Date: 28-04-24  Time: 15:02 pm

Author Topic: Spark plug noises...  (Read 5541 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Re: Spark plug noises...
« Reply #25 on: 09 June 2015, 10:53:47 pm »
might give it a go......if it was the cam chain tensioner however would the timing not be out once i had manually wound it over 10-15 times....???

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2015, 09:07:13 am »
OK so, Sinto i read the link you posted and Unfazed makes some good points in his post, one thing i cannot explain is why the timing would be seemingly perfect yet their be an issue with the CCT, one point raised in that post is that loose tappets can cause the noise as well...i shall check them and also may as well look at valve clearnaces if i am stripping it down again.....i cannot fathom why the gasket would cause the issue especially in light of the timing staying in sync whilst manually winding it on a number of cycles...

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2015, 10:44:21 am »
Sounds like cam chain to me.

You can sometimes get the tensioner to move up a notch if - WITH IGNITION OFF - you select 2nd gear, clutch in, go backwards as fast you can then just dump the clutch. This moved mine up a notch on the tensioner and quietened it down. Worth a go fella, good luck fella  :thumbup

I'd give this a go first, what have you to lose? It's just pushing it backwards then letting out the clutch, you might save yourself some hassle,  then I'd look at stripping it back down.
I can't fathom it out either, I've not stripped down any type of engines in years so I'd rather not suggest the wrong thing to you.
I was thinking that the gasket you were talking about must be there or the oil would just come out, so it does need a seal of some sorts.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2015, 10:52:50 am »
yep - need the gasket.....and with it in timing is 100%

Before i strip it again i shall pop the tank back on - leave it running for a bit, top the oil up just in case, and then try Frosties idea...

In reality it revs lovvely, just this noise, i might just bleed the brakes and then ride it over to the local mechanics as they might know what it is straight away...

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 June 2015, 01:39:40 pm »
OK so been starting it up this morning some more - at one point left an ignition coil off and thought it was buggered....then it stalled....fuel tap closed...

So after now ending up where i started, the ticking is still there and a little annoying but 90% gone when running....so for now i will focus on getting it on the road and MOT'd

if anyone can correct me - IF the chain or tensioner had an issue, would the timing be perfect...

Cheers

Pickle

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11 June 2015, 11:51:35 pm »
Yes, your tensioner could be faulty/not set quite right and your timing still correct as the tensioner tensions the slack side of the chain not the side that is being driven. So your timing can be fine, the bike runs well but is noisy because the slack side of the chain isn't having its slack taken up properly. Way too much slack, much more than is necessary to make a noise and then the chain will jump a tooth and throw the timing out. But to reiterate, yes the timing can be 100% but noisy at the same time. Obviously if the chain is badly stretched then your timing will be slightly out but not enough that you would notice in terms of performance. I think you are putting too much emphasis on the fact that your timing is correct. This isn't the problem here.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 June 2015, 12:07:44 am »
ah now that makes sense

thanks for that....

most likely its stick between clicks especially makes sense with the new gasket

Pickle

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 June 2015, 07:24:57 am »
I'd try Frostie's suggestion to see if you can get another click on the tensioner. On the Yam TDM some owners did a mod where they fitted a bolt and locking nut to the tensioner to manually adjust it because it was a bugbear. Don't know I this can be done on the fazer engine though.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 June 2015, 11:45:24 am »
Manual adjusters on ebay.