Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:58 am

Author Topic: weird lectrickle probs  (Read 1727 times)

Gazbo

• Cager in Training
  • I feel more like I do now than I did Yesterday
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
weird lectrickle probs
« on: 23 November 2014, 04:43:33 pm »
Hia Lads.
Was wondering if anyone else has had this, or maybe something similar? about 3 weeks ago, filled up, to roughly bottom of the neck, as usual. When climbing any hills, "fuel low" orange light  blink s5 times, stops, then repeats. this goes on, until the fuel is down to what I'd call - "not full", or I'm going downhill.
About 2 weeks ago, same thing again, but this time both time clock and trips were at zero when I got to work. I reset, and they seemed fine. Ok then for about a week or so.
This last week. Traveling along on the flat,  in traffic, at about 30mph, suddenly, lights extinguished, at same time, all 4 indicators came on - dimly. After  1 second of this, they returned to normal for about 1 second, then did the whole routine again. then - normal ops resumed, but the clock and trip had zeroed again.
Checked every visible connection, with seat / side panels off. Battery is new this year, has sparklingly clean  contacts, and all things are tight.
yanked all fuses. checked the sockets, sprayed them with servisol, as I did with everything else I've messed with.
Incidentally, whenever anything like this happens, the lump just carrries on purring away, oblivious to any faults.
This morning, seemed fine. was on dip, and flashed a guy out into the traffic. everything flickered, and the dips stayed off, until I let go of the flash trigger.
Normal again.
Tried it again. Normal. Unable to cause it to happen at will. Stripped handlebar switches off. checked everything. all looks clean, dry, fine. Servisol'led & replaced.
Nowt worse than a bloody intermittant - is there.

PS. the "everything flashing in sequence "-thing - seemed like the bike was trying to tell me something was knackered. Although I could be wrong - it seemed too accurately timed to be just a fault.
Can't see owt in the books about this.
Just don't want dead lecktrickery - She's gotta get me to work n back in the dark !
So - did anyone else suffer this (or similar) and if so - what was the fix?
Cheers in advance.
Gaz.
The Reaper Returns !

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
Re: weird lectrickle probs
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2014, 08:48:13 am »
Bad earth?
In the lighting circuit Inc. Flasher
Get the multimeter out....
Three lefts make a right

Gazbo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2014, 08:09:07 pm »
Aye - multimeter at the ready for this weekend. Since the last post ( not the army one !)  Taking notice of how/when it occurs, may have learned a bit more about it. It appears to happen, about 30 seconds into any journey, but after ticking over to warm up for maybe a minute or so. (I don't have to be riding, or even sat on it, for stuff to happen. I was thinking, could it be the plug on the fuel level sensor ( the only thing I ever unplugged, for tank removal, to vac the carbs. But that was about a year ogo ! (Checking that tomorrow - regardless). But ..... It seems to be happening  once the battery is once again full, after using the starter motor. (Filled up at the Shell "daylight robbery" station this morning. It had taken a dicky fit getting the lights to come on steady, after I started it at home, but then was fine, for the 3 mile run up to the petrol station. I filled to a good 1/2" below the neck, paid, started up, and switched on first sidelights.(fine). then onto dip. wallop ! No Lights. Indicators all lit fully(not flashing) for  about 3 seconds. But as I was stationary, I could now hear a buzz from somewhere on the bike. Not a short circuit buzz. more of a "relay can't make it's mind up" kind of fast buzz, similar to 50Hz buzz. This stopped and the lights came on as normal. I tried full beam. flasher, hazards, horn, brakes front & rear. All normal. So though balls to it, and set off for work. A mile later, lost all lights again, this time for a good 5-6 seconds. All dash lamps then go through the startup sequence, and back to normal, but the clock, and the trip had reset to zero again. Anyway, is there such a thing as a charge relay, or some such? if so, I would suspect that was sticking/faulty. Bike charges fine. All wiring/plugs I can find  seem ok. no green crap. nothing loose. Switchgear seems not to be faulty, and has been sprayed with Servisol. Ignition switch seems ok, although I did have a series of drop-outs last year, but that lost the engine too, and after servisol, and a good set of on-off-on-off cycles, it's been fine. I've sprayed it and done this again after my last post. But it doesn't seem to be the problem. PS. If I disconnect the fuel level sensor (Which may be at least oneof my  problems) what effect would that have on the other electronical gubbinzery ? coz I have a mind to temporarily kill it this w/end, and see if it sorts the other lighting probs out.  Don't ask me to Ohms it this weekend - me tank's full !!!

What would you rather bee or a wasp ?!?!?!
The Reaper Returns !

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2014, 12:12:58 am »
Disconnecting the fuel sensor shouldn't have any side effects apart from fuel gauge sitting at empty and the low fuel light might stay on. But it sounds like a major earthing problem somewhere

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2014, 11:01:08 am »
You might have some melty connector action going on. Try pulling the connectors in the box under the tank apart one at a time and inspect for them for burning. They can look ok when connected but be melted internally so you have to separate them to be sure. Start with the one coming from the ignition at that has a main power and ground in it.

solidstate

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2014, 11:06:50 am »
your fuel fillups and other exciting parameters being thrown in are not relevant

you have a connection/earthing problem here. you will need to pull out the wiring harness by removing the tank and working back from the lights/indicators , through the front end under the steering stem, into the black box under the tank, and under the frame to the battery. The harness isnt complicated, is easy to remove , clean/check, and refit. Check fuse box for continuity across the terminals with fuse(s) in-situ. Only by doing this are you going to sort this out.

The fuel etc. has got nothing to do with this.

Gazbo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2014, 12:36:16 pm »
Mornin top geezers.
Thankyou for all the inputs.
Tried the majority of these checks. No joy.
Then this morning, the silly buzzing/indicators trying to all light at once/no headlights - scenario reappeared.
Managed to narrow the buzz down to the headlight primary relay ! It was a sod, but I managed to ease it off it's mount, via removing the right hand fairing inner.
(Thought I was in for a full front end out job)
Anyway - about to test the relay. Methinks it might be screwed, as the wiring is A1. still buzzed in my hand, whilst wiggling the contacts.(Good job wife wasn't around ! LOL) Trouble is - bike is needed tomorrow for work. I May have a 12v relay somewhere in the depths of my workshop, which could get me away, till the Bikeshop is in range. Or perhaps a temp. manual switch between the bigger terminals - (Kind of Override switch instead of relay).
That's if this still buzzes whilst under test off the bike!
Knowing my luck - the bugger'll work now !
Will keep you posted lads - cheers.
The Reaper Returns !