Date: 19-04-24  Time: 18:36 pm

Author Topic: Exup Cable Repair (failed after 11 months)  (Read 2179 times)

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup Cable Repair (failed after 11 months)
« on: 05 June 2012, 03:17:41 pm »

I posted last year (in the old forum so can't find that post) and mentioned how i had Venhill repair the exup cables by replacing the inner cable.  Others cautioned that the repair wouldn't last as the "lugs" dont last due to the heat at the exup pulley. 

Well, i got 11 months or so out of them, and then one of the lugs failed and the wire came out of the screw insert in the lug.   So, while the guys at venhill can refurbish the cables at a fraction of the cost they don't seem to last.

Looks like i'm going to have to spend £130 on the yamaha items ....

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Re: Exup Cable Repair (failed after 11 months)
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2012, 03:54:44 pm »
Useful to know... Guess they might be 100+ quid for a reason?
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2012, 06:47:03 pm »
the reason why the replacement cables failed is because venhill solder the ends on,if you were to get the ends crimped on like yamaha do they would last longer.

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2012, 07:19:39 pm »
I haven't reached that situation (yet), but wouldn't it be worth you speaking to Venhill, with the objective of them finding you a far more reliable solution, and at lower cost than going to Yamaha? It coud benefit Venhill and their future customers, as well as yourself. Currently, they have a reputation for supplying short-life exup cables! Just my two-pennorth

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2012, 08:56:24 pm »

Try these.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120920611001?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649   OOPS looks like they sold, always worth a look on the bay, I found some for £15, perfect condition.

Tex
« Last Edit: 05 June 2012, 09:00:17 pm by tex »
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

wfbroddy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2012, 07:14:42 pm »
the wire came out of the screw insert in the lug......

Might be a daft question but do the cables have the screw lug at both ends or just one ?

if the other end was a normal moulded end why don't you suggest to Vernhill that the moulded end be at the exhaust end of the cable with the lug at the actuator end, which if its the heat thats causing the problem would sort that issue out ?

or have I missed something  :\

bowen93

• CBT Wobbler
  • level of weirdness i can achieve maxed out
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2012, 02:12:09 am »
sorry i bought that set of cables. and for what it is worth they were crushed and no good lol. i am trying to make a set now to find the pulley has a chunk missing out of it also so now i need one of those too :(
from the minute your born you are dying, so make the most of it and live life to the max