Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:21 pm

Author Topic: Just got my first FZS1000 couple of questions  (Read 2384 times)

cojonesdeloro

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Just got my first FZS1000 couple of questions
« on: 03 January 2018, 09:51:34 pm »
Hi all,

Just took delivery of an 05 FZS1000S,

I'm looking at going back to a standard can, I have found some on EBay, just wondered if they are all the same system from 01-05?

Also my right hand switch gear has a blank where I would normally find a switch for side/main beam etc, the lights are hard wired to be on all the time, is this standard?

Please excuse the newbie questions, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers.
Daz.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my first FZS1000 couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2018, 06:28:03 am »
I'd encourage you to check out the FAQ at the top of the main page, it sounds like your bike is a US import and the FAQ will help you confirm this as well as giving you a lot more useful information. As far as I am aware the OEM silencer should be the same fit for all GEN1 bikes but I can't see why you would want to fit a heavier more restricted system unless you're in a country that requires OEM kit to pass an annual inspection.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2018, 06:59:16 am by PieEater »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2018, 06:58:59 am »
The headlight switch was removed from the UK/EU market Gen 1 in 2003 or thereabouts so that's normal and doesn't indicate yours might be a US import. :)

The 2005 year stock silencer has 3 tubes inside the link pipe which are part of the token catcon fitted to the final year Fazers.  Makes no difference to fit or performance if you happen to get one for your bike.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2018, 04:09:22 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking at going back to a standard can, I have found some on EBay, just wondered if they are all the same system from 01-05?

Also my right hand switch gear has a blank where I would normally find a switch for side/main beam etc, the lights are hard wired to be on all the time, is this standard?

Cheers.
Daz.

Whereabouts in the country are you Daz? Ive got two standard cans in my garage You're welcome to one of them FOC if you can collect? I really would rather not bother packing it up to post it. I'm based in RG8 0AJ area   

cojonesdeloro

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2018, 05:31:52 pm »
Hi all,

Cheers.
Daz.

Whereabouts in the country are you Daz? Ive got two standard cans in my garage You're welcome to one of them FOC if you can collect? I really would rather not bother packing it up to post it. I'm based in RG8 0AJ area   

Cheers for the offer bud, I'm in gods own country (South Yorkshire) so you are a bit out of my way, thanks anyway, very good of you to offer.

Daz.

cojonesdeloro

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2018, 05:35:25 pm »
The headlight switch was removed from the UK/EU market Gen 1 in 2003 or thereabouts so that's normal and doesn't indicate yours might be a US import. :)

The 2005 year stock silencer has 3 tubes inside the link pipe which are part of the token catcon fitted to the final year Fazers.  Makes no difference to fit or performance if you happen to get one for your bike.

Thanks for the info bud, It is a UK bike I have so just wanted to check it wasn't a mod or something strange.

Cheers.
Daz.

cojonesdeloro

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2018, 05:38:38 pm »
I'd encourage you to check out the FAQ at the top of the main page, it sounds like your bike is a US import and the FAQ will help you confirm this as well as giving you a lot more useful information. As far as I am aware the OEM silencer should be the same fit for all GEN1 bikes but I can't see why you would want to fit a heavier more restricted system unless you're in a country that requires OEM kit to pass an annual inspection.

I did check the FAQ but couldn't find anything re standard systems. I understand what you mean bud but I just don't like noisy cans, It has a Fuel can fitted that isn't too bad but on long trips I find them anoying.

Cheers.
Daz.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
I did check the FAQ but couldn't find anything re standard systems. I understand what you mean bud but I just don't like noisy cans, It has a Fuel can fitted that isn't too bad but on long trips I find them anoying.

Cheers.
Daz.
Fair enough, though I have a Fuel can and with the baffle in I wouldn't say it's much louder than the OEM can just a different tone. I take it you definitely have the baffle fitted? If you have it might be worthwhile taking it out just to check it hasn't been modified to make the can a bit louder. Fuel can sell you a replacement baffle if necessary. Failing that maybe when you get your OEM can you could send the Fuel one back to Fuel to get it re-packed and try it. It just seems a shame to add the extra weight and restriction to the bike, especially if it's been Ivanised but I'm guessing that's not the case !?!

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2018, 07:19:57 pm »
Another thing to Bear in mind is has it been ivanised, a standard can might cause problems if it’s had a full monty, mike might be able to advise better.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2018, 06:18:28 pm »
Hi Bud.
I'm in (S/Yorks ) too.
Mine is a 2003 Gen 1 UK spec, my side & dip beam are permanently on, No sidelight/Dip beam switch (Blanked off).
If you get stuck with any spannering/Mods etc, gimme a PM, I'll nip over & help out ...  :thumbup