sorry sir, but we cannot and will not sell anything to any UK buyers period.
As I've read it, it's the other way around. If the value of the individual package is under £135, then the EU (and non-EU) exporter is required to register for UK VAT, and charge you 20%. So you the UK customer doesn't have any more to pay. The problem is that the exporter is saying 'why should I bother to register for UK VAT, I'll just stop sending to UK'.
If the value is more than £135 then they do not charge VAT, but they do need to complete a Customs Declaration, and the VAT will be collected from you by the shipping company (Royal Mail etc) plus a handing fee. That's always been the case with imports from non EU countries, and now it applies to the EU as well. The only difference is that there are no Customs Duties to collect, as we have a Free Trade deal.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 04:34:27 pm by mtread »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: 08 January 2021, 05:44:57 pm »
Ah interesting, its not they made this shit is clear and easy to understand... that would be too much to ask for a little common sense.

So I guess one question is, if we buy fazer parts from the US, what charges will be still get hit with..? atm as I understand it, its a excise duty, import tax and vat?
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 06:51:18 pm by b1k3rdude »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: 08 January 2021, 06:03:29 pm »
Ah interesting, its not they made this shit is clear and easy to understand... that would be too much to ask for a little common sense.

So I guess one question is, if we bike fazer parts from the US, what charges will be still get hit with..? atm as I understand it, its a excise duty, import tax and vat?

Things from non EU country's haven't changed, it's just EU for imports into the UK.  Where there's a catch is UK sellers get hit by a tariff if the whole thing isn't supplied and made within the UK.  Anything that has parts supplied by or work done (I believe) by any non EU or UK, there is a tariff raised on the product, as it could well far cheaper and undercut any EU country.  That's how it's been since we were part of the EU, as part we where exempt as is any EU country trading with another EU country.  Now we're are non EU we have non EU tariffs to pay on any part/s which aren't made by us the UK, as the deal we have with the EU only covers us the UK, when trading with the EU. 

The other sting is this include NI as they're considered EU for trade  ;)

Welcome to Brexit   :rolleyes
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: 08 January 2021, 06:23:46 pm »
So I guess one question is, if we bike fazer parts from the US, what charges will be still get hit with..? atm as I understand it, its a excise duty, import tax and vat?
No Excise duties, unless your bike parts are bourbon  :lol  'Import tax' is otherwise known as 'Customs Duties', unless it is something that has a zero tariff.

Nothing has changed for US imports, apart from that for items less than £135, rather than do the above, the US business will need to register for UK VAT, just like an EU one.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: 08 January 2021, 06:28:38 pm »
Where there's a catch is UK sellers get hit by a tariff if the whole thing isn't supplied and made within the UK.  Anything that has parts supplied by or work done (I believe) by any non EU or UK, there is a tariff raised on the product, as it could well far cheaper and undercut any EU country.
I think they are still debating what proportion can be sourced from non UK parts. Otherwise Triumph Motorcycles are up shit street  :eek

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: 08 January 2021, 06:30:08 pm »
just waiting for a proper MOD to come along and delete these political posts from a thread that specifically says no Politics. Or move them to a political thread.   
Nothing political to see here...  :rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: 08 January 2021, 06:32:52 pm »
The other sting is this include NI as they're considered EU for trade 

Doesn't include NI for GB/NI VAT, as we're both in the same VAT system.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: 08 January 2021, 06:45:36 pm »
The other sting is this include NI as they're considered EU for trade 

Doesn't include NI for GB/NI VAT, as we're both in the same VAT system.

Oh yes it does, M&S and other retailers have stopped supplying online goods, check it out mate.  NI albeit part of the UK isn't treated as such for trade as the line is in the Irish Sea and they NI have seamless (pre Brexit) conditions to stop there being a physical border.  As far as NI is concerned trade wise they're still in the EU.   ;) 

As I mentioned earlier, apparently there is a get around but it complex at present and will prove difficult for small businesses, this is one of the areas that are still to be negotiated.   
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 06:49:06 pm by Gnasher »
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: 08 January 2021, 06:51:48 pm »
I think they are still debating what proportion can be sourced from non UK parts. Otherwise Triumph Motorcycles are up shit street  :eek

Yep, but this area is in with the hundreds of other areas of trade, the financial sector being one and the UK biggest contributor to our GDP.   
Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: 08 January 2021, 06:52:04 pm »
Oh yes it does, M&S and other retails have stopped supplying online goods, check it out mate.  NI albeit part of the UK isn't treated as such for trade as the line is in the Irish Sea and they NI have seamless (pre Brexit) conditions to stop there being a physical border.  As far as NI is concerned trade wise they're still in the EU.   

Well yes, but it doesn't mean there's any change to the VAT situation on GB /NI goods. It's more to do with paperwork and checks on origin and health (trust me)  :D

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: 08 January 2021, 06:54:54 pm »

Well yes, but it doesn't mean there's any change to the VAT situation on GB /NI goods. It's more to do with paperwork and checks on origin and health (trust me)  :D

They still have to pay tariffs if the whole thing isn't made in the UK, as well as the paperwork which is the same if sending goods to France, NI is as far as trade is concerned the EU  ;)
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: 08 January 2021, 06:55:40 pm »
just waiting for a proper MOD to come along.
You have been told what the post is about and what is isn't, any further posts like this will be removed.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: 08 January 2021, 06:56:47 pm »
Yep, but this area is in with the hundreds of other areas of trade, the financial sector being one and the UK biggest contributor to our GDP.
We will be negotiating with the EU for years to come. This isn't a divorce, we've just moved out and are arguing about the CDs  ;) [size=78%] [/size]

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: 08 January 2021, 07:02:13 pm »
We will be negotiating with the EU for years to come. This isn't a divorce, we've just moved out and are arguing about the CDs  ;)

Yep, just wait till pension investments cop it, via an EU tax hit or such like.  Many funds are invested in EU areas of trade and companies, any non EU investors I think could well be hit with a tax on dividends, which means less in the coffers.  Hopefully not but, I wouldn't put it past them now, neither would i blame them.   
Later