Date: 27-04-24  Time: 10:15 am

Author Topic: FZ6 S2 Throttle delay / dead spot  (Read 1180 times)

Faz03

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
FZ6 S2 Throttle delay / dead spot
« on: 10 December 2022, 02:57:43 pm »
I have a 2003 FZS600 and recently purchased a 2007 S2 FZ6. The FZS throttle response is smooth and predictable but the throttle on the S2 is just the opposite, it seems to have a dead spot when first turned then suddenly takes!. Not good when you are trying to smoothly increase speed coming out of corners. Anyone had this problem or any ideas on how to smooth out the throttle response?
« Last Edit: 11 December 2022, 07:20:20 pm by Faz03 »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: FZ6 S2 Throttle delay / dead spot
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2022, 05:56:53 pm »
I didn't think that the S2 version was launched until 2007. The S2 actually smoothed out the throttle roll on from shut somewhat, although still not perfect. Some riders have fitted a 4 degree ignition advancer and claim that to smooth it out. Some also alter the the fuel mixture in the bike diagnostics system. I fitted a Power Commander 5 and had it set up on a dynamometer. May also possibly be a faulty/incorrectly set throttle position sensor and/or incorrectly adjusted cables. Bes to start with the easiest and cheapest potential solutions. Oh, and Id suggest not using E10 fuel, but that's a personal thing.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2022, 06:42:19 pm »
There were issues with throttle response with the early FZ6. Many replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) which  was a suggested change by Yamaha at a service if it the bike had an erattic at idle and  surge when riding. Ensure the Air Filter is clean/new and the Plugs and Caps are good before going further if still the same after that  I would suggest changing the TPS and balance the Throttle bodies then set the idle and TPS to suit. If still the same then get the ECU reflashed.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2022, 01:08:29 am »
Get a copy of the Haynes Manual or search for a copy of the FZ6 Service Manual and look for details of how to put the bike in Diag (nostic) mode.

Diag 1 shows the output of the Throttle Position Sensor. It should scroll smoothly from (IIRC) around 17-18 to 99-100 as you open and close the throttle.

If it doesn't, it should be replaced. There was a recall on them many years ago, but you may not be able to get that done now.

Whilst you're at it, I'd suggest stripping down the right hand switch gear and throttle and checking the cables and action, then clean everything up if there's rust and apply lube into the cable tubes if needed. Also check the throttle freeplay is in tolerance.

After that, look at the cable connection at the engine end and see if they move smoothly.

Faz03

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2022, 07:28:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies and apologies - it is 2007! I'll start with the Diag and check that is ok then check the switch gear - the bike was standing for some time before I purchased it so dirt / rust is a possibility. Throttle freeplay is in tolerance so that's ok. Thanks for the help :)