Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:00 pm

Author Topic: Ideal location for a Cigarette Socket on a Boxeye  (Read 4855 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Ideal location for a Cigarette Socket on a Boxeye
« on: 10 June 2014, 10:03:48 pm »
Hiya fellas,

As per title, looking to fit an auxiliary power socket to my Boxeye.

I'm fine with the wiring side, just curious where others of you have fitted yours - don't particularly want mine facing upwards due to rain etc.

All suggestions (especially pics) as always welcome

Cheers in advance fellas  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Re: Ideal location for a Cigarette Socket on a Boxeye
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2014, 10:32:16 pm »
Also contemplated this one, always wondered if there's room on the vertical part of the infills, or whether it fouls the headlight cluster. Anyone tried this?

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2014, 11:02:27 pm »
I've got a twin one on mine, wired up and 'loose' under the seat. Waterproof lids over the sockets, seems absolutely fine! Obviously not accessible on the move, but if you want it for sat nav, set it up first and if you get a decent length cable, it's fine!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2014, 11:14:22 pm »
I've got a twin one on mine, wired up and 'loose' under the seat. Waterproof lids over the sockets, seems absolutely fine! Obviously not accessible on the move, but if you want it for sat nav, set it up first and if you get a decent length cable, it's fine!
+1  cable fits nicely under tank comes out at steering yoke.

May post a pic tomorrow. Since we like pics
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Albert Herring

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2014, 02:56:09 pm »
Another vote for lft fairing infill panel (mine's a touch further to the rear than Fizzy Pies').

My barn-find of a bike lives outside and gets wet a lot, and it did corrode the terminals a bit despite the same "MARINE USE" cover which I may not have always have bothered doing up, but still works after I  cleaned it up a bit. Mostly used for charging phone in tank bag.

(I also had it on an unswitched connection for the first 18 months it was fitted, so if it got damp it was able to happily electrolyse away while parked up. Never caught fire or flattened the battery or owt like that, though)

wutangbuzz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2014, 12:32:47 am »
I agree I fitted mine on the infil panel on the left. Mine comes with an attached rubber cap which fits very snuggly. I'm thinking if fitting on on the other side too now. Never had a problem with the rain but I'm a tart and only go out if the weather man let's me.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2014, 12:53:30 am »
I didn't like the idea of cutting in to the fairing infill but fizzies does look a neat job. So may be I shall follow :)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

wutangbuzz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2014, 12:59:12 am »
Mine looks like it was factory fitted! Seriously its easy. It was a 28mm drill bit. I just took the infil off the bike and drilled it slowly with a battery drill onto a piece of wood. Very easy job to do.

wutangbuzz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2014, 01:00:09 am »
Just lift the tank though so you can follow the rest of the wiring so it keeps everything neat and secure

wutangbuzz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2014, 01:07:33 am »
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331203312598&alt=web

This is what I fitted the rubber cap is awesome but it wasn't bogof when I got mine...bastards.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2014, 09:33:41 am »
Mine's under my seat as I didn't want to drill holes. But I'm very tempted after seeing Fizzy's pic.

What do you guys use yours for? I fitted mine for a small air compressor (that I've not needed yet!). Do you use yours for sat nav? If you do, how distracting is it?

Albert Herring

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2014, 09:34:46 am »
Just used one of those hole saws with a central drill bit, looks perfectly neat since the edges are covered anyway and took about 10 seconds. Admittedly, the infill was already a bit knackered so I didn't worry too much that I might need to replace it if I focced it up.

Only thing I might do differently (if you don't actually need full-on 12V supply) would be to consider getting one of the kits that just provides a USB socket instead, if you just want to charge phones, or a satnav that uses a compatible bit of wire. I can count the number of times that mine has been used for anything other than a USB adaptor on the fingers of one foot.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2014, 10:33:08 am »
I've got a female cigarette lighter socket in the storage space under the seat, wired to the ignition circuit. This has a male 12V-to-USB plug with a long USB lead that goes under the tank and is screwed onto the dash.  I use this to power my iPhone Satnav.  I've never needed to use the actual cigarette lighter socket but if I did it's there under the seat.  I don't worry about the waterproof aspect as the plug is practically hidden.  Cost about £6 in parts.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2014, 12:04:41 pm »
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331203312598&alt=web

This is what I fitted the rubber cap is awesome but it wasn't bogof when I got mine...bastards.

Bought above - cheers for the link fella :thumbup Bogof is always a winner, one for each bike  :D

Going to fit mine under the seat as mentioned by some. I know the seal will hold up when not in use if I fit it to the infill panel but if I'm using it when it's raining then to me it's a given that the water will run into the socket - plus a bit more flappy cable hanging about than if it comes under the tank and up the yolk.

Cheers for all the advice fellas, much appreciated  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

wutangbuzz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2014, 08:19:22 pm »
I considered getting the USB one but I opted for the cigarette style then got an adapter socket for USB. That was I can use it for my sat nav etc then I have a normal socket for my air bed pump too. Can't believe they don't come standard to be honest especially on modern bikes cos nobody has a phone that'll last a day anymore

Blisteredfingerz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 June 2014, 09:44:46 pm »
I put mine under the seat. Good protection and wires from devices are so thin they tuck along the channel between tank and frame. Wiring route for socket is easy as its only 1 foot away from battery and is as discreet as it gets. Can charge your phone under your seat too.  I use an adapter off ebay that plugs in giving one socket plus two USB sockets. Though the socket is waterproof with the cap on, I was worried that when a device was plugged into it then water could then get into the socket, Especially if mounted facing upwards. 

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2014, 10:20:50 pm »
Mine just like Fizzypies photo and had no problems. Took live wire straight from battery and fitted an in-line fuse just to be on safe side.

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2014, 01:12:31 am »
Got 2 on mine, one under the seat and one on the infill for the fairing, left hand side (02 foxeye) that has a rubber waterproof cover, it might be worth adding in a relay too, so that there is only power to the sockets when the ignition is on, I did the same with a relay for the heated grips too so no one could switch them on while I was away from the bike and flatten the battery, same with the sockets, you don't want any little tyke shoving anything in the socket while it's live.

I've ordered a twin socket, one cig socket and one twin usb in one unit, perfect for sat nav and mobile phone charging etc on the go :-)