Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:35 am

Author Topic: Flat Battery - ABS warning light on  (Read 5490 times)

Trossman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - RSV Mille
    • View Profile
Flat Battery - ABS warning light on
« on: 10 April 2013, 09:04:10 am »
After only riding my 2008 FZ1 a couple of times over the winter, I went to start it after having new tyres fitted and found the battery flat.   :'(

After bump starting it for the ride home I found the red ABS warning light had come on and stayed on until I switched the motor off at home.   :eek

Will be replacing the battery today and am wondering wether the ABS light came on as a result of a not fully charged battery or wether there actually is a fault with the ABS.   :(

Anyone got any idea please?
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Battery - ABS warning light on
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2013, 10:27:13 am »
I'm not really up on the FZ1 models as i have a gen 1 but it sounds to me as if it could be either the battery having been flat or the fact that you have had new tires fitted. I'm guessing its either a fault code warning that has been flagged up due to the flat battery or an ABS sensor that has been disturbed when the wheels were refitted after having the new tires. I'm doubting that it is an actual fault with the ABS. On most modern cars there will be a warning light that comes on if you remove and refit a battery or if the battery goes flat. On a 350Z i used to own it was the engine management light that came on and with the MRS MX5 its the stability control light that illuminates. You have to go through a strange ritual to get the lights to go out on both cars and i'm guessing it would be the same for your FZ1 if its down to the fact you have had the flat battery. If its a dislodged sensor then it may just be a case of checking all around your wheels and making sure everything looks aligned. There may even be a sensor that has not been plugged back in. Process of elimination i guess. Sorry to sound so vague but i'm sure someone will be along in a minute that owns an FZ1 and has had a similar problem.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2013, 10:39:05 am »
I just did a quick internet search and it seems that if the light is constant then it could be due to a total disconnect or corrosion on the connectors fooling the bike into the fact that the sensor has been disconnected. Do you store the bike outside where it could have had damp start eating away at it ?

If the light is flashing then it could actually be an ABS fault or just a dodgy sensor. It seems like a lot of owners have had issues with faulty sensors.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Trossman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - RSV Mille
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2013, 02:18:14 pm »
Do you store the bike outside where it could have had damp start eating away at it ?

Bike lovingly kept in garage about 3 metres from central heating boiler, under a woolly blanket! Car kept outside where the damp HAS started eating away at it (who cares!!)
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible

RedRag

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2013, 10:53:47 pm »
Mine comes on when I lube the chain on the main stand or run through the gears if left standing for awhile. It tends to go out once the ignition is turned off then on again and the battery is fully  charged so hopefully you will findi it back to normal once you put a fresh battery in. It might even have been just the bump start - good luck

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2013, 08:04:51 am »
Happened to mine when I had a dying/dead battery - basically the computer in the Bike turns off all "non essentials" which includes ABS (how the AA guy explained it to me)

As soon as I put the new battery in, ABS light went off and has been fine since (has saved my bacon once)