Date: 29-03-24  Time: 02:22 am

Author Topic: Which Optimate?  (Read 769 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Which Optimate?
« on: 11 February 2021, 11:08:31 am »
Guys, I need to get another Optimate (current one is being used to keep my car alive) and there's a surprising number of different models now.

Presuming none of my vehicles have lithium batteries (3 bikes and 2 cars) newest being a 2016 but I checked and that has a lead acid type battery, which Optimate should I go for?

When I bought my current one there was only a choice of 6v or 12v so it was an easy decision to make.

I would need to use the new one on my FZ1S and a 2012 Audi so it has to do both - any recommendations?
« Last Edit: 11 February 2021, 11:23:40 am by Streetbudgie »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Which Optimate?
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2021, 12:56:49 pm »
My 2012 Audi has stop/start so needs a paticular type of standard charger. I have a standard optimate 2 or 3 for the FZS but also have one of these (well the previous version) that I use for the Tiger when its in the garage and charging the car/van as required.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-chargers/halfords-advanced-smart-battery-charger-plus-238350.html
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2021, 11:04:50 am »
No 4.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2021, 07:52:55 pm »
Guys, I need to get another Optimate (current one is being used to keep my car alive) and there's a surprising number of different models now.

Presuming none of my vehicles have lithium batteries (3 bikes and 2 cars) newest being a 2016 but I checked and that has a lead acid type battery, which Optimate should I go for?

When I bought my current one there was only a choice of 6v or 12v so it was an easy decision to make.

I would need to use the new one on my FZ1S and a 2012 Audi so it has to do both - any recommendations?

I bought their anniversary model about 12/18 mths ago ,I've found it perfect for keeping a charge over winter,don't know if you can get this model but it only had a couple of fancy features over the std one and both come with a lead to come off the battery and out under the seat so you can just cable tie it neatly to the frame and plug in and out instead of taking the seat on and off. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.