Date: 20-04-24  Time: 04:42 am

Author Topic: Sad time  (Read 7256 times)

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Sad time
« on: 27 November 2012, 12:32:55 am »
It's come to the point that having reached 54 years old, I'm getting rid of my beloved Gen 1. It's tatty as hell, battered tank, as it's been a scrote magnet and been hit over while at a standstill a few times. Engine paint affected by salt, split in the seat. 61k miles, engine sound as a pound though. Always serviced by me, don't trust stealers. Decent BT023's, recentish brake pads (Carbon Lorraine A3+). was used day in day out for 66 mile round trip to Bridgend and back until I was on sick for a while. Got a car now and resigned to not having another bike, can't be doing with turning up for work in the winter not being able to feel my hands. It's on a 54 plate, reg'd 2/11/04, mine since then. Would make a great project or winter hack. I'll take 1100 for it and will have a tear in my eye if and when it goes. Located a few miles from Newport in south Wales. One of the triangular plastic bits under the seat is cracked, as is the fairing. Top of the range DID chain fitted with new sprockets I've got a spare tank, on the way to being prepped for spraying the right blue (it's deep purplish blue metallic), it has a Pyramid hugger plus a spare carbon look one, R6 shock mod, still got the original. Ivanised (SO version, fitted by Mike in 2005). AIS has been removed. Renthal bars, clutch lever is a bit of a botch as I keep getting sent the wrong ones, but works OK. I've also got a new genuine Yamaha oil filter to throw in and another screen (has a blue iridium one fitted). I have some decent quality clothing as well but that's not part of any deal. Pics available on request. Oh, MOT'd till April, currently on SORN.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Sad time
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2012, 12:40:11 pm »
Not worth getting rid of really. Leave it in the shed until sping and you will get another cheap 6 months of fun and cheap commute before you have to think about selling it again or buying warmer gloves.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2012, 01:29:51 pm »
I agree with PaulSmith....if its as tatty as you say it is with that kind of mileage its probably worth keeping for weekend blasts. The bike itself is not that old but the condition you have descibed is not selling it well as it sounds like winter project or even a winter hack, although at £1,100 it is priced per condition I think.....maybe best posting some pictures

jools

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2012, 06:21:05 pm »
An other option would be to strip it for parts and sell it like that on her or Ebay.
It might take longer but you might make more money that way.
there as some good parts on it still.
jools

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2012, 10:07:05 am »
Keep the bike for fun. I am 55 years old and only now ride when I feel like it but I am still doing 3000 miles a year.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2012, 11:04:09 pm »
Are you kidding,  :eek  I'm 56 and have absolutely no intention of giving up the best freedom you can have, despite a dodgy leg and shoulder.
As long as I can push it out of the garage and throw my leg over it :)

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2012, 08:21:19 am »
sell it and go down the british legion and have a pint
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2012, 05:45:58 pm »
My dad only passsed his test 3 yrs ago when he was 63 he now has a GSX1250F and so far has done about 6000 a year so theres is hope for everyone!! :)

tiggr2

• DAS Born Again
  • If it aint broke make it faster
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2012, 05:56:40 pm »
Its the bikers equivalent of an old pair of shoes, looks like crap but the best you will ever have - keep her she owes you nothing and theres always another sunny day..
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2012, 08:06:00 am »
If the age old adage "your only as old as the woman you feel"...is applied to bikes...its all in the mind. There is no age to give up biking. I have toured europe with guys in their 70s, who have no thoughts of giving up biking.I also think of Viv, a married woman in her late fifties who merrily ventured forth into her first ( of several) euro tours without a moments thought on her FZS600...its not beyond anyone.

My advice is to lay the bike up, wait for the first warm bright spring day next year , then all these thoughts will vanish !

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2012, 08:54:31 am »
Totally agree with everyone, DON'T SELL IT, you will regret it, it owes you nothing, I have just bought a new Fazer 8 as I have arthritis in my hip and could no longer manage the weight of FZ1S after two brilliant years. Now loosening up and feeling like a proper Fazer.
[/size][/color]Been riding litre sports bikes for the last 10 years and thought I'd hate going back to a "smaller" one, but so far loving it.[/font] 8)
[/size][/color]Believe me I am a lot older than you and hope the day is long off when I have to give up, my neighbour was still riding his into his 80's and I currently have a friend in his mid seventies who is still enjoying his bike.[/font]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Hogi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2012, 10:14:32 pm »
Agree with all the above, give up the riding through the winter if you must (and I fail to see the attraction of that tbh) but keep her for the return of Spring.

Not long now - the shortest day is just over a week away and the days will start to get brighter and warmer....well brighter anyway! :)
Its later than you think

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2012, 01:25:50 pm »
Keep it and get some heated gloves  :D

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2012, 05:37:29 pm »
I've been riding since I was 12 and hope to go on till in unable to handle the weight of a bike (47 now and still think I'm 20)

I'm more risk averse now than then but it doesn't stop me making progress  :lol

Trossman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - RSV Mille
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 December 2012, 10:57:22 am »
I am 55 today  and really pissed off 'cos it's pissing down and blowing a gale that means it's not really a sound plan to go for a spin on my "other bike", an Aprilia RSV-R.

The fact that it's probably the slowest ridden RSV in the UK does not bother me one little bit, because when I am out on it I truly am Max Biaggi (or at least a tall, fat, old version from South Wales, Dai Biaggi)

The point is, I can't imagine a time when I won't want to feel like Max Biaggi now and again.

For fecks sake don't sell it, keep it in the shed, go and sit on it and talk to it (we all do that don't we?!) now and again and go out on the days you feel like a spin and be your Max Biaggi.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible

Gray fox

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2012, 05:47:46 pm »
Can't believe you would sell a bike because you are 54, didn't buy my gen 1 untill i was 59. 6 years later i am still thrashing it and loving every minute.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2012, 06:05:50 pm »
i do that same trek every day, its not cold in my transit :lol  keep the bike for summer we live in  motorcycle heaven, brecon etc etc etc etc, 8)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2012, 06:55:29 pm »
A guy was still racing a 125 at the TT aged 72!!    You're a youngster!   Biking keeps you alive.   If you sell,  I can tell you,  you will regret it.  I once sold a bike because of pressure from the wife.   I lasted 4 months, before I had to get another one.  Bigger and faster.   Get yourself a cheap motor runaround for winter.   
Head Focced

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2012, 11:46:49 am »
   I lasted 4 months, before I had to get another one.  Bigger and faster.   [size=78%] [/size]

Wife or Bike?

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2012, 12:57:23 pm »
   I lasted 4 months, before I had to get another one.  Bigger and faster.   

Wife or Bike?

ha ha ha!!  :rollin   I couldn't find a buyer for the wife on ebay,  so I'm stuck with  her.   Waiting for better times,  then I'll send her to a plastic surgeon for an overhaul. 
Head Focced

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2012, 08:40:25 pm »
If Devilsyam and Falcon could turn their hand to cosmetic surgery on wives instead Fazers they could be on a real winner. :lol

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2012, 08:52:26 pm »
 :eek :eek    :rollin
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 December 2012, 09:14:02 pm »
I shudder to think what sort of makeover Luke would come up with ... ;)

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2012, 05:30:00 pm »
 :lol What Mike said.

Yes... For Luke. She should be tattood from head to foot, mirror blanking horns of bling down her spine, and glass windows near the entry points so you can see whats happening on the inside.

Mike would probabley do a performance enhansing vagina tuck and improve lubrication.  :rollin
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 December 2012, 08:37:56 pm »
:lol What Mike said.

Yes... For Luke. She should be tattood from head to foot, mirror blanking horns of bling down her spine, and glass windows near the entry points so you can see whats happening on the inside.

Mike would probabley do a performance enhansing vagina tuck and improve lubrication.  :rollin

Hahahahaha! Funniest forum post this year!