Date: 23-04-24  Time: 22:56 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1600578 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8550 on: 25 February 2021, 04:55:17 pm »
I've spoke to him and he says he doesn't think that cover was removed but he isn't 100%. There are also 2 other mechanics that work there so could possibly have even been one of those
Call them now fella, be polite but very firm - they are 100% liable.

If the shop mech was the last person to touch the bike, it needs to go back there ASAP for a full check (and they can fucking collect it). They need to make sure there are no other fucking loose bolts that they cant be sure they did or didnt touch, FFS.

That simple ride could have ended extremely badly for you, and with the emergency services stretched as they the police would have then enquired as to why you were out on your bike...!!!
« Last Edit: 25 February 2021, 04:58:51 pm by b1k3rdude »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: 26 February 2021, 03:30:47 pm »
Dropped off the front pegs, gear and brake pedals and footrest hangers together with the clutch cover, at the powder coaters. Nice day to be out. :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: 26 February 2021, 03:53:20 pm »
Hope I am not tempting fate here but its one advantage of being anal about cleaning your bike and you get very personal and intimate  :eek with every nut and bolt and hopefully you spot things like that straight away.  Good that you heard it though. If I do some major work on my bike I like to ride for a while without my earplugs in so I can hear if anything if not right.

Took my gen 2 for the first time since autumn and when cleaning it down noticed my RHS upper engine bolt was loose and the crash bung flapping about. Never been off in my ownership. All engine bolts were then retorqued to spec (the rest seemed fine)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: 26 February 2021, 06:01:09 pm »
Seen it all now,I ordered oil & filter on line and it came today in a fucking cardboard box! it's called a lube cube and you push a perforated part of the box and pull this moody top out which is attached to a polythene bag of oil then pour it out.To be fair it did work ok with my lovely wife holding the funnel but it all seemed a bit cheap and cheerful to me,it's supposed to be good for the environment so I suppose we'd better get used to it. ;)
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: 26 February 2021, 06:22:27 pm »
Seen it all now,I ordered oil & filter on line and it came today in a fucking cardboard box! it's called a lube cube and you push a perforated part of the box and pull this moody top out which is attached to a polythene bag of oil then pour it out.To be fair it did work ok with my lovely wife holding the funnel but it all seemed a bit cheap and cheerful to me,it's supposed to be good for the environment so I suppose we'd better get used to it. ;)

Yeah my last lot of oil came like that. Found it a bit of a faff doing it on my own as you have to either keep the spout out of the box or just take the full bag out..  neither way works well with 1 hand while your holding a funnel 🙄
Tickles me anyway.... better for the planet, yeah unlike the 4litres of dead dinosaur inside of it 🤣

Anyway a continuation of my saga. The bike was collected last night and taken to the garage. I received a call from my mechanic this morning. He didn't go as far as admitting it was a fault from his end but I think he's happy to agree with my logic that they were the last people to touch it and it hasn't been ridden since. So anyway he has taken the cover off, fitted a new gasket, 3 new bolts then topped up the oil. He has then cleaned and degreased the whole bike for me (including some special tyre degreaser on the rear🤷‍♂️)
Now as a gesture of good will he is looking into the charging issue for me for free and if its something he can sort without parts then he's not going to charge me (although it's not in me to accept work for free so I will still pay him for collecting and dropping of the bike at least)
 So fingers crossed its something simple but seeing as the stator, rotor and battery are less than 9 months old and have only been used for probably 4 hrs max I can see it being something else expensive 🙈
« Last Edit: 26 February 2021, 06:51:37 pm by Dudeofrude »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: 26 February 2021, 07:39:50 pm »
Well some good news at last! Turned out to be a bent connector pin in the stator plug. It's been straightened out and now the bike is charging spot on... what a relief 😅

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: 26 February 2021, 11:05:55 pm »
Today I rode past a Co-op and a sainsburys and an Asda and an Aldi and a lidle and a waitrose also a tescos just to get to my nearest farm shop -- I was shopping and not testing my bike or taking parts to get painted or going for a first run of the year.  ;)       
« Last Edit: 26 February 2021, 11:07:44 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: 27 February 2021, 05:46:52 am »
Today I rode past a Co-op and a sainsburys and an Asda and an Aldi and a lidle and a waitrose also a tescos just to get to my nearest farm shop -- I was shopping and not testing my bike or taking parts to get painted or going for a first run of the year.  ;)     

First run, it's nearly March? Do you not ever use it to travel to work on?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: 27 February 2021, 04:15:17 pm »
Today I rode past a Co-op and a sainsburys and an Asda and an Aldi and a lidle and a waitrose also a tescos just to get to my nearest farm shop -- I was shopping and not testing my bike or taking parts to get painted or going for a first run of the year.     

Were you trying to find a Morrisons?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: 02 March 2021, 09:18:37 pm »
My rear Ohlins is due for a service. Darren at MCT would be my first choice, but obviously the current situation prevents riding that far. A pal put me on to a suspension guy fairly near me. Took it over this morning. The  guy turned out to be Jake Dixons crew chief. Top man. My shock service will be one of his last jobs before flying out next week to Qatar for the start of this seasons MotoGp.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: 03 March 2021, 05:42:52 pm »
Collected my serviced shock today.  Well impressed with a 24 hour turn around. Had a nice chat about racing with my new best mate :lol .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: 03 March 2021, 09:12:14 pm »
Collected my serviced shock today.  Well impressed with a 24 hour turn around. Had a nice chat about racing with my only mate :lol .

Sounds like a good relationship you've started.  :rollin :rollin :rollin .

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: 10 March 2021, 01:16:48 pm »
Reinstalled the shock and made a new bracket for the remote preload.

Stormbringer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Main bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: 11 March 2021, 03:19:04 pm »
A lot has happened in the last year. I have totally rebuilt the Fazer 8.I fitted a new clutch ,new exhaust studs ,new Yamaha  bodywork (Blue) anda Baglux blue tank cover ,Yamaha soft paniers, Yamaha Centre stand kit ,Ram mount for Garmin Zumo, Michelin tyres ,Yamaha chain and sprockets, uprated headlight bulbs ,  done the valve clearances  (needed 12 shims) overhauled the brakes including new fluid and pads .Fitted a new Black front Mud guard and Pyramid fender extender, lots of othger minor jobs .
Today I rode it to work (School).

[Edited to stop the text appearing in a tiny font! GrahamM - Moderator]
« Last Edit: 11 March 2021, 04:56:41 pm by Grahamm »
Over Land and Sea

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: 12 March 2021, 06:47:39 pm »
Booked my Fazer a holiday today. It’s taking me to Aragon for MotoGP in September, travel/COVID restrictions permitting.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8565 on: 13 March 2021, 08:02:07 pm »
Fitted new Throttle cables. Along with the new Clutch cable and the ultrasonically cleaned carbs, oil & filter change.
Carbs going back together this week, ready to be fitted next weekend.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: 14 March 2021, 10:15:54 am »
Are you changing the throttle cables just as a precaution, or have you had a problem with them.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: 14 March 2021, 11:31:49 am »
Are you changing the throttle cables just as a precaution, or have you had a problem with them.

One had started to fray, so, both are being changed.
Not sure of the history of the cables - I've had the bike 7 years and 40,000 miles, so to be on the safe side..........
The last thing I want is to be stuck somewhere waiting for recovery, when I could be riding. :D

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: 14 March 2021, 03:26:35 pm »
Getting stuck, abroad is a big worry. Mine are coming up for 38k, and might do them for peace of mind, although don't relish all the work necessary to gain access. I suppose it's impossible to change them without removing the carbs?.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: 15 March 2021, 07:53:53 pm »
So, last night, started to put the carbs back together. All was going well until I went to put the top and bottom through bolts in.
One was shorter than the other!

I took a look in carb #4, to see the remaining bit of snapped off bolt seized.

Simple fix - drill out the snapped bolt (carefully), drill out the good thread in the lower bolt hole with a clearance drill and fit some M6 threaded rod with dome nuts on.
I have placed some thin wall silicone tubing over the threaded portion which is in the carbs and spacers - this will reduce or eliminate any resonance (if there is any) caused by an unsupported rod in an enclosed tube.

These long bolts are no longer available, either from Fowlers or CMSNL in Holland. My fix came to £3.50 (ish!).

Next job, at the weekend, will be to start polishing the footrest hangers and heel guards - nearside first.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: 15 March 2021, 08:26:27 pm »
Fit some M6 threaded rod with dome nuts on. I have placed some thin wall silicone tubing over the threaded portion which is in the carbs and spacers - this will reduce or eliminate any resonance (if there is any) caused by an unsupported rod in an enclosed tube.
Nice work.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: 15 March 2021, 08:38:41 pm »
Very inventive, well done :thumbup . Collected my powder coating up today. They made a good job of the pegs, hangers and gearlever, brake lever. Got them back together and on the bike this afternoon. However the clutch cover didn't get done as they were unable to match the colour well enough. Will try an alternative firm tomorrow. Anyone in the Sussex/Surrey area that needs any bike related powder coating, bear Kirdford Shot Blasting in mind.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: 15 March 2021, 08:45:29 pm »
Fazer 1000's been stood 4yrs  :'(  life & lack of funds to complete the renovation, dug out the Exup valve & associated parts, Conical spring has been robbed by the "Spring Fairies" FFS
Anyone have any pics with dimensions of said spring? I may have summat knocking about I can mod to fit.

Thanks guys  :thumbup

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: 15 March 2021, 09:31:12 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: 15 March 2021, 09:37:20 pm by Gaz66 »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: 15 March 2021, 10:14:16 pm »
Anyone have any pics with dimensions of said spring? I may have summat knocking about I can mod to fit.
Are you talking about the little spring on the outside of the exup valve that takes up the slack?
« Last Edit: 15 March 2021, 10:15:26 pm by b1k3rdude »