Date: 27-04-24  Time: 15:29 pm

Author Topic: Bike will not start when hot???  (Read 827 times)

Spike1306

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - BMW R1200GSA
    • View Profile
Bike will not start when hot???
« on: 12 July 2016, 03:40:57 pm »
Hi Guys

Over the last few days my bike has been struggling to start when hot,  turning over and over and nothing, tried full choke with full throttle and it started but today nothing.

Bike turned over and over I tried all sorts of combinations but nothing, whilst chatting to a mate I was all set to leave it when i said one more go and it started, no choke just straight away as soon as I touched the starter.

Bike has done 11K miles and 99 model,  so getting petrol as it stinks when turning over, I was thinking coil packs as I has a problem with a car once hot it would not restart, replaced them and it was fine.  So could this be the problem with the bike??

Thanks

One Life, Live it

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Bike will not start when hot???
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2016, 03:46:08 pm »
When its hot, DONT touch the choke. If you can, avoid touching the throttle too as this will make it too rich which causes the smell.

When was it last serviced? It could just be old plugs and restricted airflow through a dirty air filter causing the same problem.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Spike1306

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - BMW R1200GSA
    • View Profile
Re: Bike will not start when hot???
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2016, 08:19:21 am »
Thanks for the reply, thats the trouble nothing works to start it, You would expect the bike once ran and warm to start without the choke, but it does not it just turns over and over like it has no spark.

I bought the bike last year, I have changed the oil and filter but nothing more as it was running fine and all if a sudden this problem, starts fine any other time except when warm/hot.  Tried it this morning and yep first touch of the button and it fired up, with a bit of choke then turned the choke off once started and yep ran fine.

Going down the cheaper route of new plugs and filter like you say start cheap work my way up. Will strip it tonight and check things out

One Life, Live it