Date: 18-05-24  Time: 14:26 pm

Author Topic: Brakes on, sidelights on...  (Read 1348 times)

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
Brakes on, sidelights on...
« on: 25 September 2014, 05:22:36 pm »
Noticed this yesterday, may have been happening for a while but i really dont know...
From my sidelight connector, i also have feed to some LED running lights.
If my lights are OFF... putting either the front or the rear brake on, the dash illuminates and my sidelights/LED's come on.  Release the brake and they go off.
If the lights are ON, then there are no adverse effects.  Brake lights still come on and off correctly.
Any recommendations of a good starting point to attack with the multimeter?

Cheers

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Brakes on, sidelights on...
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2014, 05:32:14 pm »
bad earth or the stop/tail bulb in pissed in the holder shorting out and finding a route to earth through the side lights.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2014, 06:54:10 pm »
yep, the LEDs offer little resistance to current trying to find earth; the normal bulb sidelight offers much more resistance and unlikely to find its way to earth.

or,   duhh .. you've wired the lights into the brake light or connected the LEDs into the circuit. The brake and aux light share the same common rail. Which wires (colours) have you tapped into and how. The earth on the LEDs should affix to a frame point !

Three lefts make a right

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2014, 12:30:49 pm »
Havent had a good look yet.  I think its a loose connection somewhere, as this morning it was doing it, then i briefly parked up (bumped front wheel into a kerb as i parked) and it stopped doing it, then after gettng rolling again, it started doing it again.
FYI - the LED aux lights, and the LED sidelights (no longer have the standard bulb in place) both connect in parallel to the pre-exising sidelight connector for +/- via a connector block, so i suspect something is loose there.

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2014, 09:51:58 am »
bad earth or the stop/tail bulb in pissed in the holder shorting out and finding a route to earth through the side lights.

Bang on the money, cheers!  Reseated tail bulbs, all is good again :)