Date: 17-05-24  Time: 15:24 pm

Author Topic: Returning to the fold.... (Considering a Fazer 800)  (Read 5982 times)

Dan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - aka BusterDAN/BandanafZ1
    • View Profile
Returning to the fold.... (Considering a Fazer 800)
« on: 12 March 2013, 10:02:35 pm »
Hi all...

Blimey the forum has changed again.... go for a year or two and everything changes....

As some of you know I've been around for about 11 years... initially as a Hornet owning wannabe Foccer and then later I had a 2007 FZ1-N (great bike).

I now have a 2009 CB1000R but want something with a bit of wind protection for motorway use and a bit of european touring this year.

Now I know all about the FZ1 and found it super powerful but also very revvy, alot of the power was lost until you go in the higher revs.  How does the Fazer 800 compare engine wise? I'm also about 6' tall, is the screen very effective on motorways.

Any moans, groans or issues, I've not really followed the Fazer 8 so I have no idea how it stands up against the competition.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2013, 10:07:39 pm by Dan »

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to the fold.... (Considering a Fazer 800)
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2013, 01:39:52 pm »
Hi Dan

I've had a couple of Fazer thou's Gen 1 and they were great. However I have now moved to the 8 as it is lighter and lower C of G, so its easier for me to move around with a knackered back. After test riding loads of different bikes it was the one that put a big grin on my face. Not as much stonk as the thou, but plenty fast enough. Lots of torque, comfy seat and for me at 5'11" the most effective screen I've ever had.  I got a touring screen real chep on flea bay which I haven't put it on yet, but not really bothered as the standard is really good. I really like it and rate it the best creen I've had, but that is only a personal view.
I don't think MCN rated them but I think that was mainly due to the launch price.
You have to take one out. I did a 50 mile test ride on mine, but I had virtually made up my mind within the first 10 minutes having done a bit of town work then onto open road.
I love it, and bore my friends (and probably other forum members) by going on about how good I think it is  :)
I don't find the engine particularly revvy and with loads of torque you can run at 30mph in 6th gear no problem.
Doesn't come with a centre stand which is a pain but easily sorted. Fuel tank a bit small.
Take one out and see how you feel, let us know.  ;)
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2013, 02:50:17 pm »
Or try a newer fz1s with the remapped ecu (10 plate onwards I think). It has plenty of torque at the bottom end and really surprised me, more like an fazer thou but with better suspension. Miles better than the earlier fz1, and good wind protection too.

Just give it a try if you still desire the 150 bhp kick as well :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2013, 04:50:13 pm »
Or try a newer fz1s with the remapped ecu (10 plate onwards I think). It has plenty of torque at the bottom end and really surprised me, more like an fazer thou but with better suspension. Miles better than the earlier fz1, and good wind protection too.

Yeah.....have to admit it is good. I took that for along test ride as well, but came down to the Fazer8 mainly due to weight and handling when having to manhandle it around the driveway etc. It certainly is woth taking fz1s out as well, you've just gotto get on them and test ride. Being a bit ocd I made notes of all the good and bad points of the bikes I tested, ....but I left the last two rides for the fz1s and the fazer8.......waste of time for me making all the previous notes cos it just came down to grin factor and both of these scored the highest as soon as I got on them  :D
« Last Edit: 13 March 2013, 05:00:49 pm by sure2ride »

Dan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2013, 07:48:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply folks, much appreciated.... the thing that puts me off is the tank size and range.  At the moment the Suzuki Vstrom is top of my shopping list but I will look at a FZ8 as well.

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2013, 05:27:54 pm »
I think you'll find the V strom a completely different type of ride, it will be interesting to see how you find it, 650 or 1000?

Dan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2013, 09:28:21 pm »
Not tried one yet... need to sell my CB1000R first... it is in MCN now though..

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/CB1000R/2009/_/R-NXGN-7587730

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2013, 05:33:49 pm »
Nice looking bike.  Not a Fazer8 tho :)   You may find the 8 downsizing a bit too far. Dunno, but worth a test ride. Good luck in your hunt and hope you sell yours quickly.

Dan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2013, 07:51:13 pm »
Is there any talk of a new Fazer Thou yet?.... but surely be due now (the Gen2 has been out since 2006)

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2013, 06:00:47 am »
 :) Well as snow has stopped play, back on the forum, Fazer 8 now nicely run in and covered nearly 3,000 miles with a few longish runs and love it. Huge fun, obviously hasn't the top end of R1 and Fazer 1000, but just as economical and now recovered from my disastrous very short lived (3 months) affair with 2009 Gen 2 Fazer 1000 which was thirsty and threw in the towel when I asked it to carry some luggage to go to France, which the other bikes have done without complaint.
[/size][/color]Learn't to trust the stock Bridgestone 021's after years on Diablo's, though always had Bridgestone's on R6, found R1 loved Diablo's and Gren 1 Fazer 1000 was excellent on Angel ST.[/font]
[/size][/color]Next test for Fazer 8 is to carry replacement luggage and me to Somerset on 5th April so I can take part in a Rally covering 150 miles there 400 for the Rally, then return safely home.[/font]
[/size][/color]Had been thinking about doing the English National Rally again, but a friend recommended Somerset Advanced starting at Langport, so I am going to give it a go.[/font]
[/size][/color]According to forecast temperatures are going up and sun coming out for Easter! Yay[/font] :lol
[/size][/color][/font]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Dan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2013, 07:54:27 pm »
Hi all.... in the end I brought a second hand Triumph Tiger 800XC.... totally different riding experience but great fun! :)

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2013, 10:05:47 pm »

Yeah.....have to admit it is good. I took that for along test ride as well, but came down to the Fazer8 mainly due to weight and handling when having to manhandle it around the driveway etc. It certainly is woth taking fz1s out as well, you've just gotto get on them and test ride. Being a bit ocd I made notes of all the good and bad points of the bikes I tested, ....but I left the last two rides for the fz1s and the fazer8.......waste of time for me making all the previous notes cos it just came down to grin factor and both of these scored the highest as soon as I got on them  :D
The FZ8 & FZ1 are the same weight (220kgs wet)
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2013, 01:15:52 pm »
Yes sorry, I meant the weight between my old FZS1000 Fazer 231kg compared to the Fazer 8 ABS 220 (both wet). I felt the weight seemed lower down on the Fazer 8 making it easier for me to handle.
Apologies for misleading comment :o