Date: 23-04-24  Time: 22:24 pm

Author Topic: Top Box (Givi E370)  (Read 2249 times)

MightyClown

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Top Box (Givi E370)
« on: 26 February 2012, 11:02:53 pm »

It's been a busy week (i've also repositioned the scotoiler but that's another post).

I've been thinking about a topbox for a while.  I would like to be able to carry a bag of shopping home and keep the helmet and gloves in when i leave the bike.  After a few googles i decided on the givi e370 (39 litre monolock).

Despite the topbox being for "scooters" it's very well made, double walled and as it weighs 4kg is a sturdy item.   I think it's one of the few monolock (cheaper than monokey models) items that is double walled.  The locking mechanism seems very sturdy and reminds me of my Samsonite suitcase with a very positive locking mechanism.

I have a Renntec sports rack and have seen numerous people fitting top boxes to them.  Now i know Renntec state something like a 5kg limit on their racks but looking at the rack design for the Fazer it has a double screw fixing attachment.  Many bikes have a single bolt either side.  I reckon the Fazer rack can take a lot more load than the 5kg quoted by Renntec.

So,  trying to fit and with the grabrail in place you can see the box is hanging off the back of the bike.  This seemed to place more strain on the rack and didn't seem very satisfactory.   15 mins later with a junior hacksaw and problem solved.  The box is mounted centre on the rack and i'm quite pleased with the result. 

I'll report back in 6 months to see how it all holds up.   I'll also fit some Red LEDs to the topbox to give me some bigger rear lights and bright brake lights.  Again i'll post back in a few weeks to see how that one goes.

(just been reading through the fork mod threads and i really should get that sorted at some point).

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Top Box (Givi E370)
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2012, 09:31:51 am »
you can find rubber grommets on ebay to block off the new holes in the rack or fill with silicone otherwise within a month rust will get under the finish and look well naff

nice bike btw
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2012, 08:28:44 pm »
I have one fitted to my fazer 1000 as well,had it on for nearly a year and it still looks new and works perfectly.I have a genuine fazer rack fitted and had to mess about with the base a bit till a got a secure fit.Mine is mostly used for butties and a drink on a ride out so weight limit has never been an issue but its seems to be quite sturdy.

Deswilson

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2012, 02:11:55 pm »
I went through 2 Rentec racks like that on my FZS600.  I think the box caught in the wind and with the constant vibrations up and down,  the racks cracked and split just after the bolts into the fairing.  I managed to spot it the first time before it came off while driving.  But the second time it went I was out on the road, luckily not with the top box on that day,  and the rack bounced down the road and just missed my mate who was following me.

After that I bought a proper GIVI rack.