Date: 09-05-24  Time: 09:33 am

Author Topic: After service and bike still not running correct  (Read 1364 times)

m_f_d_1970

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
After service and bike still not running correct
« on: 26 January 2014, 04:34:03 pm »
I am the newest owner of a FZS600.

Since buying I have had to rebuild all the back breaking system as it started to fail on me. That sorted, I gave it a service, oil filter, air filter, new oil and plugs and it still sounds and starts like a bag of nails.

I am thinking that carb balancing will do the trick. Any one have any other ideas?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: After service and bike still not running correct
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2014, 04:43:53 pm »
Yep...balance the carbs, now that its been serviced its the right time to do it  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

m_f_d_1970

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2014, 05:46:56 pm »
Will give it a go. Will book in with garage tomorrow as not too clever with that sort of thing :-)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2014, 06:08:05 pm »
Doing the carbs is easy mate. There is a really good thread on here and also a tutorial on youtube. I bought a morgan carbtune and did mine a few months back. It runs better and I get about 10mpg more!!! Over a few months the carbtune is paid for. If you are near Glasgow you can come by and I will help you.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

m_f_d_1970

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2014, 06:30:41 pm »
I have tackled several things on bikes, clutch changes on 125's upto turning a BMW R 100 RT tourer in to a naked version. All superficial stuff (apart from clutch changes on small bikes) well away from engine and carbs on the bigger bikes. Should really get to grips with balancing but so much easier to give my local garage £40 and get it done every once in a while :-) hoping the balancing will sort the problem. And I'm in Plymouth south west but cheers for offer buddy.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2014, 07:54:03 pm »
Did it sound like a bag of nails before you serviced it?

I would start with the basics,
  • [size=78%]Is the air filter fitted properly and intake to airbox clear? [/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]Are the plugs fitted correctly and are they the right heat range? [/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]When you pulled the plug caps of the plugs you may have loosened the HT to plug connection[/size]
  • [/size]Did you change the fuel filter, is the fuel flowing from the tap etc[size=78%]
  • [/size]is the choke sticking on[size=78%]
  • [/size]all your electrical connections are clean and sound (including earths)[size=78%]
  • [/size]If the bike has stood awhile the carbs might need stripping and cleaning plus seals/gaskets/jets changing

m_f_d_1970

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2014, 10:02:47 pm »
Phew. A lot of points. I'm not expert but all of the above seem to be ok. I'm not a mechanic but have a mechanical way of thinking. The last point brings about some questions as the bike was a fair weather bike. Only out in the dry and at weekends so stood up for fair amounts of time which is where I think i had problems with rear brakes. I will get the carbs balanced and if problems persist, I may have to think of your final point on the list. Thanks for your help