Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:08 pm

Author Topic: Bike starts ok but after 1KM it cuts out  (Read 1027 times)

mesologgi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Bike starts ok but after 1KM it cuts out
« on: 28 June 2023, 08:30:51 am »
Hello, i have been silently reading many posts this past year since i bought my FZS600 and this forum really helped me a lot.
So i will try to describe my problem. I transformed an old but in good condition bike to a cafe racer. The bike had 40k KM on the clocks. I changed oil, sparkplugs etc. Did a complete service. The bike was working perfectly before and after the service, i even put some fuel cleaner suggested in this forum to clean the carbs even though they didnt have any problem. Then i synced the carbs myself.

I did 700KM since then without any problems. I only ride at weekends.

1 week ago i intalled some "dog bones" to make the bike higher up by 40mm. It transformed the bike riding wise. I did a quick 5 minute run around the block and was so happy. I am not sure if that did something to the bike but since then it all started.

Then at  night i decided to do a ride and after 1 km of riding my bike turned off at a traffic light. This never happened before... I quickly pressed the starter and it fired up ok. Then after 50 meter when i opened the throttle the bike was misbehaving. Like it was out of fuel or something even though it had half tank inside. I thought it will pass and after another 100 meter the bike cut off. like i turned the ignition off. Pressed the starter 20 times and the bike was not turning on. Waited 20 minutes trying to see if something was moved and i tried again.

The bike turned on ok and the throttle was responsive. Then after 100m it cut off again. And was not starting..
After many many attempts when it started i had to open full throttle with first gear and the bike was running at 10km like it only used 1 cylinder.. and when it reached 6k rpm it all cylinder fired up like crazy and then when i had to brake it turned off again.. and i had to do this 100 times until i got back home.

I visited a mechanic today but i m asking here if some of you have any ideas so i wont be ripped off.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

mesologgi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Bike starts ok but after 1KM it cuts out
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2023, 08:35:41 am »
And a couple of photos from the bike.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2023, 08:59:20 am »
Could be a blocked tank breather. Open the fuel cap and try again. You will need two keys as you cannot remove the key while the cap is open. Is the pump clicking when you turn on the ignition or when the problem occurs?

mesologgi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2023, 11:08:33 am »
Could be a blocked tank breather. Open the fuel cap and try again. You will need two keys as you cannot remove the key while the cap is open. Is the pump clicking when you turn on the ignition or when the problem occurs?

Sadly the bike is already in the machanic so i cant do much. Your idea seems reasonable. Maybe the breather got stuck or so when i rise the bike.. The fuel pump clicks every time so i am sure it works.

I am asking for ideas so that i will be ready when he calls me back in case he tells me something extreme..

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2023, 12:49:39 pm »
Check the breather pipe underneath the fuel tank isn't kinked or squashed which could cause a vacuum lock in the tank.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2023, 11:14:14 pm »
Could also be a blocked fuel filter.
Sounds like the bike is getting some fuel but not enough. Especially as it starts after a while but then cuts out again after a short distance.
Points to fuel starvation

Check out what Grahamm suggested the breather pipe could have been kinked when re fitting the fuel tank, or its is perished and has collapsed
« Last Edit: 28 June 2023, 11:16:23 pm by tommyardin »

mesologgi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2023, 11:46:04 am »
Thank you guys. I will pass by my mechanic today and update you!

mesologgi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2023, 11:52:06 am »
Here is the update. The fuel line was already very tight and it was chocking... probably happened when i installed the jack up kit and it moved a bit.

Also for anyone not from the UK interested in a jack up kit for our model i installed a V strom DL650 one. It was plug and play!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2023, 09:44:17 pm »
Glad you got it sorted out :thumbup

basher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2023, 10:34:40 pm »
yeah was about to comment sounds like a fuel issue, glad it was an easy fix. nice looking bike

mesologgi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2023, 11:52:28 am »
yeah was about to comment sounds like a fuel issue, glad it was an easy fix. nice looking bike

Thank you! This forum helped me alot with the wiring and some common problems. Maybe i will make a new thread with the procedure. I had a lot of free time for 6 months and me and my best friend build it from scratch with minimum budget on our garage. It was a so fun as i had no prior experience with motors.