Date: 18-05-24  Time: 19:46 pm

Author Topic: Rattle and buzz  (Read 696 times)

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
Rattle and buzz
« on: 04 July 2016, 11:30:56 am »
I have had a rattle develop slowly over the last few months that has become quite an annoying buzz at around 4k revs. I had thought it was probably the belly pan so this weekend I finally decided to do something about it. It turns out it wasn't the belly pan.  :(

I had noticed before that the clamp holding the end can to the exhaust box was a bit lose but the last time I looked at it, the retaining nut was slipping so I couldn't tighten it properly. This time, the can itself had a bit more movement in it then I was comfortable with so I decided to take it off and see what I could do. It turns out that the aluminium bracket the can hangs off was rotting. The threaded steel bolt that went through the bracket was acting like a file and turning the nice neat hole into a white powdery mess. I put a plastic sleeve over the bolt and ground out the hanger hole to fit. I then cut off and replaced the bolt holding the clamp and it is fitted again nice and snug and no more buzz. However, I know that the rot has set in and it can not last very much longer. Maybe two months, maybe two years but it will loosen up again and I don't think I will be able to fix it properly next time. Any ideas?