Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:57 am

Author Topic: Topbox Lights  (Read 2630 times)

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Topbox Lights
« on: 30 September 2012, 04:36:42 pm »

Topbox lights

I fitted a Givi E370 (39 litre) topbox a while back and fitted some RED LED lights to it.  Here's the rack + topbox fitted to a renntec rack.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1880.msg14108.html#msg14108

The Fazer 1000 rack appears stronger than other renntec racks as it is held on by 4 bolts from the grab rails,  the ones that seem to fail quickly are those that connect to the two bolt grab rail setups, time will tell in my case though.

So - i wanted to have some LEDs installed in the reflectors and using the topbox as extra brake lights seemed a straight forward idea.  Luckily this chap on YouTube gave me the ideas:

Givi E370 LED mod test run - rear view

The flexible strip LEDs work well for this application.

<< See photos of the LED strips, how they can be cut to length and soldered >>

The top box reflector panels can be removed by undoing the internal screws.  This gives you a nice surface to stick on the LED strips,  they come with a sticky tape backing so all you have to do is unpeel the back and position where you want.   I did 3 rows of LEDs but i could of gone for 4 or 5 rows.  The LEDs use such a small current draw you don't need to be concerned with stressing any electric circuit.  See the image where i layed out the stips on the topbox.  As you can only cut the LED strips at the cut points (about every 5 cm or so) you do have a lot of flexibility with the mounting.   I decided to keep the white plastic inserts as i thought it helped reflect the light better, but they can be removed should you wish.

<< see photo of the topbox with the reflector panels removed >>

On each LED strip solder on a length of wire (make it 1m long to give you flexibility) and you'll need to drill some small holes to allow the wires from the strips to be routed into the inside of the topbox lid. 

Once the wires are inside you can join them together so that you have a common (single wire) -ve wire and i had two +ve wires as one was for the strips that come on with ignition and the other wire will go to the break light circuit so those LEDs come on with the brake lights. 

<< see photo of the topbox with LEDs layed out >>

I drilled a hole in the bottom corner of the box as this is where my 3 wires exited  I then used some bullet connectors to let me connect to the wiring on the bike, and allow the topbox to be removed.  I wired up the common -ve and ignition +ve to my fuseblock so that circuit goes on with the lights/ignition.  I did have to tap a wire into the rear connector for the brake lights, so i had a wire that went +12V when the brake lights came on,  this will power my brake lights on the topbox.   If you see the photo of the rear of the bike with the panels removed you'll see the connector i went to,  just use a multimeter to test each wire from battery -ve to see which goes +12v when you activate the brake lights, then you can tap into that circuit. 

<< see the photo of the inside of the topbox lid with the wiring inside, and photo of wiring exiting in the bottom corner >>

I made the hole in the bottom of the box waterproof with a dab of silicon sealant and that's about it.  If i was being fancy i would have ran in power for an accessory socket in the topbox, then i could charge the phone on a USB connector or something.  I maybe could have also wired up a white LED strip inside the topbox so i can see what's in there when i open the box, this would just be a small strip that comes on with ignition.  In the darkness being able to see stuff in the box would be useful.

I've not had any problems with the wires catching etc inside the box,  i could have made it neater by using thinner wiring (LEDs drw next to no current so use thin wiring) and heat shrinked all of the wiring to tidy it up more.   I did leave a little bit of slack where the wiring goes past the hinge,  you'll need some flexibility to allow the lid to open/close. I taped up the wires to protect them more when they move. 

I also put some LEDs in the central reflector.  I wired mine up so that 2 rows on each side come on with the ignition and one row (each side) and the central reflector come on with the brake light.  You could have these wired up to indicators etc etc.

<< see photo of rear of bike,  with ignition on, then with the brake lights on >>

I hope this give you some ideas as to what you can do with these little LED strips,   i commute all year round on the bike so with the dark evenings coming soon this is a good safety mod in my eyes. 
« Last Edit: 30 September 2012, 05:31:52 pm by MightyClown »

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Topbox Lights
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2012, 04:56:35 pm »

I can't upload any photo's as i keep getting an error.   Maybe i've exceeded my daily limit or something.   I'll try to upload again tomorrow.

BryantWeaver

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2013, 07:13:58 am »

Topbox lights

I fitted a Givi E370 (39 litre) topbox a while back and fitted some RED led lighting to it.  Here's the rack + topbox fitted to a renntec rack.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1880.msg14108.html#msg14108

The Fazer 1000 rack appears stronger than other renntec racks as it is held on by 4 bolts from the grab rails,  the ones that seem to fail quickly are those that connect to the two bolt grab rail setups, time will tell in my case though.

So - i wanted to have some LEDs installed in the reflectors and using the topbox as extra brake lights seemed a straight forward idea.  Luckily this chap on YouTube gave me the ideas:

Givi E370 LED mod test run - rear view

The flexible strip LEDs work well for this application.

<< See photos of the LED strips, how they can be cut to length and soldered >>

The top box reflector panels can be removed by undoing the internal screws.  This gives you a nice surface to stick on the LED strips,  they come with a sticky tape backing so all you have to do is unpeel the back and position where you want.   I did 3 rows of LEDs but i could of gone for 4 or 5 rows.  The LEDs use such a small current draw you don't need to be concerned with stressing any electric circuit.  See the image where i layed out the stips on the topbox.  As you can only cut the LED strips at the cut points (about every 5 cm or so) you do have a lot of flexibility with the mounting.   I decided to keep the white plastic inserts as i thought it helped reflect the light better, but they can be removed should you wish.

<< see photo of the topbox with the reflector panels removed >>

On each LED strip solder on a length of wire (make it 1m long to give you flexibility) and you'll need to drill some small holes to allow the wires from the strips to be routed into the inside of the topbox lid. 

Once the wires are inside you can join them together so that you have a common (single wire) -ve wire and i had two +ve wires as one was for the strips that come on with ignition and the other wire will go to the break light circuit so those LEDs come on with the brake lights. 

<< see photo of the topbox with LEDs layed out >>

I drilled a hole in the bottom corner of the box as this is where my 3 wires exited  I then used some bullet connectors to let me connect to the wiring on the bike, and allow the topbox to be removed.  I wired up the common -ve and ignition +ve to my fuseblock so that circuit goes on with the lights/ignition.  I did have to tap a wire into the rear connector for the brake lights, so i had a wire that went +12V when the brake lights came on,  this will power my brake lights on the topbox.   If you see the photo of the rear of the bike with the panels removed you'll see the connector i went to,  just use a multimeter to test each wire from battery -ve to see which goes +12v when you activate the brake lights, then you can tap into that circuit. 

<< see the photo of the inside of the topbox lid with the wiring inside, and photo of wiring exiting in the bottom corner >>

I made the hole in the bottom of the box waterproof with a dab of silicon sealant and that's about it.  If i was being fancy i would have ran in power for an accessory socket in the topbox, then i could charge the phone on a USB connector or something.  I maybe could have also wired up a white LED strip inside the topbox so i can see what's in there when i open the box, this would just be a small strip that comes on with ignition.  In the darkness being able to see stuff in the box would be useful.

I've not had any problems with the wires catching etc inside the box,  i could have made it neater by using thinner wiring (LEDs drw next to no current so use thin wiring) and heat shrinked all of the wiring to tidy it up more.   I did leave a little bit of slack where the wiring goes past the hinge,  you'll need some flexibility to allow the lid to open/close. I taped up the wires to protect them more when they move. 

I also put some LEDs in the central reflector.  I wired mine up so that 2 rows on each side come on with the ignition and one row (each side) and the central reflector come on with the brake light.  You could have these wired up to indicators etc etc.

<< see photo of rear of bike,  with ignition on, then with the brake lights on >>

I hope this give you some ideas as to what you can do with these little LED strips,   i commute all year round on the bike so with the dark evenings coming soon this is a good safety mod in my eyes.

Lights looks awesome in the video but can you share small review about these lights? I am looking to get new ones so your experience will help me alot
« Last Edit: 23 July 2013, 05:34:36 pm by BryantWeaver »

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2013, 08:03:06 am »
there great ive got indicators in mine i can feel another mod coming on,great review to fella good job. :D

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2013, 05:47:40 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-rectangle-red-reflector-inbuilt-leds-additional-stop-and-tail-light-/151079552328?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item232d0b0548

« Last Edit: 23 July 2013, 05:49:05 pm by karlo »